Why are we so IGNORANT in this country?

Just read another article where they traced an outbreak of Covid to a football game....in WI where cases are surging, people are suing the state over tightening bar/restaurant occupancy levels and have repeatedly sued the gov for the mask mandate, we know how you get this shit, yet insist on doing things that spread it around? I give up, humans are selfish, spoiled wastes of genetic material that deserve everything they get.

Re: Why are we so IGNORANT in this country?

As Reddit would say, Always has been.

I think you and I are reaching the same level here. It's obvious people will not care about each other and suffering and evil will prevail.

Best to follow your advice, exercise, sunlight, and computer moderation. The last part is very difficult for me, I grew up with the computer, it has given me everything. But if it distresses my mental health I guess it could be argued it will take everything.

Mankind has always been cruel to one another we just never had 24/7 coverage of it until recently.

I think we just have to take a break.

I was thinking about space travel and I really am grateful we can not make it to other planets and spread our misery. Mankind's suffering will end eventually even if it means waiting for the universe itself to collapse, it will end, which is oddly comforting I think.

I can't imagine what it must be like to "grow up" with the computer, it really would change how you think/interact with others vs. someone who did not, I agree that some people have always sucked, but it seemed that less of them did pre-internet, maybe because they felt they needed each other more, when every whim could not be brought to life with a keystroke? Or maybe because manners were a "thing" because people actually socialized in person and were needed so as every gathering was not a brawl? I'm GLAD I did not grow up with the computer, as I remember a slower, simpler time, can't go back, but you can remember and live there in your head. :)

I remember watching Natural Born Killers where they thought they were warped from too much T.V. haha or that Jim Carrey Cable Guy movie, same premise, less murdery.

The computer.... fuck.... it's something beyond yesteryear's cable tv, it really is. I think one of the guys on here mentioned it's overuse as a spell... it is and I struggle to stay away from it.

Nonstop Worldnews, stock trading, arbitrage, prawn, fighting with others in the OT, Reddit, online work... haha.. it's just addictive. Did I mention one time I got a free mercedes? Did I mention I've found many girlfriends online? I mean it gives so much yet it's changed us.

Buckle up for transhumanism and cybernetic implants. . I think that stuff will kind of work but burn up people's brains at an early age. Maybe I'll be the old guy saying things are all messed up and these will be the good old days, haha.

I can't wait until I get jaded too. I want to be like,, arghhh back in my day we had to type and read!! No images in our heads, no augmented reality!! Listen you young punk I cut my teeth on the cyptocurrency . .. I timed the dogecoin pumps tik tok tik tok....

I do really miss the practice of mentorship though, all mine are dead. I remember riding my bicycle to old people's houses and one had an aviary and taught me about parakeets, another taught me about flight, one taught me boxing, my dad taught mechanics, another taught woodworking, a guy from the soviet union taught me chess...... fuck, that was a tradition going back who knows how long..

Now maybe stranger danger or the infinite amount of information online has really killed the tradition. (edited)

Before there was internet your world was infinitely smaller so the chance of interacting with assholes was also infinitely smaller. The amount has remained the same.

On the subject of being taught things by "people up the street" that still happens when you allow your kids out on the street. I'm shure it's not this way in all of the US, but I've seen news articles about people getting child services after them because they let their kid walk to school by himself.

When i was young i frequently stopped by an old bicycle shop in the neighbourhood and the guy that worked there showed me how to fix bicycles. When i needed my bicycle fixed he would always refuse and instead tell me how to do it. I learned so much from that man, sadly he passed away last year.

it's important to remember it's not everyone, it's far from everyone. there are a shitload of selfish ignorant fools, here and anywhere. It's not that they've grown, or represent any majority, theyre just the loudest and proudest about it.

You don't see the 200 people responsibly eschewing large gatherings and sharing a meal with family at home, you see the 50 people mask free flouting responsible actions and endangering dozens more. Just like you don't hear about the 100 drivers that avoided getting wasted and drove home ate Saturday night, it's only the stupid selfish asshat that got shitfaced and plowed his car into someone's dad on their way to a 3rd shift gig.

