Re: Vintage snowmobiles

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Some brands lend themselves well to the ski spreaders, my colt is a

> little more complicated than that but I do plan on doing it eventually.

>

> Its a good way to get into it, have a rider that is rough and just fix

> it up a little as you go. I'm going to do a vintage ride on Saturday in

> below zero temps on the old girl. Gotta get everything dialed in

How is that? Pics of ski mounts?

It's got the shock mounts on the spindle side so I gotta fab a bracket for that, also wanted to come up with a clever way to build in toe/camber adjustment.

I'm probably overthinking it as usual but I haven't quite figured out how I want to do it, got plenty of other stuff to work on for now and when the idea hits me I can make them.

The colt got a little 'restoration' a few years back when my buddy drug it out of a barn and got it fixed up. He cleaned up the skis and painted them but not great, I'll get around to doing the whole front end with new bushings and everything maybe next year.

Just went out and snapped a pic of my ski doo. Now I got to dig her out and get her running haha. Pretty easy this way. Just a plate and long bolt for the shock through the top of the spindle. No need for camber haha. Wide ski skins make a big difference though.

20210209_195651.jpg

It was a slam but I got the whole chain case back together last night, new brakes are in, brake master and slave cylinder are rebuilt, and I got everything bled, feels great no leaks and no spongyness. Based on how bad the brakes were before, I'm hoping they are great and no leaks from the chain case.

IMG_20210209_232553.jpg

You got an air box for that thing. Those free airs will overheat easy especially if they are lean.

Funny you should say that, I was going to wait to post pics because the version 1 failed to kick, west system epoxy slow hardener won't go below 70 deg and I had it about 50 in the shop last night. I cobbled together a vacuum pump and some junk to make a vacuum bag operation and it was working good but I didn't want to leave it on indefinitely and I didn't realize the hardener needed to be hotter so I gave up and shut it down. I checked it this morning and it did harden but since it wasn't under vacuum it's wrinkly like my nutsack. I don't think I'll be able to save the foam plug but I kinda want to do it different anyhow.

IMG_20210210_130042.jpg

Also I was just talking to a guy at work about this, these sleds didn't come with any air filter or airbox from the factory until like 76 and the tx series, looks like most of the competition didn't either, including skidoo that had the carb pointing right at your crotch.

I'm mostly putting the airbox on to keep fuel smell and noise from going right into my face.

West system will harden as you found out. Just may take a few days to fully cure. Never used epoxy with gasoline so may want to do some test pieces so the gasoline does not eat the epoxy. I was in the marine fab buisness for many years until I became allergic to epoxy. Had to switch to the mechanic side of things now. If it didn't come with an air box then I wouldn't worry. Can toss some uni foam filters on it if you are worried.

Yeah, for the vacuum bagging thing, it don't do me any good if it takes 20 hours to set up because I'm not gonna leave my vac pump just run. I put it on the furnace and got it set up, then I ground off the worst boogers and bondo'd that sucker. This epoxy is good with gas, I think, I could shoot a coat of engine paint on the inside, well see.

I came up with the idea of using wrinkle paint to hide my lazy bondo job. Came out pretty good.. looks like the wrinkle finish sportster air cleaners, kinda the look I was going for.

IMG_20210210_234914.jpg

It will make more sense once I get the metal backing plate and attach it to the carbs.

Pod filters would have been the easy way but I'm mostly concerned with gas fumes and noise. This will reflect everything forward, hopefully.

Yeah wow, lots of late nights swinging wrenches and beautiful cold days riding. I busted dick all week and wrapped up on Friday night around midnight.

Totally paid off!

Realized the right cylinder head was loose, leaking really bad, that would have ended my weekend really quick

Ok hit post instead of attach photo

IMG_20210211_222750.jpg

Yeah so a bunch of crazy shit, the carbs were those VM miks with the jet holder in the bowl, the little o ring that is on the fake jet snouter thing was shot on both sides, that explains why it was running crazy rich at WOT... It would actually bog out after a few seconds at wot.

But the head was leaking so it was lean when the needle was in on the one cylinder which was the weird hunting idle.

So I got that shit cleaned up and fixed.

Finished the airbox, which came out dope, made a noticeable difference on the ride

IMG_20210213_000820.jpg

On Saturday woke up to -15 air temp with -35 wind-chill, perfect! We trailered even further north to go on a vintage ride.

IMG_20210213_120837.jpg

As soon as we got there my buddy with the indy proceeded to pull his starter cord right out, so we had to do a Moped rally fix in a snowy field with frozen fingers. The old dudes thought that was pretty funny but we weren't gonna loose the day over a 15 minute fix, the 3of us got the rope re threaded pit crew style and took off.

