Corned Beef Hash

Bas had us all going pretty good with biscuits and gravy. My personal favorite trashy breakfast is the hash out of the can.

I put a little butter in a pan, scoop that dog food smelling mess on it. Hit that with some complete seasoning mix, garlic powder, pepper, a ton of paprika and fry the hell out of it. Like until its all crispy and the pan has gone quiet. All the little crunchy crumbles are loose, not clumped together.

I push that to the side and fry a couple eggs in the grease. Over medium, the yolks have to stay liquid.

Plate that with the eggs centered on the hash. Bust the yolks into it. Shower that with 1/4 bottle of hot sauce (maybe only enough to cover the entire surface).

And its done. Should be on the 3rd cup of coffee by then, so that one gets cut with a lot of milk to help with the hot sauce.

Bas, I’m certain they don’t sell this garbage where you live. Home made is good, but not even close to this food abomination which I love. I can mail you a couple cans if you want to try it?

Best homemade version I ever had was at Rosy’s Diner in Escanaba, MI. That would be the recipe to get if possible.

What do the rest of you do for hash? (edited)

Re: Corned Beef Hash

You Michigan folks are lucky. Look at these heart stopping plates...

6A2775A4-2F2A-42E8-8568-102BEF1E1645.jpeg

I think they sell corned beef at the supermarket, i have made some similar dishes with Spam or Smac as it's called here.

That might get you close. Dice up some teeny tiny potato cubes. Like, 5mm.

Take that canned meat stuff, chop it up and add a little water. Hit that with an emersion blender until it is almost a paste.

Fry the two together like mentioned above. Maybe add some more oil or butter, since neither ingredient has as much as the canned stuff.

If that isn't a perfect sunday morning, bad hangover, lay around and watch football all day kinda meal i dont know what is.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

My wife loves corned beef hash, its just ok to me. I think the secret to unlocking good morning potatoes is getting a good crunchy brown searing on the potatoes.

In the rare chance I have left over baked potatoes, I cube them up and throw some butter in a skillet... cook it with spices italian sausage, onions, cheese, and eggs.

I tried to take mash potatoes and fry them in the pan like mushy potatoe pancakes. They weren't bad but need tweaking.

crispy potatoes!!!!

gotta get one of those bacon press thingys and leave it on the potatoes until theyre super crispy

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> My wife loves corned beef hash, its just ok to me. I think the secret to

> unlocking good morning potatoes is getting a good crunchy brown searing

> on the potatoes.

>

> In the rare chance I have left over baked potatoes, I cube them up and

> throw some butter in a skillet... cook it with spices italian sausage,

> onions, cheese, and eggs.

>

> I tried to take mash potatoes and fry them in the pan like mushy potatoe

> pancakes. They weren't bad but need tweaking.

I Always have left over baked potatoes in the fridge specifically for this purpose. The proper way to get good fried potatoes is always use pre cooked potatoes. Reds or Yukon golds are best. Russets are just okay. Add some onions & mild, fresh peppers like jalapeños or serranos. Hot pan, let em cook without turning them too much. Gotta let them be still & turn brown.

Mashed potato pancakes are bomb, too. But again, hot pan, oil & let them sit, only turning once after they’re good & brown.

Yea there's this greasy spoon that's one of my faves you can still snag a CB hash AND sausage biscuits and coffee and toast, for like 6 bucks

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What do the rest of you do for hash?

Same as Papa, but I start by getting some onions about 90% caramelized, then follow the rest of your steps. Also anything worth doing, is worth doing with jalapeños.

Maybe less hot sauce, but the coffee quantities are dead on. (edited)

Yeah, "dog food" about sums it up

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account