Air compressor switch

So I only have 110 in my shop and have been running a decent small compressor but have to take it easy when running air tools. I run a die grinder and air grinder mostly. Picked up this vintage 110 rig with two stage pump. Thing turns at 1750 so super quit but I have been messing with the 1950's tech and cant get the thing to run well. Blow off valve is a 125psi. Pump is rated for 175 and motor is only 3/4 hp but is sweet and quiet. Just cant get it to kick on when pressure is low. Mabye I should get rid of the vintage switch? Got any leads on a good switch? Just cant seem to get it to kick on and off when I need it. Seems to kick the blow off st for 125 but wont kick on at 95 or so psi when it drops. Mabye I should just put a modern unit on it?

20201125_214910.jpg
20201125_214927.jpg

Re: Air compressor switch

This is so quiet and nice. Sounds like a swing machine. The pump and motor is newish? 90's dayton stuff. Not china junk

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

How low does it have to go before it kicks on?

It’s not a well pump switch instead of a compressor switch?

The answer lies within... Deez nuts:

Screenshot_2020-11-26-06-33-19.png

Have you tried adjusting one or the other? One should be for kick on pressure and the other for kick off pressure. Any modern switch you buy will have both adjustments combined into one and will still require you to adjust to the application installed upon.

Oh, and the liquid filled pressure gauge needs topped off. They use glycerin which I have bought at the drug store. As dirty as it looks id just dump it and refill. (edited)

Well after many beers and lots of adjusting I got it to work pretty well. I got it to kick off right before it pops the valve but can only get it to kick back in at around 90 psi. My other one kicked on at 95. We will see how she works. I love how quit she is.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I had that same compressor only it was painted a metallic olive green.

Not enough cfm to run hungry tools for long.

Trying to crank up the pressure will probably destroy the reeds. That’s where mine failed. I’d T in more air tank for longer tool run time, but obviously at the expense of longer recovery wait time.

For years I used a refrigeration pump with a 1/3hp motor with two large boiler expansion tanks for storage (probably like 120 gallons total) at 170psi. It slowly and quietly sat in the corner effortlessly chugging away. The tanks sat up on a sheet of plywood in the rafters. I had plenty of pressure to run tools for awhile, but it took 1/2 an hour to fully recover when i ran it low. (edited)

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Oh, and the liquid filled pressure gauge needs topped off. They use

> glycerin which I have bought at the drug store. As dirty as it looks id

> just dump it and refill.

The gauge only goes to 100 psi so I'm gonna change it out. Working on running lines, regulator with water separator and hose reel today. Tempted to buy one of those small 110 air dryers from harbor freight. Under $500 I think. I miss having nice air. My old shop has atlas and keiser screws with endless air. Big money. I have a gas rig that I use if I need big air for blasting and shit.

Just replace the 15.00 switch. Don't mess with an old switch. That's like blaine taking chances on old filters, but THIS can explode on you.

If the new switch doesn't work,it almost always a bad capacitor.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Just replace the 15.00 switch. Don't mess with an old switch. That's

> like blaine taking chances on old filters, but THIS can explode on you.

>

> If the new switch doesn't work,it almost always a bad capacitor.

Ya, listen to parts changer^^^ just keep changing parts til you fix it. No dum dum, it will not blow up.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Just replace the 15.00 switch. Don't mess with an old switch. That's

> like blaine taking chances on old filters, but THIS can explode on you.

>

> If the new switch doesn't work,it almost always a bad capacitor.

It has a blow off valve so it wont blow up. If the switch fails to stop it will just blow by.

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Just replace the 15.00 switch. Don't mess with an old switch. That's

>

> > like blaine taking chances on old filters, but THIS can explode on

> you.

>

> >

>

> > If the new switch doesn't work,it almost always a bad capacitor.

>

> It has a blow off valve so it wont blow up. If the switch fails to stop

> it will just blow by.

Yes, and what parts changer fails to understand is the fact that a new switch will have to "messed with" or dialed in to the application or blow off valve on the compressor.

You can trust an old pop-off valve if you want...............OR you can listen to experience.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> You can trust an old pop-off valve if you want...............OR you can

> listen to experience.......

OR ignore an ignorant old white racist bastard and think for one's self. (edited)

Hey dumdum, at what point can you trust a blow-off valve??? Only when you change the switch?? You just showed your ignorance again.....LMFAO!

Go watch Star Trek the wrath of Khan. Your mind is two dimensional like Kahn's. An intelligent persons mind is like that of Spock and three dimensional. (edited)

Dumdum you just displayed to ALL of MA that you are an undeniable parts changer.

You do not have the intelligence to understand how anything works. You throw parts at it to keep it going or to repair it. Then you claim to know more than automotive engineers while praising no one but your small mind. When you get tired of the criticism you can quit posting about shit you have no clue about. Pretty simple really...

Ok children!! Please go ruin someone else's tread. Your constant bickering is getting way beyond old.

Yes, it is. I gave you top-notch advice. Better listen! New switch.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Yes, it is. I gave you top-notch advice. Better listen! New switch. Stfu!

My switch went out I went to Granger and they pointed me in the right direction. Too like 5mins to pop a new one on. I also had a head leak. Was only going up to 70psi. Found it with soapy water. Cut a new head gasket and have been fine ever since. Older compressors rock.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account