General Motors vows to be all electric by 2035....

This shit is really happening, ice is really over...not that they will still not linger, but they are officially obsolete? I can't believe it is going to happen while I'm still alive, it's like all modern tech to me, it's the "future" come to life...it's amazing, I'm ok with it, as it will mean way less maint on cars, and I'm all for it on moped class 2 wheelers, but really, just wow. I can't wait to see where this all goes, racing ought to get really intense, electric cars are fast as hell, but I just can't imagine one in MN where it gets below zero...but I'm sure that is being dealt with in r&d....crazy new world, but I guess all the phone in face young people will welcome this, but to us old schoolers, this is a radical thing to comprehend. What do you all think about this?

Re: General Motors vows to be all electric by 2035....

Sure glad I switched to Ford after the last government bailout. I’m done with GM. Shitty company. Government Motors. I’ve been a Chevy guy my whole life, too. But I have nothing for a sellout.

Been driving Fords a while now, they are ok, engines are good, climate control is meh...wipers suck hard, but if gm goes electric Ford can't be far behind, they are already talking up an electric F-150...I mean really? But that is my old mentality, electric is the future, but i just can't get my mind around it, especially for trucks? I was always a Chevy guy too, but no more Caprices's, the new 1ton Chevy trucks are fugly, the ones leading up to it beat Dodge for rusting away....whatever is the world coming to? I''ll keep my f-250, just wish it was 4wd so it does not try to kill me on the ice. :) It only has 325,000 on the clock....

Ford is luckily also switching to electric, just like every other car manufacturer in the world.

Even though it is probably going to take at least till 2035 before the production of gas guzzlers is completely gone, it will probably take at least another 10/15 years before all gas powered vehicles are finally gone.

Let's just hope it will be fast enough.

I will always want to have the option to run an IC engine on a vehicle for fun and stuff.

Like, mopeds or trail riding dirt bikes.

I am totally on board for all commuter and transport going electric. But, I hope they don’t make engines totally illegal.

It would be a hard to not look like a total asshole when an entire city is silently rolling along and I am brapping with cloud behind me.

The echo of 2T heard from miles away.

2T has already been a thing of the past for a while now, what am I talking about?

Oh, fun fact for you America dwellers, Germany has been using all electric mail delivery vehicles for as long as I can remember.

0A09D08F-6FFA-49DD-A27E-441B8A3DC5E5.png

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I'm not opposed to making electric or just more efficient cars but GM totally calculated this after a new administration that's for more radical actions against climate change for many reasons...

1) Tax incentives

2) This will pressure others to follow suit so that GM can stay completive. Most their hybrids have been flops.

3) Government bail outs when they do flop.

GM is only popular because they make some cheap cars and blue collar people like their gas stuff... And trucks of course. Even at that they needed a bail out awhile back. They've never been appealing to people that want a cleaner environment... They aren't trying to save the world but rather stay relevant or get a bail out if they fail.

GM is not a hero... This is just greedy corrupt GM doing their thing.

A big corporation that is corrupt and greedy? Unlike all other big corporations that are in it to make the world a better place?

All car manufacturers in the world are switching to electric and they need government incentive to do so, because capitalists will never do the right thing on their own.

Jimmy and Bas are both right.

And...

I don’t give a shit one way or another so long as progress isn’t stopped any longer.

I guaran-damn-tee that if Trump was still president, America (and it’s bailed out failed auto manufacturers), would be looking like the love children of the Smokers (Water World) and them freaks on Mad Max Fury Road.

Alls I want is to be driving an affordable electric to work AND have the right to burn a few gallons a year of dinosaurs in my mopeds.

punkrock randy /

It’s a sad but necessary time for lovers of IC. And as long as i can continue using them for good times vehicles, I’m cool with it. Stick with Ford Seth, I’m sure they’ll never go electric, u big dummy.

I imagine that gas cars won't be made illegal. But a hefty tax would apply. Probably like 30-50 bucks a gallon...you'll see an old ford pinto on the road and be like woah....that guy must be loaded..cha ching

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Wanting to make a profit isn't per say bad or greedy, but cheating the tax code and stealing tax dollars is wrong. Profit drives innovation. Big corporations would build energy efficient cars if there was a demand... The problem is likely more on educating the people. We need people to demand more from the manufacturer in order to gain their money . You still have a large percentage of the population whom just do not believe it the damage we are doing to the world. But take Tesla for example, those cars seem to sell well and have a following. Where there's a demand someone will rise up to meet it.

We have walmart and $300 smart phones because people either don't care or are uneducated. The problems start with the consumer.

Anywho, I'm glad they are trying I just wish it wasnt backed by out tax dollars in the form of a bail out. Obama should have let GM tank 10 years ago.

I figure my moped hobby will just plan to run on 100% homebrew ethanol.

It will always be cheap and relatively easy to make.

Can’t help it if a bit of that ethanol ends up aged with some charred oak staves and bottled for personal consumption.

My wife bought me a pot still for christmas. Much nicer than the last one I built.

Any of you try making spirits before? For drinking or otherwise?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Ill miss gas motors as well, but honestly electric will still be fun. Perhaps Im just beyond the point of wanting to modify engines and just ride more but electric might not be so bad. And realistically speaking gas engines will not be the minority in 15 years... even after the last gas car is made there will be many years of gas cars around. Honestly the value of gas cars will probably gain a lot once there are no more gas cars being produced... like cuba, people will keep these cars alive. Sort of like when they started all the emission crap on the diesel trucks... many companies were buying up the last model years pre emission trucks since they were a lot more reliable and cheap to repair.

