Re: Biscuits and gravy

We lived in East Kentucky for several years. Pretty sure this is the birthplace of biscuits & gravy. My wife learned the tricks from a friend’s 87 year old grandmother. There is so much more to the technique of making good biscuits than ingredients. Gotta be crispy and brown outside, with pillowy, steamy centers that are moist without being doughy. Gravy is easy, once you have it down. Don’t brown your flour too much, or it won’t thicken your gravy. A blonde roux will thicken sauces and gravies better than a dark roux. Science. Kinda like light roast coffee has higher caffeine levels than dark roast. Bacon gravy is good too.

Since moving out of KY, we almost never have biscuits & gravy. They’re just not the same here. Don’t turn out as well for some reason. Maybe it’s the regional wheat, or hard water, or who really knows. But damn, I miss those biscuits and gravy. Damn, I miss Kentucky.

punkrock randy /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> they actually have the biscuits in a mix I forget what

> brand it was and it also had a gravy mix

You can’t cook, can you?

Be nice, I can't either, unless it's on a grill, flat or otherwise...lol, and to be honest the Bakery at my local Cub has some AMAZING Biscuits, better than in many restaurants around.

punkrock randy /

You didn’t read WillD’s regional differences post seth? Explains that science you don’t understand. And gravy is easy, but I have had some pretty poor excuses for gravy before. All flour and milk. Never eat B&G at hotel conti breakfasts. They the absolute worst.

I get the science, which is why I mentioned it. I live in wheat land. I often grind my own flour from local grain. My wife is a baker, and I have worked as chef in several restaurants. The wheat here is a hard red. The protein levels vary in different wheat flours. Red wheat also has a nuttier flavor than white, which is sweeter. Also, the water here is quite hard. The hard water & high protein wheat react differently with the leavening, minerals and salts, altering texture and flavor. It’s chemistry, and not that complicated. Sorry you can’t grasp it. No, no I’m not.

punkrock randy /

Yeah, pretty simple to grasp. Come visit and I’ll make u good b&g. Actually my lady is the biscuit expert. I’m more of a cook and less a baker. Time to whip up late breakfast

Don’t spill the Lucky Charms

punkrock randy /

Don’t forget to distrust the masks have any effectiveness whatsoever like Seth B. CAuSe hE BeLieVes iN ScieNcE

Can’t eat biscuits and gravy with a mask on. Don’t need science for that. Although I’m sure you’ve tried.

It's always the cheapest thing on any breakfast menu too, and for as vomitous as it looks it really settles my "What he fuck did I do last night" ills

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> Im late to this party and couldnt read everything but let me just say.

> The best biscuits and gravy goes too...

>

> 1) Hardee's

>

> 2) Bob Evans

>

> 3) Frisch's

bruh what? fast food microwave gravy?

haha, yea, but on the fast food topic because i'll still eat the shit out of it. Huddle house vs waffle house for the biscuits & gravy, better option is?

I'll take Bob Evan's, but the rest can fuck off.

punkrock randy /

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> > Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Im late to this party and couldnt read everything but let me just say.

>

> > The best biscuits and gravy goes too...

>

> >

>

> > 1) Hardee's

>

> >

>

> > 2) Bob Evans

>

> >

>

> > 3) Frisch's

>

> bruh what? fast food microwave gravy?

Might as well get a pack of Tennessee Pride and nuke it, ya fuckin’ tool.

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

1: move to America

2: buy premade Campbell's gravy and the biscuits in a tube

3: ?????

4: Profit

I'm still stuck on step 2 as I haven't seen the gravy but it must be next to home cooking stuff as it isn't in soup section that I found.

I love this dish so much I wanna make it for Christmas

I went to one of my favorite restaurants in Charlotte to get biscuits and gravy at like 6am. Probably the first one to oder racy for the day.

.....I got the oder and something looked off. Like way of. What was reddish brown in my gravy.

Wellllll it was bacon. The cook made the days batch of gravy with bacon not sausage. The water thought I was messing with him at fist. Then he was like damn. That is bacon. The whole pot was filled with bacon gravy. Let me tell you do NOT try this at at home it was gross 🤮

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yes I could cook I actually used to work at a Four Star Seafood Restaurant but the whole thing comes down to that Regional wheat and local fresh sausage without that it's going to taste like crap and yes Waffle House for the win

Dude sounds like you accidentally got red eye gravy or the cook was nuts.

You can make a perfectly respectable white gravy with bacon. Is it the same? No. But it isn't bad...especially if you add a little sage and chop the bacon before cooking.

The brown gravy makes me think red eye....it taste like coffee? Slightly bitter? Billy big rigs love that shit

Johnny Brapp /

1lb country sausage

2/3 cup flour

Milk

Seasonings

Brown pork, in cast iron skillet. Don’t drain.

Leave on heat, add half flour and stir it up good. It should start to stop sizzling.

Add remaining flour, keep stirring.

Add milk, continue to heat until boil. Constantly stirring.

Will thicken as you keep stirring a few minutes (3/4) minutes

Biscuits are just canned pre made. Start them first so you can have everything done together....

Literally easiest thing in the world to make. Season to taste

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account