PC build question

I feel like I already had a thread on this but can’t find it.

My first attempt to help my son build a gaming PC failed. So we are starting with a purpose made case and motherboard.

The motherboard fan connectors are 4 pin male. The case fans are 3 pin. I have adapter wires that are 5 pin on one side (only 4 wires) and 4 pin on the other, but can accept the 3 pin fan wire.

So, black, red, yellow have a path to the fan.

Why the hell can’t this stuff be standardized? Anyone here know which pins from the motherboard actually have to get to the fan?

EF5144A7-7A60-49CE-AFD1-58EDB46E2ECF.jpeg

Re: PC build question

On every motherboard I can remember there's a 4 pin connector on the motherboard that the fans plug into with a 3 pin female connector. Are you saying you have an adapter to attach multiple fans to one male connector on the mobo?

+wire, grnd wire, fan speed sense wire, or fan speed control wire, led wire maybe, look at your mother board manual or

search online at mobo manufactures site for the pinouts on them connectors, , your fan manufacturer should also have info on the fans , the connector pins are movable , you'll figure it out.

makes me wanna build,, it's been awhile

> UNIT#010 CCC Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> makes me wanna build,, it's been awhile

I just splurged and built my first new PC in 6 years last week, it was a blast. Had to wait in line for a Ryzen 5 5600X for a week at my local microcenter before I could get one

they are standardized

most case fans protocol are using "molex"

psu (power supply units) come in modular, semi modular, or standard (rats nest/cheap) and provide extensions for your fans, sometime the fans daisy chain into a single molex port. the other type of power connector is for sata power (for drives and stuff).

non molex type fans that have 4 lanes are pwm (power watt management). these need to be plugged into the board so that the system can send given amounts of power based on ambient temps or load. i have used molex adapters to these and just put them on open ends on the psu, which unfortunately removes the pwm feature and just has the fan run full blast unless hooked into an external controller.

the mobo fan terminals are dedicated for the cpu usually. it appears u have a gigabyte board, which supports pwm. i only run my case fans from psu, and opt to buy the brand: Noctua now, just my preference

if pwm is a feature you really want, there are some pretty cool fan controllers out there, or just use something simple, cheap, and effective like this one (assuming you have a spare molex power off your power supply open. the pwm connector at the end of the board i linked goes to your mobo system fan terminal (i would plug ur cpu fan directly into the cpu fan terminal on the mobo, and not mess with this adapter except for case fans)

my guess is that the board cant route all that power to all those case fans chained together like that. direct from psu you should be good (edited)

Johnny Braaapp /

Dude I built both Intel & AMD based PC's a few years back. Had no previous experience prior, had zero issues. Do your homework. It's all literally plug and play........ This is a moped forum right? (edited)

Thanks for the explanation.

I thought I had to connect the case fans to the mobo for variable fan speeds. It makes perfectly good sense to just run them hard wired.

The CPU heatsink it supposed to be so efficient that, under normal conditions, it shouldn’t even need to run its fan. I like the idea of the CPU fan being a backup to the normal heat elimination of the case.

I did do research, bought a plug and play setup, and it didn’t work. Probably because I bought used components to keep the cost low.

Still running used components, but they are all gaming pc parts now. Not a mix of Dell office machine and gaming aftermarkets that are supposed to be compatible.

I realize this is a moped forum. It is my only forum/social media (I only look a some memes on FB). And the people here communicate better than the PC forums my google searches have landed me on.

Computer forums have answers in threads that range from show-offs giving complex answers in binary; which I can’t understand. To someone writing a 3 page book about how they “thought about using this thing” or “an article in complicated pc builders magazine says...” and it never gives any actual information. Like those yoottube vids were someone talks and fingerbangs an item for 20 mins and wraps up with: “I haven’t actually run this yet, but I will post another vid when I do.” And you look to see the video was posted 5 years ago. 😒

And, my kid having a good PC is going to yeild moped results. We are also getting a 3D printer soon and parts for molding and casting will follow. I intend to teach him by employing him. Like, I will draw the basic thing I want and then let him engineer and manufacture it.

Thanks again.

Hey, it works!

Plugged everything in and turned it on. Just need an OS. A little cable management will have to happen too.

