Re: Vintage snowmobiles

Sled originally had a dual carb 377 but now has a newer 377 with single carb and cdi so makes it bullet proof.

Gas smells terrible. Cant believe it ran. Cant do videos so will post pics

Rad! It's been 40 and sunny the last 2 days... Doesn't mean we won't get more snow this season but it sure doesn't look good for the local show this weekend.

hey i just picked up a rotary 303 cat !

no spark

idk shit about fuck for snowmobiles and i hate wiring. traded it plus some cash to my boy Mike Vargas in VA beach (angel motorsports) for a '83 GSL rx7

can be seen towards the end of the video

The 303 rotory motors never realy ran very well. Sound cool like a little off timed two stroke. Little bup bup bup sound. Never messed with one. The one lunger guys don't mess with them at all for racing. The old skidoo singles seem to be the shit for vintage racing in the single class. I think it's funny that the old skidoo chassis that do well are all steel bogie wheel machines? The cats at the same vintage were miles technically with alloy chassis and slide suspension systems? It's funny to look at a 72 skidoo TNT 440 with steel tunnel compared to a cat 440 panther. Skidoo also made the silver bullet TNT at the time. I have some cool manuals that have hp of all sleds of the time. You can get realy crazy into the mercury snow and trail twister stuff. Made big hp for the time. Also the ski doo rv line made major hp and was just not available to normal consumers. Most of the major manufacturers of snowmobiles in the 70s had all the factory race machines they had to sell to the consumers in numbers so they could compete. Like the old race cars with the big wings and shit.

Stuff like this.

Screenshot_20210227-001925_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20210227-001956_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20210227-002051_Google.jpg

All race sleds with either liquid or free air engines

Vintage sleds are pretty easy to get into if you find the easy ones. Some stuff is hard to find. The realy short track on my ss citation is a hard one a d had to pay pretty good money to have a newish used track shipped from Canada but it's just part of the hobby. Snowmobile is like a magic carpet ride. This little citation does zero to 60 pretty fast. White knuckles for sure.

securedownload-8_zpsa380e823.jpg

Jesse Nordlander /

some sweet sleds above, those old sno jets are sick. lovely ciatation, very nimble

Well finally got her out and shined up. The pics that I posted were of probably 5 plus years ago. She cleaned up pretty good. Also added some led headlights. Dont think I will need them but good to have. I think she is ready for the ride. Gonna be mostly new sleds but may be and older safari

20210228_143952.jpg
20210228_163239.jpg
20210228_160431.jpg

These wide ski skins and ski spreaders make for a nice ride

20210228_163219.jpg

Jesse Nordlander /

those shocks help as well, uncommon on older sleds

Has old school chrome shocks up front and a gas shock in the rear. Rides very well. Only has two leafs in the front right now. Is very soft but I kind of like it. I broke the small top leaf awhile ago but have found a replacement and just not installed them yet.

The chrome shocks took me awhile to find. Not real common to find used. Can get them new but pretty silly expensive

Nice, you guys are lucky to still have snow, we got into the 40s this weekend and looks like this week will be getting near 50 so probably done for the year.

I was going over the sled last week and noticed this... Bummer

IMG_20210221_122828.jpg

Guess the nearly 50 year old plastic drivers weren't quite up to the task of 100% send. Last winter when it was running like shit and barely breaking 35 they were mint.

Got a new set on order, machined out of solid nylon, pretty bada$$ 135$ of it.. I'm not complaining, it's amazing someone even makes them anymore and replacing whatever weird junk plastic with modern solid nylon is cool but I only paid $200 for the sled, haha, that's how it goes.

Since it looks like the season is winding down I'll probably take time now to swap to my nicer track, clean up the skid, rebuild the front end, and do the lower chain case bearings... And the seat maybe.

Right away Saturday I got back to working on mopeds though, haha. Not to mention all the spring farm stuff that's going to happen soon.

theyre so brilliant, fantastic design

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nice, you guys are lucky to still have snow, we got into the 40s this

> weekend and looks like this week will be getting near 50 so probably

> done for the year.

>

> I was going over the sled last week and noticed this... Bummer

>

> Guess the nearly 50 year old plastic drivers weren't quite up to the

> task of 100% send. Last winter when it was running like shit and barely

> breaking 35 they were mint.

>

> Got a new set on order, machined out of solid nylon, pretty bada$$ 135$

> of it.. I'm not complaining, it's amazing someone even makes them

> anymore and replacing whatever weird junk plastic with modern solid

> nylon is cool but I only paid $200 for the sled, haha, that's how it

> goes.

>

> Since it looks like the season is winding down I'll probably take time

> now to swap to my nicer track, clean up the skid, rebuild the front end,

> and do the lower chain case bearings... And the seat maybe.

>

> Right away Saturday I got back to working on mopeds though, haha. Not to

> mention all the spring farm stuff that's going to happen soon.

Yeah it's raining here so all the snow is pretty much gone where I am. Gonna go 2+ hours north to ride a little.

Well pulled the gang box and tail gate from my truck and tucked the vintage doo in the bed. Gonna hook up the trailer with a 97 skidoo mxz 440 and a 97 panther 550 and head 2.5 hours north tomorrow. I will make sure I get some pics of the journey. I will be the only vintage ride so should be fun.

20210304_192609.jpg

So got her up there and the trails were amazing and groomed. Still got like three feet of snow up there. Got to ride a little but my sled had a top end lean bog. Thing runs like a raped ape and seemed fine but when hammering up steep hills it would not like full throttle under load and kept idling real high so I decided to turn around and load her up. Think I'm gonna rebuild the motor with 96 safari dual carb setup. Want it to be able to hang with my buds on their newer sleds. The thing handles so nice and is pretty comfy for an old sled. I forgot my phone at the camp so didn't get any pics but all you can see is mountains. So beautiful (edited)

small aside, but anyone ever see an ape get raped?

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> small aside, but anyone ever see an ape get raped?

Most animal mating looks like, what we humans might say in a legal sense, coerced consent or outright rape.

We watched a honey badger doc one time where, after “courting” the male dragged the female, ass first, claws dragging the ground, into the burrow.

Part of me fears other possible origins of the saying. But I don’t want to start that bullshit on a perfectly awesome thread about snow machines. knowwhaddamean?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account