With all the pussies huddled in the bar and riding 5 miles down the trail to huddle into another bar we said fuckit and found our own fun. Still got to see some cool stuff, a guy out with a 800 triple 'king cat' and a couple of the big 640 hirth with 'montana pipes' super cool, sounds like a derestrict maxi exhaust.

IMG_20210213_133926.jpg

Too many cool sleds to mention. All riding lame and slow though, we kept blasting them on the trail.

Our sleds were running great! The 340 fuji twin in my colt was straight singing. Nice cold fluffy snow keeps the track all lubed up and smooth. At one point on a nice section of straight trail I held it WOT until I saw 60 on the speedo then instantly let go since I was barely hanging on. I don't think that's accurate but holy crap was she hauling! Totally on the potato! I passed my buddy who has gps'd at 50+ so it was definitely moving all right. Felt just a hair lean but the airbox definitely evened the jetting out I think, either was it was a lot less loud and annoying to listen to all day.

Then Sunday it was a little colder, my wife and I stayed close to home and took the pantera the next county over, it ran great too, did about 30 miles and drank some beers checking it out. Trails were kinda lame over there, just corn field and some little woodsy sections, but still nice to get out.

IMG_20210214_154539.jpg

This was cool, old school CHT gauge on a kawasaki engine sno-jet

IMG_20210213_160922.jpg

Matt's kiddo Parker rode with us all day in the cold, tough ass 5 year old.

IMG_20210213_154733.jpg

Here's that pic of the king cat, pretty cool, took 3 guys to get it started... Lots of orange goo holding the exhaust on.... Basically just a big dumb frozen moped rally

IMG_20210213_131249.jpg

Used to live vintage rides and shows. We have a vintage one lunger race here. Has to be like 72 or older unmodified single cylinder. They do have some modified classes. It's more of a race of if you can make your sled make the whole race. Like 100 laps and looks pretty rough haha

Jesse Nordlander /

that Is awesome, super envious. I feel lucky enough to be renting and allowed to run a 1/2 mile field.

Rick Bergsma /

Whoa! That king cat is bad ass! Graham I'm in love with the looks of that Polaris you have, especially with the upgraded head lights lit up.

Yeah the old colts seem to be pretty common around here but you don't see many of them that are still running. I could buy another one for 200 bucks any day of the week but it would be another 20+ hours of work and way more money than that to get it reliable enough to ride out. The story with mine goes that my buddy bought it from a guy who slapped it together with a bunch of used garbage race parts. it is totally mismatched but most of the parts are in relatively good shape and I've got another parts sled.

This is the Evinrude that is in my buddies backyard waiting for me. trying to get a few other projects out of the way before I take it on but he said that it ran a couple years ago. I kind of love how ratty it looks might even try to clear the mildew or something I don't know. It's an opposed twin which is pretty wacky it was all made by Evinrude instead of buying a Japanese motor so all of the engineering and design is super wacky compared to most of the other sleds.I just think that an opposed twin two-stroke is pretty cool and want to work on it.

IMG_20210216_122017_01.jpg

The old skeeter

Jesse Nordlander /

perfect storm enduced a quick go over of the big block chaparral.

Nice, did I mention I saw a couple cats with 'montana pipes' on the 634 hirths holy shit radddddd. Gotta find a couple of those.

Just went through these guys at work today. Nice sleds and for sale for 3k with trailer

20210218_170927.jpg
20210218_171011.jpg

I love vintage sleds and have had and have a few but my dream has been always to find an old sled like one of these and just put around. I know it would probably be sacrilege to do this but I want to toss a new honda motor with electric start and just ride for miles and miles trouble free.

Screenshot_20210220-004946_Google.jpg

This is one of my favorite sleds

^ Oh hell yes! That's the only way snowmobiling makes any sense to me! :)

Jesse Nordlander /

those old montana pipes sound mean, actual power.. not so much

Yeah, I have been thinking about it being fun to engine swap one with a raced out 4 stroke line an opposed twin briggs, but I can really only store 2-3 max until I build some kind of lean to pole barn thing and got too many projects anyhow

I have a 70 panther and would love to put a modern engine in it. I got a 440 fan from a 96 cat. I also got a few 377 rotax. I love the way the old cats ride. Ight weight and will go anywhere

So I am turning 43 on the 6 of March and my buddy has a nice camp up at the ski mountain of sugarloaf and has a bunch of sleds so I decided to fire up the citation ss . I pulled the cover off and fired some either in her and she ran off the shit gas that was in her tank. Couldn't believe it. Pulled the carb and cowl that I made 10 years ago and and cleaned it up. Shit spray paint has held up well. Gonna clean the tank and run her on my birthday a d see how she goes.

20210223_220734.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account