Easier when using gaming pc parts that are meant to be used together.

I can post numbers after it has a chance to run some stuff. If anyone is interested in that?

Johnny Braaapp /

Nice, what processor are you using?

> Johnny Braaapp Wrote:

> Nice, what processor are you using?

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2

It is a server CPU w/o internal graphics. Supposed to be a good choice for gaming and was like ~$70 used off ebay.

Johnny Braaapp /

Its been quite a few years but last intel based build I was using their i7 cpu with dual gtx 1080ti's.

Glad you got it running though

Linux?

I feel it is the only right choice for someone like me and my kid.

Not just because I’m cheap and the price of Windows is offensive.

I turned the boy onto the idea and he’s been researching and watching yorbtoob videos. Looking for a GUI to make this eeeasy for newbs, he hit on Ubuntu.

Any Linux users have a word to say about this?

> Papa _ Wrote:

> Linux?

>

> I feel it is the only right choice for someone like me and my kid.

>

> Not just because I’m cheap and the price of Windows is offensive.

>

> I turned the boy onto the idea and he’s been researching and watching

> yorbtoob videos. Looking for a GUI to make this eeeasy for newbs, he hit

> on Ubuntu.

>

> Any Linux users have a word to say about this?

Yeah, I use Linux for work, and the answer is to pirate windows like everyone else lol

I have maybe 5 windows 10 keys between the computers I have, but as soon as you replace a motherboard the key no longer works with that installation of windows as the key is now bound to the motherboard. 4/5 of my PC's Windows licenses are therefore not registered. It has no adverse effects on my use of any of the computers.

I feel like Linux is a great learning opportunity for my son though. He will start messing around with stuff and I like where that might take him.

Linux = Mopeds

Windows = Plastic Scooter

> Papa _ Wrote:

> I feel like Linux is a great learning opportunity for my son though. He

> will start messing around with stuff and I like where that might take

> him.

>

> Linux = Mopeds

>

> Windows = Plastic Scooter

I mean I'm a software engineer and work in Linux. All throughout college everything I did for school, I did in Linux. I've had some super smart and extremely nerdy coworkers who only use Linux and are very good in their field. Outside of work those dudes literally spend all of their hobby time on playing CTF and doing other things to improve their cybersecurity skills. I don't find that fun personally.

For gaming though, Windows is still far superior. I've been playing computer games since I was 4; I've tried probably 3 or 4 times to make the switch to Linux but haven't been converted. I would give up about 80% of my steam game library if I switched off Windows.

I was taking my kid’s word that the games he wants to play are compatible.

I will let him know that as he grows into more games, they might not be supported.

Or he can turn into one of those: “fight the system” types and refuse to play games that demand you bow and worship at the altar of Windows.

I’m such a hypocrite about this. I get my wife’s hand me down iPhones and she bought me a macbook. Linux users would see me as a tech sheeple. It just isn’t my thing, so I don’t try hard to fight it.

I would be proud to see my children refuse to accept all that.

Johnny Braaapp /

Good answer, Yes linux is good. But not user friendly.

If your boy is using steam, I'd also go the pirated windows route.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> I was taking my kid’s word that the games he wants to play are

> compatible.

>

> I will let him know that as he grows into more games, they might not be

> supported.

>

> Or he can turn into one of those: “fight the system” types and refuse to

> play games that demand you bow and worship at the altar of Windows.

>

> I’m such a hypocrite about this. I get my wife’s hand me down iPhones

> and she bought me a macbook. Linux users would see me as a tech sheeple.

> It just isn’t my thing, so I don’t try hard to fight it.

>

> I would be proud to see my children refuse to accept all that.

It is definitely not a big deal to dual-boot windows and Linux so it's no big deal if he goes with linux now and winds up realizing that the games he wants to play, he can't.

When I was younger I remember the novelty of Linux being so mystifying and cool, and thinking that the utility for a user like me was much more than it was. Playing around with it for a few days got me back to Windows.

Cool. Thanks for the advice. He is getting a little obsessed (talking my ear off between these posts) and going to have to see for himself at this point.

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> > Papa _ Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Linux?

