What really matters?

It's a crazy question to even have to ask, but what really matters to you? Do you believe in the internet? Do you believe in actual interaction among people? Do you believe in your bike? Your ability to tune it? Life in America has gone off the rails...it really seems nothing matters anymore, if we cant agree on what is true how can there be safety for anyone? A legit government?

What really matters to all of you here, not going to judge, just curious?

Re: What really matters?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yes Steven there is an internet and reality they both occupy the same spacetime but one is stuck in 3 dimensions and the other is boundless.

What matters to m3 is that I might have purchased in the Internet the last pair of sprag collar springs made on the planet. Moped junkyard had them listed as brake springs.

You rock Slew! :)

Nothing is real. Nothing matters. You're all just stuck in my simulation.

Here’s how wiki defines it:

“ Nihilism (/ˈnaɪ(h)ɪlɪzəm, ˈniː-/; from Latin nihil 'nothing') is a philosophy, or family of views within philosophy, expressing some form of negation towards life[1][2] or towards fundamental concepts such as knowledge, existence, and the meaning of life.[3][4] Different nihilist positions hold variously that human values are baseless, that life is meaningless, that knowledge is impossible, or that some set of entities does not exist.[5][6]

The study of nihilism may regard it as merely a label that has been applied to various separate philosophies,[7] or as a distinct historical concept arising out of nominalism, skepticism, and philosophical pessimism, as well as possibly out of Christianity itself.[8] Contemporary understanding of the idea stems largely from the Nietzschean 'crisis of nihilism', from which derives the two central concepts: the destruction of higher values and the opposition to the affirmation of life.[9][5] Earlier forms of nihilism however, may be more selective in negating specific hegemonies of social, moral, political and aesthetic thought.[10] Beyond Europe, elements of Buddhist scripture have been identified as among the earliest discourses and critiques of nihilistic thought.

The term is sometimes used in association with anomie to explain the general mood of despair at a perceived pointlessness of existence or arbitrariness of human principles and social institutions. Nihilism has also been described as conspicuous in or constitutive of certain historical periods. For example,[11] Jean Baudrillard[12][13] and others have characterized postmodernity as a nihilistic epoch[14] or mode of thought.[15] Likewise, some theologians and religious figures have stated that postmodernity[16] and many aspects of modernity[17] represent nihilism by a negation of religious principles. Nihilism has, however, been widely ascribed to both religious and irreligious viewpoints.[18]

In popular use, the term commonly refers to forms of existential nihilism, according to which life is without intrinsic value, meaning, or purpose.[19] Other prominent positions within nihilism include the rejection of all normative and ethical views (§ Moral nihilism), the rejection of all social and political institutions (§ Political nihilism), the stance that no knowledge can or does exist (§ Epistemological nihilism), and a number of metaphysical positions, which assert that non-abstract objects do not exist (§ Metaphysical nihilism), that composite objects do not exist (§ Mereological nihilism), or even that life itself does not exist.”

I think that anyone given enough time to ponder life, exisitence, and human consciousness might wrestle with this idea.

My preferred philosophy is that of stoicism.

I think the purpose of my life is to leave the world with something good when I die. I am training my children to be good humans that desire the same positive trend.

It would be my greatest desire to invent or discover something that actually makes a lasting improvement. Not for fame. But to solidly give MY life purpose.

I think it is getting harder and harder in this time because the age of discovery is over. And, we have such effective record keeping and info sharing that stuff isn’t even lost and rediscovered.

It is very hard to find a real individual contribution. Something to satisfy that human desire for purpose which comes from leaving an eternal mark on history.

Going forward, it will become more and more important to be part of collective efforts. Individuals cannot go to Mars like the Wright brothers invented powered, heavier-than-air flight. But, YOU CAN be a part of the team.

Our future human accomplishments can be enormous. If everyone adds the inertia of their life to a mass of other people heading in a good direction.

