New bike

Just picked up this 93 honda shadow vt1100c special edition today. Has almost 100k on it but runs great and was well maintained. Has some shit paint work done to it. Want to try and remove it if I can. If anyone has any tips let me know. Paint is in good order and the paint over the tank is starting to flake off in spots. Bike only put me back $650.

20201025_164110.jpg
20201025_161029.jpg
20201025_160905.jpg

Re: New bike

Pics of said paint that needs to be removed

20201025_153935.jpg

Overpriced Parts /

Try a dab of brake parts cleaner on clean white cloth and then have a rag with WD-40 to wipe on it right away so the the factory paint don’t get affected,

I Eliminated Ugly Dayglow green pin striping that was put all over a black bike that way but they are different formulations of brake cleaner so try one out an inconspicuous spot

I tried acetone and good off. I also read about goo gone has a graffiti remover. May try that. Dont wan to fuck up the factory paint if I can help it. At least not on the tank. May just say fuck it and paint it. Have to paint another bike this winter so may just do it at the same time.

I have used ultra fine ( 1000 or 1100 ) grit sand paper wet sand carefully then buff out

Pushrod Fifty /

Try masking or duct tape to pull it off and then rubbing compound, the tank probably wasnt prepped before painting. Laquer thinner would do it for sure. Try cutting a small piece of towel and soak it in the thinner, lay it on the tank with a piece of plastic film over it to keep it from evaporating and let the thinner soak into the paint.

I use to have a vtx1800. Most ridiculous vehicle I've ever owned. That looks much more reasonable.lol

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I use to have a vtx1800. Most ridiculous vehicle I've ever owned. That

> looks much more reasonable.lol

Thing seems super solid. Probably wont keep it long. Figure I will shine her up fix the paint and sell in the spring? Who knows? I may like it. I find it strange that it has drum rear brake. I figured with all the weight they would have done a disc in the rear also? It also has a hydraulic clutch that I have never messed with. Super easy though.

I loved my Shadow Phantom. 750cc

It was big enough for highway, small enough to be fun. Dead simple and Honda reliable. I put tons of miles on that bike as my main commuter and road trips.

In the many times I had to apply panic breaking, the rear wheel locked up every time. I even loosened up the linkage to get less bite because my reflexes always applied too much. Disc rear would be more money and maintenance for no benefit. I like the look of a drum better.

This is one of my favorite pics, done goofing off during family photos.

C131918F-867C-4A34-9533-CF31B5D020FB.jpeg

you're taking that off?!

haha it's sooooo goood! what a priceless piece of ridiculous art, you should totally save that. It's like the only bit of real endearing character on the thing

drum rear's not that weird, It's not a performance bike, and I mean you really are halfway to a car at that point and they're often drum rear and a big drum totally works.

Still, cool bike I'd ride it for sure and sell it for just as sure haha

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> you're taking that off?!

>

> haha it's sooooo goood! what a priceless piece of ridiculous art, you

> should totally save that. It's like the only bit of real endearing

> character on the thing

>

> drum rear's not that weird, It's not a performance bike, and I mean you

> really are halfway to a car at that point and they're often drum rear

> and a big drum totally works.

>

> Still, cool bike I'd ride it for sure and sell it for just as sure haha

Haha got this sweet sturgis dream catcher also.

20201025_133451.jpg

I saw that in the 1st photo, it's so cheesy but kindof iconic time capsule too. Very 90s, though I wouldn't be too surprised to see the same doodle with an '08 under it or whatever haha

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> I saw that in the 1st photo, it's so cheesy but kindof iconic time

> capsule too. Very 90s, though I wouldn't be too surprised to see the

> same doodle with an '08 under it or whatever haha

Started to tear down for paint. My OCD cant look at that shit. Makes me crazy

Ohh man that paint is Soo sweet. You could probably sell that for a pretty penny.

So had a little time tonight to get out to the shop and do some work. Took the emblem off and got all the sticky shit off and started sanding lightly. Got all the paint off and just started to wet sand. I like the shiny black but may just say fuck it and go with the matte black. I can mask off the bike and spray the tank without removing the tank, haha. Will have to remove the front and rear fender to paint so may just try and save the gloss paint. Still on the fence about it? Dont realy want to go all out and put a real paint job on this but may just say fuck it and do it.

20201028_194425.jpg

Already ordered low rise drag bars and some cobra pipes for it so gonna try and keep the cost around 1k

Screenshot_20201025-160555_eBay.jpg

I buff lighly with polishing compound after wet sand...if taking the new paint off didn't work too far in the original paint it should buff back like new

Yeah I got into the og paint so I'm gonna have to start low and work my way back if want the gloss back.

Gonna take some sanding to get it back.

20201028_201302.jpg

As I said I'm not against painting but not gonna be gloss.

Worked in a boat shop for years and my hands can only take so much sanding. It's easy to prep and paint a nice matte black and be done. I could paint and wet sand for days. Not into it for such a cheap bike.

It's going to all work out

Spent a few more minutes with the wet paper and getting closer. Think it will get back. Did a quick buff with some polishing compound. Gonna start back at 600 and work my way back to 2000.

20201028_210119.jpg

Figure as long as I dont burn into the primer I will be ok.

20201028_205837.jpg

Well I got new bars and pipes for it. Also got new blinkers. Should look pretty good.

20201029_211417.jpg
20201029_211915.jpg

That looks a lot better, especially the pipes!

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> That looks a lot better, especially the pipes!

Yeah I'm pretty pumped. I hope the jetting is fine? It had factory pipes with slip in mufflers and was jetted for those. These are cobra drag pipes with the baffles in them so I hope it's ok? Seems to run fine. Dont realy want to rip into the carbs to see what it's got for jets since it runs so good. It sounds alot better and not super loud. I couldn't imagine taking the baffles out. Thing would be way to fucking loud. Got these emgo blinkers for it. Way smaller but just as bright. Gonna tear off the crazy light bar blinker thing on the back and use the same blinkers mounted on the chrome support bar that the sissy bar attached to. Not into the crazy flashy shit. Bike is way different than what I'm into but I'll give it a shot. Forward controls are super weird but man hydraulic clutch is nice.

16041048810102944871556722988777.jpg

Dont realy know shit about these bikes also. Seems like its put together pretty well. Never owned anything this new. I do like the fact that it has 4 spark plugs. Seems like everything that I have seen with this setup runs very well and run for ever.

Never had one that new either, I like the size of the new signals, but never been into the clear lenses, just me. I would leave it be if it runs well. It's a Honda, they built things to last. Hydraulic clutch is wonderful on motorcycles! In that pic of the dream catcher on the front fender, is that a clip or guide for the brake line on the fender, I can't see it in later pics, but if it's there, should use it, can't tell why, but Honda knows what they are doing it would not be there if they did not think it necessary. (edited)

Yeah clear lenses were not my first choice but the stems were long enough to mount up and were a good price. I have way to many sets of winkers that I purchased that were complete garbage. I like the emgo products. Pretty well made. This is all I am doing to it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account