>

> >

>

> > I feel it is the only right choice for someone like me and my kid.

>

> >

>

> > Not just because I’m cheap and the price of Windows is offensive.

>

> >

>

> > I turned the boy onto the idea and he’s been researching and watching

>

> > yorbtoob videos. Looking for a GUI to make this eeeasy for newbs, he

> hit

>

> > on Ubuntu.

>

> >

>

> > Any Linux users have a word to say about this?

>

> Yeah, I use Linux for work, and the answer is to pirate windows like

> everyone else lol

>

> I have maybe 5 windows 10 keys between the computers I have, but as soon

> as you replace a motherboard the key no longer works with that

> installation of windows as the key is now bound to the motherboard. 4/5

> of my PC's Windows licenses are therefore not registered. It has no

> adverse effects on my use of any of the computers.

The license can be unlocked from a motherboard, there’s just some hoops you need to jump through and you 100% need the key, no way around that. Windows 10 runs forever without a license though, there is no limit and you can turn off the watermark in the registry.

I did it! Windows 10 and all drivers installed for hardware stuff. It seems to run fine and is all glowy and blue.

We will clean the cables up tomorrow with some zipties.

Middle kid already desperate to get his own now. HonkyCompy 2.0 in the works.

Thanks for all the advice.

57D76595-8C65-4DDF-B013-E4E287118733.jpeg

The boy has had a little time now to download and play aome stuff. I will include a pic of the stats while it is running Scrap Mechanic.

One problem is freezing. Like dead locked when adding a process sometimes.

He was playing scrap mechanic and clicked on a video link for a download on steam (to see some build demonstration) and the system was locked hard. Had to reboot.

I am working on that problem. Any advice there would be welcome.

Do these look like good numbers?

A0A1861F-50FD-47D8-93B7-2F34A848520A.jpeg

my workstation has like 48gb of ram, dual socket.

why are you using some single socket haswell secondhand trash from like 2013?

forget software overlocking some trash video card from ten years ago

If you want your wife's son to play minecraft maybe you should just buy a prebuilt computer (edited)

Sheesh.

Why the hell do we try to build old mopeds and make them go fast?

The point here wasn’t to buy, or build, a brand new “ferrari” PC. Just try to learn using cheap used parts and get the basics. Which he and I have been having a great time doing.

I am proud of you for being so awesome.

Any helpful comments?

I think I found the problem anyways.

PCI Simple Communications Controller needed update.

mopeds? yeah right.

my "vintage" machine is socket 604 server.

if you are talking overclocking I ran a p45 at 850 fsb for like 10 years 24/7. First an e8400 at 4.2ghz and then a q9550.

I opened this thread and read that you were confused about plugging a 3 pin fan into a pwm header.

What do you need help with again?

> niklaus _ Wrote:

>

> I opened this thread and read that you were confused about plugging a 3

> pin fan into a pwm header.

>

> What do you need help with again?

Exactly! I barely know how to put the pieces together without written instructions. It is on and running games. Seems like quite the accomplishment considering...

The PCI update seemed to take care of the freezing issue.

If I copied and pasted text into a web browser, it would freeze. That’s not happening after the update. Maybe just coincidence? But it happened every time before we found the missing driver and downloaded it.

Also, my boy said he was watching youtube yesterday and the viewer would have green lines after an ad ran (before the actual video started again). That has stopped as well.

I want him to try and find the limits of it. He is 13 and wants to chat with his friends while playing among us. He could do that with baby tablet, but it is what he wants to do at the moment.

So... no active questions.

Middle kid wants a computer now too. If you have a list of cheap used hardware you’d like to recommend for the next build? I don’t want to copy this one. That wouldn’t teach anything new. He IS going to be gaming for sure.

Linux all day, Fuck Bill Gates

> Papa _ Wrote:

> Middle kid wants a computer now too. If you have a list of cheap used

> hardware you’d like to recommend for the next build? I don’t want to

> copy this one. That wouldn’t teach anything new. He IS going to be

> gaming for sure.

Your best bet by far is to buy a prebuilt workstation PC off of craigslist with at least 8 gigs of ram and an i5 processor, and then buy a used GTX970. Bam, like $300 computer that can play all modern games

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account