Why is the government so obsessed with getting schools open?

Everywhere they do it cases of the virus go off the charts? Lets dumb it down for the gop, pandemic=no large groups of people in one place. How hard is that to grasp? Yet the orange one bleats "open the schools" at every opportunity? This will just lead to another lock-down, which is the opposite of what they claim to want, the opposite of what anyone, regardless of political affiliation wants, hell the gop in MN is saying get us the senate seats and we will lift the covid restrictions, even as our cases are trending upwards? WTF? Anyone understand the "reasoning" behind this absurdity, as I sure don't. You can't wish/pray away a disease!

Re: Why is the government so obsessed with getting schools open?

Maintain the status quo regardless of the outcome. Peasant blood means nothing to them.

They need to keep them open to babysit the low wage worker's children. (edited)

I guess, I mean public schools ARE little conformity factories, I always thought once you learned to read that was all you needed, because you can learn anything you want at that point, school was just teaching you to conform, America can do no wrong, never challenge "authority" keep your "permanent record" clean etc, maybe they really are afraid of people thinking for themselves? Teachers are quitting/burning out en masse, so soon there may not be people to man the "factories", reminds you of the line "what if they had a war and nobody came?"

That and they need the cheap labor..... if the parents are at home watching their children who will wipe their asses and mow their lawns?

Rest assured all of the proper precautions will be taken for their children.

I really believe the private school system should be abolished. It would fix so many problems..... sorry to digress.

But yes, god forbid any disruption of the status quo.... if there is blood...haha, well, the machine runs on it.

Wow. Just wow.

wow just wow- Self-parodying phrase commonly uttered by intellectually sheltered political ideologues expressing visceral contempt for ideas they can't logically rebut.

koko.png

It just does not seem safe to have schools open when the virus is not under control, you can't argue with the numbers of infections when they do? I don't want another lock-down, that sucked, we have to maintain the social distancing to keep some semblance of normal, to be able to go out to eat and do the other things we like, if you throw people together in schools athletic events and concerts etc, we lose any ground gained. I just don't see the rush?

wow.jpg

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>I just don't see the rush?

dow.JPG

Where do you start?

A lot of kids only get one meal a day and that's

only because they have a school to go to. A lot of kids have only one parent who works several jobs and school is the only safe place they have.

Also, a lot of kids live in shelters.

So are disadvantaged children the main driver of school's re-opening? No, but it highlights the complexity of the current problem we're facing. It also shows why a pre-planned pandemic response and unified message from the Federal Government is invaluable for protecting the entire country and not just the most vulnerable.

My biggest complaint was that Federal Stimulus payments paid directly to citizens should have been immediate and reoccurring on a monthly basis instead of Steve Mnuchin's Country Club getting millions.

If the Financial stress of this pandemic was reduced, many parents wouldnt be forced back to work to survive and the push to re-open schools would have been far less forceful. (edited)

Got your thesaurus handy this morning, I see. You are a prime example of our failed education system. Yeah, let’s make our kids stupider by keeping them out of school. Let’s also make them completely socially awkward and unable to handle normal life situations. Just like most of you on here. No wonder... you want more little mini-mes running around.

Let’s create more rejects that can’t handle life, shall we? Why not, this site is full of em. Must be “normal”, right? This little micro-jism of moped army isn’t exactly the best cross section of America to be gauging society. Y’all don’t represent a true spectrum of citizenry.

We already have one of the worst education systems in the world, and many nations are intellectually superior, so let’s make the next generation the dumbest yet, by letting their dipshit parents teach em at home. Yeah, sounds legit.

> Roff Junior Wrote:

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

>

>

> >I just don't see the rush?

> >

Two weeks to slow the curve, remember?

What rush? Shit, man! You can’t hide from this shit forever!

> Seth B Wrote:

> rejects that can’t handle life, this site is full of em.

potkettle.jpg

You're delightfully stupid.

koko.png

Was not talking so much about home schooling by the parents, but the online curriculum? I know there are issues with accessibility, and that's real. So you think the social aspect is that important? (not being a wise ass, just asking) as it has had no real effect on the last several generations, the kids all live online anyway, why not teach them there, until we get a handle on this, it may take a few yrs. Keeping people apart DID help, now when they are getting tired of that and getting back together in schools etc the rates are climbing, who wants that? Sometimes we have to sacrifice for the greater good, those less able to fight off a disease, and the country is always evolving, maybe this is part of that, I just don't know, but I do know that putting a bunch of kids under one roof with a disease like this about is just asking for increased infection rates.

The low wage babysitters is a legit one. in a broader sense. I mean many people can't work without child care that doesn't exist without community child care, and which isn't affordable without schools. There's really no in between

what do you do if you've got a 7 year old and a 5 year old and need to work 8-5 M-F at a production plant. Send em to school, go to work. You could send em off with your gransparents, and they take em to the park and all the grandparents die which is kinda what drove a lot of the deaths in Italy early on. I just mean it's very much not simple

and for kids it's super hard, school is their primary socialization and arguably for many ages the main thing they need from it is developing socially. Not seeing anyone but your parents or going out to play for months, that's an eternity to a kid, and it's absolutely going to have massive repurcussions.

