Selling my one owner ‘98 New Beetle (RVA Area)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’ve finally decided to part with my beloved 1998 VW New Beetle that I’ve owned since new. It’s listed on fb marketplace. The car is located in Powhatan, VA (30 minutes from Richmond). Here’s the fb listing...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/984797635345065/ (edited)

Re: Selling my one owner ‘98 New Beetle (RVA Area)

You may want to list that on an enthusiast site larry. It's pretty mint, most were beaten all to hell

yep

thats a cream-puff

mine are all beat to hell

trying to bring them back

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I agree. I’ve only had one person contact me and he was a scammer.

Thanks for the tip!

Give it some time, I had a car on cl that took a month and a half to sell, a lot of people at that price point are out of work/money tight. Also remember, that is a manual trans, hardly anyone knows how/wants to drive one anymore. I have a friend of 30 yrs that runs a car lot, and when he gets a stick shift, unless it is a Corolla, and even most of those, he does not even put it on the lot, straight to auction, because no one can drive one. There is an ass for every seat though, be patient, if you have a second cell phone maybe even put a sign in the window, (old school). GLWS.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Thanks for the input! I probably should have held out for an automatic when I bought it new in ‘98. There were just so few available when it first came out. Plus, I love driving a stick.

I’m patient. I’d just like to have the space it occupies in my garage for my peds and parts.

Nah, stick is way better in a small car, you don't want to replace a german automatic...only issue is resale, even a bigger issue today than 20 yrs ago.

punkrock randy /

Manual transmission ftw!!! I’ve always been too intimidated by the cramped engine bays on the new beetles. So tight in a bad way:-( Couple nice TDI bugs for sale near me by an enthusiast that had me lookin’😳

Pushrod Fifty /

Thats a steal of a price for such a great condition beetle, and no check engine light on- unheard of in the VW world.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

This car has never had a check engine light on in 22 years of ownership. With the exception of normal maintenance items, my NB has run flawlessly. It’s just a shame that no one drives sticks anymore. I’ll probably end up bringing her back to NJ and selling her there in the spring.

Not realy into that body style but still a good price for a well maintained car.

Pushrod Fifty /

VW enthusiasts would want a stick. My father, 85 years old, has been driving VWs since the 60s, he wouldnt drive an automatic. He keeps his VWs until the check engine light comes on and the dealer shows him an estimate to fix it, then trades it for a new one.

The stick, 90s vontage and the color are desirable to a 20 something, kind of a hipster's Porsche. CL is where they look.

Yeah the old auto rabbits were known for having issues with the starters because the put them under the exhaust manifold. They would heat up would not be able to start again until they cooled down. They made a kit that moved the solenoid that came from an old ford or something and put it on the firewall. I had allot of issues with one I had until I did that. The auto trans were so shitty. They shifted funny and took the fun out of driving a small car

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> This car has never had a check engine light on in 22 years of ownership.

> With the exception of normal maintenance items, my NB has run

> flawlessly. It’s just a shame that no one drives sticks anymore. I’ll

> probably end up bringing her back to NJ and selling her there in the

> spring.

Amazing, most people I have know with those have had nothing but expensive issues with them, this dates me but I remember you talking about your "new" New Beetle! ;) Time sure flies... that said, were I in the market for one of these, like any of your bikes, I would buy sight unseen and not bother to test drive as i know you take care of your stuff, and have all new brakes on her. It will sell.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Sold my new beetle tonight. The girl that bought it always wanted a red, stick shift beetle. I had my bug for almost 23 years. It was time to let her move on to another owner. Thanks for the encouragement!

An ass for every seat! Glad it sold, sold my crown vic a bit ago, took a while, but the kid that bought it was stoked, thought he was getting an "antique" (it was a '97) but he was born in 2001....it's nice to not only have it gone, but to know someone is happy with it.

Even better that someone searching for that same combo got what they wanted, not just someone settling for "just a car".

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account