Some people have to know there is an answer to everything, that is generally why conspiracy theorists exist. The internet is real and like a drug, can be used for good and bad. I've never got hung up on the idea of the internet. I use it for what I want, when I want. Yes, I can go down a rabbit hole sometimes looking at some of the ideas people have about things, as crazy as they sound, but does it affect me in real life, in that moment, no. I live in the real world, I do what is right for my family and myself. That is all that matters to me.

My 7 year old watches some Youtube videos and I don't mind, he needs to be exposed to everything in moderation at his age. I can tell some of these Youtubers literally live in the internet and that is sad. My boy can play with nothing but water or sand or mud or just the most basic of things, because he has imagination.

Some people really need to think there is something else behind the scenes, conspiring against them and they really feel like nothing really exists and that will consumer their real life. Just live the life that is best for you and yours.

I believe in my mopeds, because they make me happy. I like them for my enjoyment and not for others opinion.

No more trump! Its a miracle from God!

♣Slew Foot♣ /

In the 80s working as a ink formalist in a large screenprinter . I changed Superman's pansy blue to IBM Microsoft disputed blue because the old four color process had that shade of blue. So I did this thinking marvel would get the rights and give me a chunk. No one noticed.

Nihilism Dionysus...

Don't drink the hemlock. Like anything if you think about it you lose the magic of an experience. Think for yourselves Damn sheeple...

punkrock randy /

punkrock randy /

Wait, no, coffee takes precedence currently. But mostly trying to always enjoy what you do and the people you choose to surround yourself with. And internal combustion engines of all types. Well maybe not the newer ones all clad in plastic. This is a difficult query...

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nothing is real. Nothing matters. You're all just stuck in my

> simulation.

If that's true I want a go in that civic, with the race engine still in it... ;) (so jealous of that car) I would title and plate it for you here if possible...you could roll MN plates, no smog... :)

> Papa _ Wrote:

> Here’s how wiki defines it:

>

> “ Nihilism (/ˈnaɪ(h)ɪlɪzəm, ˈniː-/; from Latin nihil 'nothing') is a

> philosophy, or family of views within philosophy, expressing some form

> of negation towards life[1][2] or towards fundamental concepts such as

> knowledge, existence, and the meaning of life.[3][4] Different nihilist

> positions hold variously that human values are baseless, that life is

> meaningless, that knowledge is impossible, or that some set of entities

> does not exist.[5][6]

>

> The study of nihilism may regard it as merely a label that has been

> applied to various separate philosophies,[7] or as a distinct historical

> concept arising out of nominalism, skepticism, and philosophical

> pessimism, as well as possibly out of Christianity itself.[8]

> Contemporary understanding of the idea stems largely from the

> Nietzschean 'crisis of nihilism', from which derives the two central

> concepts: the destruction of higher values and the opposition to the

> affirmation of life.[9][5] Earlier forms of nihilism however, may be

> more selective in negating specific hegemonies of social, moral,

> political and aesthetic thought.[10] Beyond Europe, elements of Buddhist

> scripture have been identified as among the earliest discourses and

> critiques of nihilistic thought.

>

> The term is sometimes used in association with anomie to explain the

> general mood of despair at a perceived pointlessness of existence or

> arbitrariness of human principles and social institutions. Nihilism has

> also been described as conspicuous in or constitutive of certain

> historical periods. For example,[11] Jean Baudrillard[12][13] and others

> have characterized postmodernity as a nihilistic epoch[14] or mode of

> thought.[15] Likewise, some theologians and religious figures have

> stated that postmodernity[16] and many aspects of modernity[17]

> represent nihilism by a negation of religious principles. Nihilism has,

> however, been widely ascribed to both religious and irreligious

> viewpoints.[18]

>

> In popular use, the term commonly refers to forms of existential

> nihilism, according to which life is without intrinsic value, meaning,

> or purpose.[19] Other prominent positions within nihilism include the

> rejection of all normative and ethical views (§ Moral nihilism), the

> rejection of all social and political institutions (§ Political

> nihilism), the stance that no knowledge can or does exist (§

> Epistemological nihilism), and a number of metaphysical positions, which

> assert that non-abstract objects do not exist (§ Metaphysical nihilism),

> that composite objects do not exist (§ Mereological nihilism), or even

> that life itself does not exist.”

