passing the torch

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I was listening to an internet radio and a live Jimi Hendrix track came on. The wheels started turning. Jimmy Page Eric Clapton Jeff Beck are still alive. Since there is no tournament style elimination with everything progressing add newcomers and cross genera.

Who is the best living guitarist?

Billy strings got my vote. Although Adrian legg got the weird sliding tunings and that Spanish guys fingering skills then there's the speed thing like some riffs are just difficult and doin them fast geez. Then there's writing skill composition and the factor of mainstream.

Re: passing the torch

This is bound to be a hard topic to nail down. So many opinions on what is good and such.

I imagine the most virtuous guitar player is some guy in an orchestra that can do anything a string instrument is capable of.

But I think the root of your question is who uses a guitar to take a thought and convey it through sound to other peoples brains.

And it isn’t just the guitar at that point. They have to understand the electronics involved in the instrument, sound effects, amplification, recording, etc.

They need to be showmen. The body movements involved in their playing style and their look has something in the mix.

The words of the song have to bring you to a place that is synergistic with the music.

Nowadays, I get really into the sounds that A7X puts out. All that crap I said, comes together in a way that makes my brain feel good.

It is a good mix of aesthetics and talent. So Synyster Gates gets my vote.

Johnny Braaapp /

Cool topic, will report back.

punkrock randy /

Buckethead

After seeing Michael Angelo Batio at a local guitar shop i pretty much decided that i hated "high sensitivity" guitarists that only tap the strings.

If you want me to be impressed, play like Paco De Lucia.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The Hindus have everything down for a thousand years and there are ashrams devoted to music. The master plays the sitar with everything I mean you gotta hear it to believe the vocal school is the same.

There's this guy..

And this...

Btw that was Nora Jones sister and they are Ravis kids...

I remember watching this young, black guitarist 20 to 30 years ago. He laid the guitar flat like you would a steel guitar, and he played the frets like a keyboard. He may have even been a keyboardist who switched to guitar. The kid was awesome. Can't for the life of me remember his name. He definitely made an impression on me.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Robert Cray?

Then what is considered a guitar? The sitar is cool. I was gonna post Billy covering voodoo Chile Then there's this.

punkrock randy /

Strung Out lead guitarist

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Then there are unheard ofs that just have that spark...

Alip ba ta is pretty amazing

♣Slew Foot♣ /

But it is different in the 2000s

1967 jimi rocked the boat it was a dingy compared to the global web.

punkrock randy /

Dean Ween

♣Slew Foot♣ /

♣Slew Foot♣ /

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Doh.. Facepalm

It's a scooter... damnedable nerds got into my arugala.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

When talent meets technology... And balls think about Jr hs.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Johnny Braaapp /

Here’s a few that are up there on the list

Joe Bonamassa

Carlos Santana

Gary Clark Jr.

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Keith Richards

Eric Clapton

Joe Satriani

It can go on and on

Geezer Butler was originally a guitarist. Tony Iommi refused to play with another guitarist, so when joining black sabbath Geezer picked up the bass for the first time in his life. He's another great left hander. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account