Walkman

Anyone else enjoy vintage audio?

I can say for certain listening to a well built walkman is just as fun as riding a rad maxi

PXL_20201101_032318015.jpg

Re: Walkman

I had the original og walkman, was mainly metal, played cassette tapes and am/fm....can't find a pic but it was a cherished christmas gift! Will look for pics on the net to post, would love to still have that...

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I found a “my first Walkman” kids edition Walkman cassette player at a yard sale for $1 a couple years back. I bought it and listed it on eBay. Sold quickly for around $50 and the guy even paid international postage to have it shipped to South Korea. Apparently there is a market for this stuff. I was surprised.

FYI don’t buy off brand crap like Coby.

I got this little radio

20201101_080318.jpg

dual headphone jacks were a good way to meet girls.

"i got the new depeche mode over here if ya wanna have a listen." I'd ask, sliding over on the dirty verdant vinyl in the back of a faded Bluebird.

"Go away dork" the girl with the INXS shirt and shiny Docs would reply.

Ok fine, in THEORY dual headphones get the ladies.

Are they really worth more now? I believe I still have mine in my closet somewhere.

It really depends on the model you have but some of the higher-end ones are worth quite a lot

And the prices are only getting higher

I think i threw mine away a few years back. I actually used it a lot about 12 years ago when my first mp3 player broke. After about a year the two cassettes i still had started rapidly deteriorating and i only had the FM radio to listen to, i'm glad technology has made massive leaps forward.

Love these. Made alot of cash for a while servicing the walkman professionals back before they went thermonuclear in price. Top tip, alot of japanese made players haven't went crazy yet. You can get some good stuff cheap still....

if I'm looking for good cassette portables I use my marrantz. People stare at that brick like I'm crazy.lol

Is your DD still working man? The gears in those shrink and split. I had a buddy making brass replacements.

It is indeed working, popped a new gear in there once I got it and it sounds great (edited)

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I have a 70s I have a 70s Hera Sony Walkman type Dictaphone with a high-res boom mic

Found the one I had, it was mode WM F-10 there is one on ebay for parts at $87.00! That thing was THE deal back then! :)

I got one of those a bit back and put a new belt in it

It was a real easy $140 profit

Johnny Braaapp /

Not a Walkman, but I have a pretty neat vintage Pabst beer can transistor radio. Still works!

Oh man, I was using my waterproof 'sports' cassette walkman pretty recently, I didn't know it was worth $$. It was pretty much mint when I bought it at goodwill a couple years ago, but the rubber armband disintegrated

Pushrod Fifty /

Man I would dig the PBR can radio. I have a Sanyo cassette walkman type that I brought in 1982. Its white with a silver vinyl case. Once in a while I put batteries in it and play it, still works great.

Both my cars are cassette players, I listen to a lot of old tapes, it's a fun media and a little less delicate than CD's which I've mstly all scratched. my favorite are finding my own - or better yet random other people's - mix tapes and seeing what's on there, what I forgot about or what someone chose to record. I had one that was from a boom box I bought at a yard sale, "2001 JAMS" was written on a 90min tape in there. I popped it in, some cheezy R& B classics and then Afroman - Then I got High

I was rolling laughing, not that the song is funny, but that we ever thought that it was funny, I mean it captivated so many diverse genres to laugh at dudes getting high and folks ate it up, what goobers.

Damn, this is bringing back some memories.

Pushrod Fifty /

Tapes are so much easier to play in a car than cd's. The cd cases are hard to open while driving and hard to put away after changing. Its always fun to check out a found generic tape in a pile of junk to see what someone recorded on it.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Tapes are so much easier to play in a car than cd's. The cd cases are

> hard to open while driving and hard to put away after changing. Its

> always fun to check out a found generic tape in a pile of junk to see

> what someone recorded on it.

Yeah my truck has CD and tape player. I always find old tapes at yard sales and goodwill. I think I currently have a grateful dead tape in there. My CDs are all scratched to shit but tapes keep playin.

I like that tapes keep flippin'... I remember making out in the back of a car to 'graceland' one time in the winter, leaving frosty fingerprints in the fogged up windows. flipped that sucker like 6 times. Still think about it every time I hear that song and those beige velour seats in the back of her Grandma's Cutlass.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> Tapes are so much easier to play in a car than cd's. The cd cases are

> hard to open while driving and hard to put away after changing.

Cd's are just as outdated as tapes. Just get radio with Bluetooth or an aux connection and play everything you want on Spotify.

Rick Bergsma /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Cd's are just as outdated as tapes. Just get radio with Bluetooth or an

> aux connection and play everything you want on Spotify.

I have one of those cassettes with a aux wire coming out of it that I use to connect my phone to my car stereo so I can listen to podcasts and music. My cassettes and cds are collecting dust in the basement .

The only tapes I have are all of the master recordings of an old eye care place in Columbus that I found in a dumpster. I have like 35 tapes full of every ad this place ever ran. I put them on in my '91 Jimmy when I'm driving friends around, usually takes them a minute to realize we've heard 5 ads for Buckeye Optical back to back

Don't have anymore tapes, but I still like CD's, what are people doing to/with them to get them all scratched up? I don't bluetooth or spotify...whatever that is, got a radio and CD player, that's plenty!

Spotify is probably the best thing that internet has brought us in the past decade. You can stream pretty much all music that was ever made for almost no money at all. I've got a Spotify family account that i share with a bunch of other "family members" and it costs me 2.50€ a month. You can't buy CDs for that kinda money.

You can also use it for free, you will sometimes get commercials (just like on the radio) but only hear the music you want to hear.

I can highly recommend it to anyone that likes music.

Interesting, thanks.

I Spotify a lot and listen to podcasts on long trips, but the tape adapter is just as easy as Bluetooth really.

The thing I like about tapes, cds or vinyl tho is listening to a whole album and not having the easy option to switch, like choices are great but too many choices can leave you wishing for something else or something next the whole time. There's some simple please slamming a tape in and letting it rip through its entirety

I use the best of both worlds

Spotify premium is great for turning playlists into physical mixtapes

True, but always use a BASF cassette hehe

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account