Copper pipe as fuel line?

Andy Murdock /

Anyone ever do this? It's probably an awful idea and feel free to berate me for it.

But it seems like it would be aethetically pleasing to have hardline fuel lines. I assume the reason not to is vibrations knocking it off and potentially being stranded.

Unless?

Re: Copper pipe as fuel line?

Overpriced Parts /

Even though this question is on off topic I’m answering it as a Moped question,

Some people use hard lines on builds but a good reason for flexible line is to be able to service and jet/rejet your carb easily,

Though I rarely have to rejet the carbs on my bikes but I have a bit extra length of fuel line so I can pull off the carbs with line still connected for easy cleaning/servicing, I like being able to see through the clear fuel lines for debris build up too,

Copper will work fine but you did mention the factor of vibration...most times if used it has rubber fuel line at connecting points to dampen vibration

I used to do this on motorized bike builds, when using vintage bicycles for an old timey look.

Easiest way is to get a brake line tubing bender for clean bends, or if you want to make the "crash loop."

Then use about an inch of regular fuel line at each end to connect it.

Theres a dude I follow on IG, Iron duck @maru1motorcycle who builds some crazy cubs and was one of the early builders on the BMX cub kick, we talked a lot: when I built my BMX flandria he was working on his 1st BMX cub builds. But he went to copper fuel lines for the aesthetics and it works well, here's one quick example:

Overpriced Parts /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Theres a dude I follow on IG, Iron duck @maru1motorcycle who builds some

> crazy cubs and was one of the early builders on the BMX cub kick, we

> talked a lot: when I built my BMX flandria he was working on his 1st BMX

> cub builds. But he went to copper fuel lines for the aesthetics and it

> works well, here's one quick example:

>

> https://64.media.tumblr.com/4f22713b1fb1511b464b4451bd4740b3/tumblr_obqhqsDjpv1up5svio1_1280.jpg

I could see for a four stroke in general But on a buzzy two-stroke engine nope, and that bike is so impractical being so bare-bones

E72CBB54-659E-49D3-89C6-D9CC0F9534A6.jpeg

That you would get your clothing dirty on a dry day all let alone if there was any moisture or you hit a puddle,

Those builders that build for art but not for practicality I don’t understand, vehicles are to get you to one place in the other,

If you’re gonna go somewhere go somewhere safely knowing the speed/how fast you’re going, knowing the temperature of your engine, the RPM of your engine it makes no sense to me, Most have No speedo, no front brake no nothing so that means it’s nothing so just put it in the dumpster,

Agreed something may look good but it’s not practical it should be wall art not street legal in any means, if I was a judge at those shows those artsy fartsy bikes would even be allowed to be on the floor,

Goin to dozens of motorcycle shows over the years there were so many bikes that were so low to the ground if you hit at a a penny on the ground and you would bottom out can totally be dangerous, that is to me that stupid, but so is almost everything nowadays so who knows

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I wanna see one of the aftermarket glass gauges that gets mounted on the side of the tank. It is mopeds but a gas gauge would be sweet if your reserve petcock position is clogged as shit. Then copper lines run straight with hangersclise to frame and neoprene to the carb and petcock they got aluminium lines too I like the silver the copper would go green. If you had a tail tank I could see running them.

But those glass gauges although totally impractical would still be cool till your tank leaks or you get in a scrape and lay her down and break one .

yea for sure that's a toy not a practical vehicle, but so are most of our mopeds. I built my dumb little BMX flandria, it had a similar top-bar tank and basically no fenders, I commuted it but with a 1/2 gallon tank getting maybe 30mpg it wasnt prectical in the least. it was obscenely loud and rigid wasnt particularly comfy (tho i had a good seat at least) but yea, it's mostly show.

so copper lines - totally doable, totally for show, but who doesnt appreciate aesthetically enhancing our bikes, from those who wanna full resto to those building custom whips, I dont see many people just arguing for only making their bikes purely practical.

Also he does som really sweet and arguably more usable builds too, that one just was the 1st example of the copper lines I found. Not my taste overall.

To be fair, the bike pictured isn't done yet. there's no chain, plug wire, cables, etc.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account