Re: Biscuits and gravy

Yeah, and the "not too fresh" idea is great too.

If they're fresh from the oven, the warm gravy can just make it into a mush but you want some of that biscuit crunch so let 'em chill in the fridge or make 'em the night before

And a side of eggs is definitely needed.

I grew up in Alabama and still live in biscuits and gravy country. I don't eat that stuff much because I have genetically high cholesterol, but I do occasionally make it. a couple pointers:

1. there shouldn't be any baking involved. This is a skillet dish, ideally something heavy like a cast iron or stainless steel.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sausage-gravy-2145820

2. you use pork uncased pork sausage, ideally something smokey and a little spicy. typically it's black pepper, red pepper, sage, and salt. Something like italian sausage would work, but it definitely wouldn't have the southern flavor. brown it like you would ground beef for a bolognese.

3. when you add the flour it can get clumpy really easily and you'll end up with mealy chunky gravy and no one likes that. when you're ready to start making the gravy sprinkle it little by little into the sausage so that it soaks up the grease. separately add the rest of the flour little by little to the milk. I use a big mason jar and add a little flour and shake until it's all combined. then pour that mixture in with sausage and reduce.

3. don't half ass it, make good buttermilk biscuits. Biscuits, like any layered pastry is notoriously difficult to get perfect but its well worth it. This is a good easy recipe

https://www.vice.com/en/article/d35mbw/easy-biscuits-recipe (edited)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Shit on a shingle (SOS). I used to eat it all the time when I was in the Army.

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Shit on a shingle (SOS). I used to eat it all the time when I was in the

> Army.

thats ground beef and gravy on toast

Awe man. I was picturing that tasty beaver shit on a cedar shingle. It must be so nice.

punkrock randy /

That’s chipped beef to you kind sir !!!

punkrock randy /

Andy S spot on with that gravy, definitely don’t want lil flour lumps. That’s the worst

I gotta leave. this is making me too hungry. The DFAC ran out of good food and we’ve been getting fancy feast looking stuff lately. I’d rather have MRE’s

I’m gonna go drink some coffee and pretend biscuits are coming.

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> I grew up in Alabama and still live in biscuits and gravy country. I

> don't eat that stuff much because I have genetically high cholesterol,

> but I do occasionally make it. a couple pointers:

>

> 1. there shouldn't be any baking involved. This is a skillet dish,

> ideally something heavy like a cast iron or stainless steel.

>

> https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sausage-gravy-2145820

>

> 2. you use pork uncased pork sausage, ideally something smokey and a

> little spicy. typically it's black pepper, red pepper, sage, and salt.

> Something like italian sausage would work, but it definitely wouldn't

> have the southern flavor. brown it like you would ground beef for a

> bolognese.

>

> 3. when you add the flour it can get clumpy really easily and you'll end

> up with mealy chunky gravy and no one likes that. when you're ready to

> start making the gravy sprinkle it little by little into the sausage so

> that it soaks up the grease. separately add the rest of the flour little

> by little to the milk. I use a big mason jar and add a little flour and

> shake until it's all combined. then pour that mixture in with sausage

> and reduce.

>

> 3. don't half ass it, make good buttermilk biscuits. Biscuits, like any

> layered pastry is notoriously difficult to get perfect but its well

> worth it. This is a good easy recipe

>

> https://www.vice.com/en/article/d35mbw/easy-biscuits-recipe

oh man, I forgot arguably the most important part

4. SEASON LIBERALLY. Use lots of fresh ground black pepper in your gravy or it will be bland

We have a sausage that is made here that works very well for sausage gravy. We also like to add a little deer sausage to it.

I saw a very interesting and in depth review of why biscuits & gravy was better in the south, because really this entire panel agreed they were, EVEN WHEN MADE by southerners in the north, the southern ones were better. why? humidity? it came down to a soft wheat flour, lower protein and thus less gluten which made both the biscuits softer and flakier, and the "gravy" creamier.

For the breakfast sausage, the thing that usually stands out flavorwise is it's quite heavily seasoned, mostly sage. Also it's often sweeter vs other sausages. The closest I can think of from Europe is like Hungarian cevap cici, but more sage

break it up good. some folks like a chunky one, some like a thinner smaller bits, I could do any. motherfucks is it good on good biscuits and good fried chicken. why did I move to ohio...