>

> I think that anyone given enough time to ponder life, exisitence, and

> human consciousness might wrestle with this idea.

>

> My preferred philosophy is that of stoicism.

>

> I think the purpose of my life is to leave the world with something good

> when I die. I am training my children to be good humans that desire the

> same positive trend.

>

> It would be my greatest desire to invent or discover something that

> actually makes a lasting improvement. Not for fame. But to solidly give

> MY life purpose.

>

> I think it is getting harder and harder in this time because the age of

> discovery is over. And, we have such effective record keeping and info

> sharing that stuff isn’t even lost and rediscovered.

>

> It is very hard to find a real individual contribution. Something to

> satisfy that human desire for purpose which comes from leaving an

> eternal mark on history.

>

> Going forward, it will become more and more important to be part of

> collective efforts. Individuals cannot go to Mars like the Wright

> brothers invented powered, heavier-than-air flight. But, YOU CAN be a

> part of the team.

>

> Our future human accomplishments can be enormous. If everyone adds the

> inertia of their life to a mass of other people heading in a good

> direction.

I like this....

> Ryan Graeme Wrote:

> Some people have to know there is an answer to everything, that is

> generally why conspiracy theorists exist. The internet is real and like

> a drug, can be used for good and bad. I've never got hung up on the idea

> of the internet. I use it for what I want, when I want. Yes, I can go

> down a rabbit hole sometimes looking at some of the ideas people have

> about things, as crazy as they sound, but does it affect me in real

> life, in that moment, no. I live in the real world, I do what is right

> for my family and myself. That is all that matters to me.

>

> My 7 year old watches some Youtube videos and I don't mind, he needs to

> be exposed to everything in moderation at his age. I can tell some of

> these Youtubers literally live in the internet and that is sad. My boy

> can play with nothing but water or sand or mud or just the most basic of

> things, because he has imagination.

>

> Some people really need to think there is something else behind the

> scenes, conspiring against them and they really feel like nothing really

> exists and that will consumer their real life. Just live the life that

> is best for you and yours.

>

> I believe in my mopeds, because they make me happy. I like them for my

> enjoyment and not for others opinion.

Like this as well.

I'm glad to see that there are some centered people here, makes me worry a bit less? But who 'am I really to decide what's right, except for the idea that we should all adhere to a simple philosophy, row your own boat. We should concentrate on ourselves, not what others do/have etc. If we all made a small positive difference in our neighborhoods, life would be better for all. The internet is the only really new thing in yrs...and while a fantastic tool, it can be very alienating, and divisive and if you don't think AI is loose in it, you are crazy, but it is not there to take over humanity, for now, it is there to sell us stuff....if you are that easily swayed, and in my experience, many people are.

I'm not here to leave my mark on the world, rather to enjoy myself, to treat others well to the best of my ability, to help those I can. Things/status mean nothing to me, if anyone remembers me when I'm gone, all I can hope is that they can say I treated them well and was good to them. I have failed at this as much as I have succeeded, but I always strive to be better, one day at a time.

Keep the thoughts coming, this is far more interesting than fighting about politics. :)

If I’m going to be honest....the things that matter the most to me are the people in my life. There’s a lot of objects...like mopeds, that make me happy, and building them is good therapy. You’re kind of asking a “what’s the meaning Of life” question...and aside from 42... I’ve always seen it as. Be a good person. Don’t fuck with other peoples lives in a negative way, keep yourself happy at all costs (unless it fucks with someone else in a negative way) . As far as we know we only get this one. So do everything you can within your comfort zone to make this “one” good, weather that’s how it be or not. So be happy when you can, be good to people, understand there is a clock. That’s just how I see it. But hey...I’m just a cat.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I thought the great plant deity put us here to eat tasty cows before they destroy the plant with methane. And make plastic and radioactive waste the few things the planet can't make. Or it could be to be a symbiotic relationship with the insect overlords who leave everything status quo so that toaster strudels still taste the same. If they were made by slaves then they would worry about poisioning and qc...

