Soundtrack - tinnitus

So, watching nothing but horror and thriller movies on the approach to Halloween.

I’ve got a little tinnitus on my own. It’s not fun. Now, every freaking movie and TV show loves to fill a tense or scary scene with tinnitus squeal. Like, what ever happened to suspenseful music. Or maybe a low buzzing dissonant chord. I’m getting a little sick of this cheap trick. Anyone else hate it? Love it?

Re: Soundtrack - tinnitus

Yes. I also have a bit of the tinnitus, which is bad enough on its own. And its really creeping into a lot of shows as a sound effect- at times its a little rough. I'm not sure what can be done about it though other than avoiding TV entirely, and we all know how well that works.

I have some slight tinnitus, probably from years of going to punk rock shows.

It's tolerable, except for high pitched sounds and people whistling near by. Then I'm like a dog wincing at a dog whistle.

I also have tinnitus from going to a lot of metal and punk shows in the past 15 years (and fireworks didn't help either). I've started wearing earplugs these days but the damage unfortunately already has been done.

Do you have examples of movies or shows that use that nasty sound?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I got tinnitus over 35 years ago while in the Army. I forgot to put my earplugs in while firing off several artillery shells from inside a self propelled howitzer. Lost my hearing for a over a week. I’ve had tinnitus ever since. (edited)

@ Baird: I have the same sensitivity to high pitch sounds now. I can’t hear them like before. It’s more like a hiss thats very unpleasant.

@ Bas: It is almost every action or horror movie made now. If you’re paying attention to it, you’ll start noticing it. Maybe best to try and ignore it as much as possible.

I have it in my right ear from having a bike tube explode next to it, I can hear it in quiet environments but thankfully not around every day ambience. I know exactly what you mean though, it's really annoying when I hear it and it's been used in a lot of shows now for some reason. A couple of times I got pissed because I couldn't figure out if my ear was ringing or not.

Do any of you like dairy products a lot?

I love all dairy products. A Lot.

But, as I get older, the dairy consumption it done in moderation.

Does dairy make it worse?

I’ve also seen a couple movies (war) where a bomb goes off and everyone is rolling around with ringing and numbed hearing. its still not fun there, but at least they got it right.

PSA - for the youngins: protect your ears.

permanent ringing and having to ask everyone to repeat stuff sucks.

I saw ministry play in, I dunno, 93? 94?

My buddy was a guitar tech for them, got me in, and I was right in front.

It was one of the shows that was in the "in case you didn't feel like showing up" video and cd, where Corey O'Brian, the skateboarder, sang "so what."

They had like, 4 drummers, 3-4 guitarists, I don't even remember, but multiples of every instrument on stage.

I couldn't hear for two weeks. Not like ringing, but straight up sounds like I'm underwater while people above are speaking.

Great show, though

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I love all dairy products. A Lot.

>

> But, as I get older, the dairy consumption it done in moderation.

>

> Does dairy make it worse?

>

> I’ve also seen a couple movies (war) where a bomb goes off and everyone

> is rolling around with ringing and numbed hearing. its still not fun

> there, but at least they got it right.

>

> PSA - for the youngins: protect your ears.

>

> permanent ringing and having to ask everyone to repeat stuff sucks.

I wore ear plugs to every show I've been too, I've got some shit time to time, but being able to hear without the ringing afterwards is nice.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> @ Bas: It is almost every action or horror movie made now. If you’re

> paying attention to it, you’ll start noticing it. Maybe best to try and

> ignore it as much as possible.

Luckily I don't watch many modern movies. Most action movies are just really crappy lazy CGI stuff these days and CGI pretty much ruins a movie for me, i can just as well play GTA if i want to see computer graphics killing people.

Funnily enough i just saw "Baby Driver" 2 days ago, which is about a guy with tinnitus, so there was a lot of annoying tinnitus sounds but it actually had to do with the story. Also the soundtrack was great, whenever a soundtrack has both Focus and the Golden Earring back to back, you win in my book.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account