So yes containing the virus is critical but it's not easy to keep schools closed or even virtual only because they provide other things that our society's come to rely on - and it's not necessarily a bad thing that school doubles as a free babysitter for low income earners, like that's kindof a good thing. Yes I agree theres a shortage of support for poor families, but the fact that school can act as a support is pretty great - normally.

Then what are your choices - cut off schools, some fraction of parents can't work (my wife had to quit her job since we can't send our kid to school) and poverty and depression ensues. Then we gotta fill that with social welfare which it seems obvious should be a priority but that money has to come from somewhere, and the labor is still required too, I mean that's how we function. I don't know I think the best balance probably would be rigid enforcement of safety protocols, limited class sizes etc, a lot of the things we're trying, and really improving healthcare overall and workers rights so that PEOPLE CAN STAY HOME WHEN THEY OR KIDS ARE FEELING SICK. because right now THAT seems to be the boot really grinding this pandemic into the backs of workers. Not just that they don't earn enough, that theres shit for support and this insane "get back to work 3 days after getting out of the hospital while still visibly sick" message from our president, and our healthcare is so fucked that going to the doctor and missing a day of work is the potential difference between paying rent this month or not, so you have to work which means your kid has to goto school even if you're one or both sick, and we're extra fucked.

Anyway, my point is just that the answer isn't as obvious as it might seem because all possible scenarios suck. I mean this is a global pandemic and it sucks, theres no silver bullet or easy win, we just gotta try to pick the least painful loss. And honestly this country has fucking epically blown it...

“...as it has had no real effect on the last several generations“

It has had a horrible affect! Look around! That is a large part of the world’s problems today. I absolutely believe the social aspect is that important. All you really have to do is look around, and then look at history.

And, I’m not talking about homeschooling either. I am talking about an online curriculum that isn’t enforced by lazy parents. School at home is not going to work long term. It’s already been too long, and we ARE seeing the Kids will do the minimum to get by. And this will be the dumbest generation in history. Wait for it.

We have, when our only option is because people are poor we have to send kids to school where they will contract and spread a disease, that's wonderful. I'm getting more and more in the let it burn camp for this once great country, we used to care about the people, now all that is cared about is profit. Fuck it.

> Seth B Wrote:

> Got your thesaurus handy this morning, I see. You are a prime example of

> our failed education system. Yeah, let’s make our kids stupider by

> keeping them out of school. Let’s also make them completely socially

> awkward and unable to handle normal life situations. Just like most of

> you on here. No wonder... you want more little mini-mes running around.

>

> Let’s create more rejects that can’t handle life, shall we? Why not,

> this site is full of em. Must be “normal”, right? This little micro-jism

> of moped army isn’t exactly the best cross section of America to be

> gauging society. Y’all don’t represent a true spectrum of citizenry.

>

> We already have one of the worst education systems in the world, and

> many nations are intellectually superior, so let’s make the next

> generation the dumbest yet, by letting their dipshit parents teach em at

> home. Yeah, sounds legit.

The irony of this statement from someone I'm sure supports trump and would probably vote against increased school funding...

I am curious about your "true spectrum of citizenry", or silly assaults like "can't handle life", what've you got to support that? I think we're all handling life pretty well? Is the being concerned about the wellbeing others the part that you disagree with? You make a fair point I agree with that there are serious repercussions of trying to close schools, but you do it with the same one-sided idiocy that refuses to recognize there are also severe repercussions of opening schools.

There's no easy answer, and you're a fool to pretend there is, and moreso that only you seem to know it

> Seth B Wrote:

> “...as it has had no real effect on the last several generations“

>

> It has had a horrible affect! Look around! That is a large part of the

> world’s problems today. I absolutely believe the social aspect is that

> important. All you really have to do is look around, and then look at

> history.

>

> And, I’m not talking about homeschooling either. I am talking about an

> online curriculum that isn’t enforced by lazy parents. School at home is

> not going to work long term. It’s already been too long, and we ARE

> seeing the Kids will do the minimum to get by. And this will be the

> dumbest generation in history. Wait for it.

I can see that, what I was getting at is that already seems to have happened? Not trying to start an argument, just looking for viewpoints. Lazy parents already don't make their kids do homework....? What's the difference if it is online homework vs school given homework?

also I think "lazy" is probably pretty unfair a majority of the time, rather they lack the time or resources to devote to being a fulltime (or more) worker AND being a teacher. I don't think that's often the parent's fault of laziness. I'd be curious to compare your quantity and usage of free time versus those we'd deem "lazy"

Lazy parenting has zero to do with work ethic.

. (edited)

> Seth B Wrote:

> It has had a horrible affect! And this will be the dumbest generation in history. Wait for it.

confusing-words-affect-effect.png

Yep, ya got me their. I don’t usually fuck that won up. I must.have .been typinG in a hurry.

> Seth B Wrote:

> the dumbest generation in history.

trump.jpg

Open up!

epstein.png

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account