Stephen, i'd say Epicureanism, but it's not necessary.

also Dokkoko.

i dislike the last item in a stoics bucket list.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Horses Glenn really I thought whistlepig or woodchuck even the Rick squirrel conspiracy...

Momma, just momma. I'm her caregiver and even tho I do a shitty job she is all that matters. None of my siblings care so I'm here. Ended up giving me an incredible sense of humility. Screw everything else. Gotta keep momma going

She's my best friend

Guys, call your momma today if you are lucky enough that she's still kicking. Ignore fuckups and all that shit, she is just another human. We all make mistakes. Just call your momma

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. In et justo ut nisi tempus viverra. Nunc sed lorem dolor. Integer sed lorem in urna semper hendrerit.

The universe is flat view and I glimpsed the array.... 3..

This question still swirls in my mind, part of my concern I feel is brought about by aging, every generation fights against progress as it makes what you grew up knowing and being confidant about obsolete, anyone who still fits in skinny jeans can't relate to 53...lol, I could not either when I was thin and young. :) But here is a challenge to the internet kids, turn off your devices, use your phone to only talk, you know, to another person, don't text/im use any social media for a month, just try it. How does real life suit you? That is where it is at, or should be? Virtual reality is dangerous and empty, there are real consequences for words and actions, unlike a life lived in/on the internet. I don't think we can put the genie back in the bottle internet wise, but I think it is the downfall of civil discourse, of real interaction between real people, American society is circling the drain, because no one cares any more...while progres is cool, we need to reach back a few decades to remember how to deal with each other.

Hey Stephen, not every area is the same. I'm British, but moved to France 5 years ago. In the UK, everything had gone internet based for admin, deliveries and so on. I was constantly on my mobile without realising. It was normal. In France, it's the opposite. A large majority don't use the internet frequently, or at all. Our town is getting fibre optic for internet sometime this year or next. We had fibre in the UK 15 years ago. People still use mobiles with buttons here. If a shop has an internet page, it will be a grainy image and just have a phone number. Admin is paper based and an absolute nightmare. My wife is French and switched on and even she bangs her head against the wall with it. If the country truely went digital, like the UK, so many paper pushers would be out of work, being behind the times suits the economy here. I can't remember the last time I text or spoke to someone on my mobile. I keep in touch with friends and family on messenger or whatsapp, but not all day long. I don't check my mobile all the time. I find it frustrating coming from the UK way that the internet is used for some stuff, to the French way or barely at all. I think the internet is advantagous when used correctly. The rest is for tin foil hatters or pedos.

I am struggling with fitting into the expectation of always being connected.

I like being independent. Isolated. Absorbed in introspection. Not always, but most of the time.

I am very put off by all the codependent “otters” that are outwardly irritated by my desire to not have them all up in my business all the time.

Most of the world feels entitled to interrupt you at any moment and treat you like an abuser if you neglect to constantly feed their unhealthy need for connection and attention.

I don’t always answer my phone, or reapond to messages. I need peace and quiet. The desire to scream: “Shut the FUCK up and leave me alone!” is a frequent fantasy.

For the generation that cannot enjoy isolation, I feel sorry. I cannot imagine only living a life based on the amount and quality of interactions with other fragile, anxious, codependent bipolars.

And the constant connection never forces anyone to learn the art of enjoying solitude. Which is a vital skill.

^ This all day.....I feel exactly like this! At least I'm not the only one!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account