Why are Honda Goldwing’s cheap?

Overpriced Parts /

May because they’re a 7-800 pound sled?

But damn! the price!

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/d/canton-1983-goldwing-dont-buy-problem/7212165148.html

75B5714C-EB53-4A81-9BEB-36CCDC43E7C5.jpeg

I wonder about that carb mod? that sounds like a good idea, anymore than two carbs were always a pain

Re: Why are Honda Goldwing’s cheap?

That's pretty steep compared to MN, you can buy them all day for around a grand. But they have usually been sitting, and most people do not know how to properly store a bike, so you get the carb issues, and it is EXPENSIVE to have them tuned/cleaned at a shop, the timing belts also require maint, another spendy endeavor. I have heard of that carb mod, even seen one for sale, I think it is a weber, and it certainly seems a simpler solution, were I in the market for a touring bike I would surely check that out, offer $1,500.

i think they just arent popular. Lots of complicated parts means lots of stuff to break/probably isnt working right

Ive seen some chopped down and made into scramblers and they look freaking awesome. i almost went that route but bought my BMW to build a scrambler out of instead.

look at this massive, gorgeous machine...

0A570387-8819-458F-8133-DF62C0F01959.png

Pushrod Fifty /

Ive seen a bunch of nonrunners for sale with low asking prices. I saw one on CL for 200.00 that was clean, garage stored and had enough storage space to live out of. The ad stated that it wouldnt start. Lucky for me I dont have a truck.

I have thought about buying one since they are so cheap. Usually have a ton of miles on them. They are just so huge. My 900 is like the goldwing sport model. It has 10 gears so can tow a trailer and came with full dress like the goldwing. Mine even has aftermarket floor boards with heel toe shift and giant car like brake pedal. I have a gold wing fender on the front and have lowered the bike considerably and got a proper seat. But man is it heavy.

20201003_145209.jpg

I saw one for free on FB Marketplace, my dad has one a police version in a shed. I think they are littered in every other old man's garage... so the reason they are so cheap is supply and demand. That being said I do think they are high quality machines.

I've seen quite a few for 500 or less, not running of course but it's a honda so itll be fine. Gotta find one with the mags and take all the additional crap off and make a clean cruiser one day.

because they're a fucking nightmare to work on.

They're cheap because the market for them is old dudes who die and then their kids don't want them. They're also cheap because they're great bikes that are reliable if serviced and old dudes are good about servicing their stuff

I always figured it's because they're complicated. Kind of thing that's awesome until all the little shit starts wearing out then it will nickel and dime you to death.

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> because they're a fucking nightmare to work on.

This^^^

Used to work on them. By the time you get one road worthy you have a fortune into them. They will need timing belts, water pump, fork seals, tires, brakes, master cylinder rebuilt, calipers rebuilt, battery, carbs rebuilt and synchronized, fuel pump, valves adjusted and fluids changed. (edited)

I can't go on Craigslist or marketplace for anything without coming off wanting a goldwing, but if I can wait the 5 seconds to cool down I remember I actually don't want a goldwing

Pushrod Fifty /

I wouldnt ride anything that I couldnt pick up if I dropped it, I think 400lb is my limit. That could scare alot of people away from them.

Ive seen BMW airhead garage finds asking as low as $1500.00. That would be a better investment than the Gold Wing, which couldnt sell for more 3k no matter how much time and money someone dumped into it.

I was out riding yesterday and parked in town. A guy walked up to me and told me about his Gold Wing project. It was overheating in two cylinders after he flushed out the coolant system. It sounded like there could have been an air pocket in the system, that he could try parking on a steep hill and filling the system as the bike warms up. Had to do that on my old 300D and it worked. Maybe someone knows here, I can relay some info if I see him again.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account