Anyway, I maintain some hopefulness and optimism based on the idea that it's only a loud but not dominant fraction of people who've so proudly embraced this selfishness, anti-intellectualism, ignorance and disregard

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I remember watching Natural Born Killers

I must chime in... I absolutely hated that movie...

Since Im on that topic throw the Devils Rejects in that crap bucket as well. Ive also thought the thin red line was just terrible.

Now I hate Full Metal Jacket for years but rewatched it a couple years back and actually have new respect for the movie. I then tried the thin red line again and still hate that movie.

Sorry for the intrusion, everyone back to the pile!!

I dont think its so much "ignorant" as it is the fact nobody cares about anyone or anything but themselves. Blame the "me generation" for instilling that.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I remember watching Natural Born Killers

In my defense I was like 12 when I saw it....

WOW - cant imagine "growing up on the computer"...

...maybe I can not relate though because I grew up on bikes (pedal then mopeds then motorcycles as primary -secondary - tertiary methods of transportation) so I did not socialize as much as ride...

Try to imagine getting nostalgic about computer programs and operating systems. I know I can't be the only one.

I don't use it enough to miss it.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Before there was internet your world was infinitely smaller so the

> chance of interacting with assholes was also infinitely smaller. The

> amount has remained the same.

>

> On the subject of being taught things by "people up the street" that

> still happens when you allow your kids out on the street. I'm shure it's

> not this way in all of the US, but I've seen news articles about people

> getting child services after them because they let their kid walk to

> school by himself.

>

> When i was young i frequently stopped by an old bicycle shop in the

> neighbourhood and the guy that worked there showed me how to fix

> bicycles. When i needed my bicycle fixed he would always refuse and

> instead tell me how to do it. I learned so much from that man, sadly he

> passed away last year.

^ So true, get this, when in 2nd and 3rd grade, we used to be dismissed from school to walk home for lunch and then walk back to school for the afternoon, then back home, sometimes walked with friends, sometimes alone, all the kids did it, it was not far, but no one thought a thing about it. Bet that is not going on today! I don't totally hate the internet, but I think when it became destructive/too invasive, was with the advent of the smart phone, you now can be bombarded with pop culture/advertising ALL the time, and it is too much, too easy, people are tuned out to the actual world, living instead in the virtual, and that just can't be healthy.

Natural Born Killers was awesome. :) Never saw Devil's rejects, got to look that up. Full Metal Jacket was pretty good as I recall, but the older I get the less interest I have in war movies, Saving Private Ryan was a bit too much for me, but I remember a time I would have enjoyed it. Life is odd.

Ohh man, saving private ryan

My "father" I put the quotes up because my stepfather was my dad. He was the shit. Best man I've ever known..

Anyway, my genetic "father" attempted to have a relationship when I was young. Use to bring me to movies. Brought me to saving private ryan when I was 7!!!what a shit show.

After that event horizon, sphere, mimic. Great stuff for a shy seven year old.lol

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The root cause of the decline..

Jerry Springer and MTV.

Nah, it's the bicycle helmet.....

Wife and I went for a bike ride today, no helmets. But still I wouldn't fault anyone for wearing one, on paper it makes sense... Did you know there was a push for people to wear driving helmets? Haha, it makes sense too, all about how much risk one is willing to endure I guess.

I'm so glad we don't have to wear bicycle helmets here. I do hope they get mandatory for people on e-bikes though. Fatal bicycle accidents are on the rise here and it's all because of old people on e-bikes.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

My other theory had to do with Punxsutawney Phil and the stovepipe hat cabal. They plotted and planned it for centuries...

Don't drive angry...

I can be a bit excessive bout helmets, I watched a friends life ruined and the ripples that fractured his family and friends lives, certainly one of the worst moments in my life, because we weren't willing to wear helmets for the minor risks envisioned.

Because ignorance is supposed to be bliss!! But some people put it in a pipe and smoke it!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account