Dirt Bike kickstart lever

Does anyone know if this it’s normal for kickstart lever to only have a few splines like this one? The shaft in the bike is fully splined. This is the second one I’ve bought and it’s already starting to wipe out the splines.

E8B9DF02-2D13-4496-9F83-4655E6159635.jpeg

Re: Dirt Bike kickstart lever

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Not normal at all.

This is the second one. OEM KTM parts. I don’t know what the deal is

Well, on the bright side, your compression must be great.

Cheer up. Be glad its an easily replaced throw away part. If the splines on the shaft get stripped then ya gotta take the motor apart. Google your bike and the problem. Dig and research. Look for something aftermarket. You cant be the only one having issues with this application.

If I had to guess, you either didnt have the pinch bolt tight enough(or stripped it), spline count was incorrect or it was just made of inferior material. (edited)

Just for reference it’s a KTM SXC 400. It has the LC4 engine.

Seems like you're not tightening down the Kickstarter enough, which allows the Kickstarter to slide on the spline shaft and destroy itself. Tighten it down super hard

> David M. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just for reference it’s a KTM SXC 400. It has the LC4 engine.

Just for reference this a moped site most of which have pedals not kick start. You might get lucky and find someone here thats had one. A ktm site or Google will yield better results. (edited)

Looking at how the pinch bolt is gnarled up I'm questioning if the lever was seated properly when tightened.

> David M. Wrote:

> Just for reference it’s a KTM SXC 400. It has the LC4 engine.

such a good bike. bomb proof motors. Been looking for a nice one for a couple years

Dirty30 Dillon /

Some bikes have only partially splined KS shafts, with a matching arm, so that you can't index the KS in a fucked up way.

That said, I can't imagine on a 400 4t that this would be the case. They need those splines

my inlaw just got the new ktm adventure 390 as a 1st bike. I'm quite jealous.

It's also funny after I've spent almost 15 yrs riding stuff and he jumps in and within a month has probably spent more on bikes than I did In the past decade. that part of me isn't jealous. Not like I don't have the money or really have anything better to buy, but damn nice things are expensive, and leave you feeling like a dummy when you inevitably destroy them. or destroy just the kicker

anyway, that came all short on splines like that? That ain't right at all.

shman shmilroy /

It means that your bolt was too loose braj.

That bolt has to be cranked down. Even more wild is that them Kickstarter bolts tend to loosen themselves up after a while. You most definitely want splines on your little arm there. If, and when, you see any free play between your future starter arm and shaft you don’t want that. When in doubt, crank it...more. Otherwise you will keep creating those meth mouth looking kick starters... or strip the shaft of its oh-so-fine splines which is a big ol’ pain in the ass to fix as someone said earlier in way fewer words.

shman shmilroy /

Take all your damn moped talk back to the main event forum. This is OT dawg. “The Wild West” if you will.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> my inlaw just got the new ktm adventure 390 as a 1st bike. I'm quite

> jealous.

>

> It's also funny after I've spent almost 15 yrs riding stuff and he jumps

> in and within a month has probably spent more on bikes than I did In the

> past decade. that part of me isn't jealous. Not like I don't have the

> money or really have anything better to buy, but damn nice things are

> expensive, and leave you feeling like a dummy when you inevitably

> destroy them. or destroy just the kicker

>

> anyway, that came all short on splines like that? That ain't right at

> all.

I was excited for those and then I watched this FortNine video and it made me feel better about not dropping a bunch on one

Tweaker trash /

Might be cheap metal, gotta buy a good steel one

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account