1985 Toyota Corolla

84k miles Original owner ( his mom ) car runs ok he says - has a/c - automatic - Rose gray metallic color - he has the original owners manual - window sticker - order sheet with options and some manual for the radio - she probably needs tires and a tune up - he's asking one gee - it would be a second car for me - i've always wanted an old corolla but i'm not sure because its carbureted and has probably sat for some time - no plates on it - online reviews say these corollas are stout and very much reliable - what would you pay ?

IMG_1335.JPG
IMG_1334.JPG
IMG_1337.JPG

Re: 1985 Toyota Corolla

Pushrod Fifty /

Thats pretty mint! My old GF had thd same car, it was a tin can but cool.

800-1200-1500, how many payments is that? You'll save so much money who cares about saving nickels. The fact that it's in good shape and has been treated well means you will win...... or not, always a bit of a gamble, but that's my perspective anyway.

I'd pay a grand for that if it runs, worst it may need is a carb overhaul, have that pro done if it is the one with a million vac lines, but it may not need it, run whatever gas out of it, put in a few gallons and a can of sea foam, fill it up and drive it like you stole it, those are amazing cars, were it in MN it would be mine! Looks like the spare may be on the left front? Check in trunk to make sure rim is not all bent from being curbed, if it is, have front end inspected.

I'd pay 600-1000 as it sits. You will have no problems getting it going. The carb is a non issue. Keep changing the oil and it will never die. Watch out for lifter noise. Throw some marvel mystery oil in and let it idle for a while before changing. I do that on anything that sat to get out the gunk and help revive lifters.

Only downside is it's not a manual...if be all over that thing like a hot fudge sundae. Mmm

Let me reintegrate. Your looking at a cheap car that will most likely serve another 200000 miles with very few, if any issues. Omg it's a unicorn buy it.

punkrock randy /

Yeah, too bad automagic transmission. But it’s still gonna run forever and is easily worth 1-2K. Right when they turned FWD too, bummer not an ‘84.

the fuck are you doing, wasting time posting that here?!?!

go buy that shit NOW dude!

My friend was given one like that. It was fuel injected and had almost 300k on it. Car ran fine but our other friend who had it for like 15 years never changed the oil in like 50k. We pulled one of the spark plugs just for shits and giggles and the electrode was burned off but was still sparking I guess because it ran great. Tough little car. I had the chevy nova version but never put it on the road.

punkrock randy /

This came from a time when shit was built to last. I hate today’s “throw away society” cars and everything else. Fuckin plastic shit that won’t last. Well, it’ll be here forever, after it breaks.

Pushrod Fifty /

150k on my Corolla automatic, trans shifts like day one.

205K on my Tercel auto, 3spd just like what's in that car, when I got it no fluid in it, shifted bad, filled it up, like butter, they used to BUILD things back in the day, not like the disposable shit they put out now. BUY IT NOW. :)

I had one once but the 89? The carbs were so insanely fitted with hoses for emissions but still not fuel injected - major shitty

I think it was 72 vac lines, or 76.

I tried to clean the carb cuz it sucked to start, had to warm up for several minutes, labeled all the lines with a paint pen, and then washed all the labels off with the gas accidentally

If you dont care about the AC you could probably pull most of that spaghetti right outta there donchya think?

No, most of it was emissions stuff, you don't need it, but with vac leaks they run poorly, can add a weber or something, but unless the car came out of a junkyard, they actually held up quite well, it was when people started pulling off lines and "all that crap" that they had issues...lol, ask me how I know. ;) These are amazing cars, if it was in MN I would be on my way to work in it in a few hrs. If I could not fix it there is an amazing shop a mile from me that can.

With the rust streak by gas filler door I'd take a real good look at the gas filler pipe all the way to the tank -if it's metal - could be rusted out on top . I've bought NJ cars in the past and they're usually not too rusty but ya never know.

Ours I got for a ciao. straight trade, I think I paid like $75 for that bike. Drove it a lot. the carb fucking sucked. it was some piece of the endless maze of vac lines wrong for sure. I couldn't track it down, tried to address it, never worked right but it at least wound up working the same level of good enuf. Coulda put on a weber but $300 for a carb in a $75 car wasn't something I was willing to pay just to save 2 minutes of warm-up every time I started the car.

If you didn't let it warm up it'd die under any throttle in the 1st 2 minutes. we valet'd it once and the guy just ran back and gave up, "you guys will have to do it, just follow me"

actually they still came RWD through '87, unless it's this 4 door sedan version.

all 2 door corolla's (hatch and coupe) were rwd through 1987!

Fun factttttttt

^ Yep had a rwd coupe, super tough fun car.

punkrock randy /

> Chris Szuba Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> actually they still came RWD through '87, unless it's this 4 door sedan

> version.

>

> all 2 door corolla's (hatch and coupe) were rwd through 1987!

>

> Fun factttttttt

Only the ae86 actually. Fake Toyota news.

punkrock randy /

Not that wiki where I learned, both of my parents were toyota’s. I miss my ‘82 SR5, my ‘86 vanwagon, and my ‘86 and ‘87 4runners. Toyota ruled the ‘80s.

A20E4CEF-9A84-4AFF-88F3-FA99A76A0508.png

Loved my '82 Corolla coupe...

punkrock randy /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Loved my '82 Corolla coupe...

My coupe had rear windows that rolled down too. No B pillar. Just A and C😎

My buddy had a '76 Celica GT it was like that too if I remember right, as were many of the gm land yachts I so loved, ie my '73 Buick Deuce and a quarter, (Electra 225) Google that beast....

punkrock randy /

Hells yeah, i ‘member the 225😎

The days when being able to open up your car thoroughly trumped AC (edited)

@ OP, so did you buy this thing or what? Beater lovers want to know? :)

The guy said it was his moms car and it had sat for a while - ran ok - said his friend is a mechanic and did some work on it but he was never straight with me about what was done - I tried negotiating via text but he wouldn't budge from 1k so i never went to see it - he still has it listed -

I would at least go drive it, 1k does not buy much today, and those are amazing cars. You are lucky to live where they don't rot to pieces as they did here.

Man, just obsessing over this little bomber, If I did not already have 4 cars would consider flying out there and driving it home, only 84k? It's hardly broken in! If it runs would prob throw on cap/rotor and wires and plugs, change oil/filter air filter and I would head for MN, I bet I would make it to. :) I bet it has manual windows too...mmmm! :) Timing belt is only real worry not out of age to replace mileage wise, but it is 35 yrs old, but it is 80's Toyota oem, nothing better. I'll try and shut up now...lol's at me.

Where it was built makes a difference...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account