Again, not an argument against emission controls on vehicles, but learning curves in teh automobile industry tend to cost more at first.

Pushrod Fifty /

Its all about tbe global market. The big reason that they are going e only is that in the same year China vows to be e only, and GM currently sells more vehicles in China than they do in the US.

punkrock randy /

It will absolutely be a good thing when people that don’t care about gas engines can start using something else on a larger scale. I say save the fuel for the people like me who will never want to see it gone completely. Just let me have a little bit of fuel here and there until I die. Max max bitches

Mad Max indeed, to me there is just a "something" about the roar of a V-8....or a motorcycle, but I think I'm in the minority, to most people a car is just an appliance....so electric will be fine. I'm all for electric mopeds/scooters though, it is a perfect match.

I think we might see some go to fuel cell, its pretty interchangeable. Right now it seems impossible to fully electrify cars based on available technology and its these type of moves that accelerate technology to meet future demands.

But at the same time I mean we were just talking about how stock and company worth is really dependant on speculation nd growth, and when you're essentially making a commodity, theres no major advantage to one manufacturer over another, you gotta do something to set apart and get ahead, like if you're gonna innovate, do it in the space thats 20 years from now and lead, vs trying to appeal to 20 years ago when things were good (see harley)

All interesting, fuel cell too, was not even thinking about that....I guess reading that about GM just made it seem so "real" I mean they have always been talking about electric cars....but it was never feasible, and now "poof" it's really here...see Tesla's all the time, I guess it's just future shock on my part! :)

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Alls I want is to be driving an affordable electric to work AND have the

> right to burn a few gallons a year of dinosaurs in my mopeds.

pretty reasonable tbh. I hope this is a balance that can be struck, no reason it can't be. most of the world's carbon emissions come from just a few companies, so draconian petrol bans are like the least effective way to confront climate change.

I'm stoked for the day I can afford an EV, especially an e dirt bike, but I always want to be able to ride a gas bike. (edited)

Pushrod Fifty /

Im sure there are small electric cars similar in size and price to a Corolla being sold in China and India right now, there isnt a market here for them, Americans want big trucks and SUVs, mostly because the big three pushes them down or throats with endless ads- Hey, you really need this.

punkrock randy /

Emancipation compensation

1950 Special Deluxe /
974453AB-CC48-4717-A64D-8D28693FEE12.jpeg

I’m already there.

Sweet, not seen one in yrs, don't remember the front bumper extending so far? Modification?

1950 Special Deluxe /

When they changed from Citicar to Comutacar the safety requirements changed.

The bumpers were extended and it now holds 4 batteries, 6 in the rear.

Still lead acid? I wonder what that could do with modern power controls and batteries? Regardless, very cool to see on still in use!

1950 Special Deluxe /

I just bought it last Fall.

It is still lead acid, there is a trend towards converting to lithium or using batteries from other electric cars. The leaf batteries are quite common.

Man I keep wanting a citicar but i have no room for it really.

Have you seen the Lifan Pikman>? I also consider those regularly. similar in that its a small short range low speed electric but 4wd and a bed so you can really do a lot with it. Where most of my commutes are under 10mi, my speeds all under 40, it's all stuff I moped - it'd be awesome to have a simple reliable little winter "moped" car that can also trailer bikes from home to the shop or whatever. it calls to me but again, I already have a car and a toy car (and way too many bikes) so that's gonna stay a fantasy I think...

Overpriced Parts /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>, I already have a car and a toy car (and way too many bikes) so

> that's gonna stay a fantasy I think...

Yep me too too, two toy cars and too many bikes

1950 Special Deluxe /

Currently my 2 car garage has 3 cars

My Comutacar

My 1950 Dodge 2 coupe ( my wife is the 4th generation older)

My wife’s car

And my Vespa scooter and 2 mopeds

2 more mopeds in the shed.

Ok ok, I know I have a problem, but I am ok with it.

Stephen Lopez /

Absolutely FUKIN RETARD ...!

How the fuk do you explain that this is better?

Do you know where tbose batteries end Up?

Stop being a Green hugger without using some basic common sense .

Ba

Batteries ARE BIGGER POLLUTERS of the environment! Americans live with their heads buried in the sand .

Do you know where all those batteries YOU ,Your Dad Brother sister Even go ?

Into the Ground idiot!

Multiply that TIMES 300 Million TIMES the Worlds Population..hummm!

Think idiot THINK !

AND ...THOSE are JUST common household batteries..Add All the Lithium batteries now used for Auto repair and House contruction by the millions ..

Hello TOXICITY!

GOES INTO THE WATER TABLE you drink it and this is why there are SO MANY FUKED UP KIDS with all kinds of medical abnormalities.

Multiply one ----just one car maker which produces over 300 thousand cars in one year , which eventually will be all cars

Multiplying THAT -----to OVER 700 car manufacturing companies world wide !

Do some SIMPLE MATH before you Bend Over and get fukd !

times THAT to the time ONE PERSON LIVES !

Millions and BILLIONS of battetied ARE SHIPPED TO THIRD WORLD COUNTIES where people suffer the Consequences!

Not seen in AMERICA !

KNOW WHY ? Because the USA ships Millions of TOXIC GARBAGE to other counties and HERE TOO !

Just Because its in the Ground --Out of sight ,doesn't mean GM is doing you any good by producing ELECTRIC .

LETS NOT FORGET ---GM

Fuked AMERICA in 2009 with YOUR MONEY !! They Got bailed out by US !

THEY NEVER PAID BACK THE ENTIRE AMOUNT ---it was added to the Deficit!

Guess who kissed their ass ?

You did !

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account