I love shit like that, so interesting. It's kinda like how new york bagels and pizza owe it's unique flavor and texture to the H²0

Bas Autowas /

Damn you Will, now i want some cevapcici. I couldn't go to Hungary this year because of the Rona and i've been craving Hungarian food for months now.

I'm off to the supermarket to see if they have anything that might be suitable, but i highly doubt it. If you want bland tasting food, Dutch cuisine is where it's at.

Can we do a chicken fried steak thread next?

^ Hell the fuck yes.....

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah down south they actually have the biscuits in a mix I forget what brand it was and it also had a gravy mix and that's what all the chicken and waffle places run but in my experience when you're cooking the sausage add a half a teaspoon a Worcestershire and that goes for creamed chipped beef to as a side note the beaver gland extract is used for artificial raspberry flavoring and is a rodent deterrent so most grains that were stored in warehouses are exposed to it

Probably Fred /

This thread and the gloomy all morning rain today got us hungry for comfort breakfast foods, so made a brunch for us instead of lunch with onion, avocado oil and seasonings redskin gold home fries, No nitrates bacon, basted with avocado oil local brown eggs, Low calorie grain toast.

CA363613-2379-46E7-B514-A28366494D45.jpeg
18AD892F-7D26-43CC-9C04-4212DE887BD9.jpeg

Made my eggs into over-medium with Pepper jack and Colby cheese chunks

1EAA704E-9004-42AF-B455-020B56F07D09.jpeg

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> How to cook sausage and gravy coming from a world class chef ? Hahaha

> lolol..you should have tried harder in micky d's french fry

> school...hahaha Stop eating the M&M's bas they are making you

> dilusional..lolollll

Yeah, he thinks well done steak is bleedin' red...............No talent. LOL!

Bas Autowas /

Dumdum wants his steak well done, he is a terrible human.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Pops Peds Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > How to cook sausage and gravy coming from a world class chef ? Hahaha

>

> > lolol..you should have tried harder in micky d's french fry

>

> > school...hahaha Stop eating the M&M's bas they are making you

>

> > dilusional..lolollll

>

> Yeah, he thinks well done steak is bleedin' red...............No talent.

> LOL!

You just have to come into every thread with some negative bullshit don't you? I'm almost sorry you are so unhappy.

Moooooooo..ding ding ding

You too leave insults out of innocent topics, is it that hard, or are you that bored?

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> You too leave insults out of innocent topics, is it that hard, or are

> you that bored?

You know stevie boy maybe you should practice what you preach..have you looked at your actions lately?

I said innocent topics, for political ones it's on!

I make biscuits and gravy at least a couple times a month on the weekends. Here’s my really easy recipe that everyone seems to really like:

Brown 1lb ground breakfast sausage in a cast iron skillet breaking it up like you would ground beef. When the sausage is brown season with about 1 TBS ground dried sage. Slowly stir in 1/4 cup AP flour (stir in a little at a time so that it’s soaking up the grease and coating the sausage). Slowly stir in 2 1/2 cups of whole milk. Simmer, stirring constantly until it thickens.

That’s it, 4 ingredients and it takes maybe 15-20 minutes total. I buy the pre-made biscuits at the store because scratch made biscuits would be too much hassle.

^ That sounds good, and easy enough I could maybe even do it... :)

Bas of you can't get breakfast sausage. Mix this with a pound ground pork. Then let it sit for an hour before cooking.

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage(dry is fine)

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme(dry works fine here too)

2 teaspoons brown sugar(or maple syrup if you have it!)

1½ teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds

½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

¼ teaspoon garlic powder

¼ teaspoon smoked paprika

Bas Autowas /

I made some yesterday, with some cheap sausage that could easily be de-skinned. I understand why the spices are needed and next time i'll look for some decent sausages.

It was still good though, filled some puff pastry cups with it which kinda resemble the look of biscuits.

I'll definitely make this more often.

Nah, that's bullshit with that lame undercooked bacon. What you really need is some VA country ham on that plate. Plus the fried potatoes are just laughable, along with the toast and odd shaped eggs. You could use at least butter or jelly on that toast. It looks more like a depressing breakfast than anything.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Im late to this party and couldnt read everything but let me just say. The best biscuits and gravy goes too...

1) Hardee's

2) Bob Evans

3) Frisch's

Its probably all pig slop, but it does taste amazing! I thank god that there isnt a Hardee's within 25 miles of me, so at best i get to have it 3-4 times a year.

Mcdonalds has ok biscuits and gravy but its not top 10 list worthy.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account