Re: What really matters?

Papa _ /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Here’s how wiki defines it:

“ Nihilism (/ˈnaɪ(h)ɪlɪzəm, ˈniː-/; from Latin nihil 'nothing') is a philosophy, or family of views within philosophy, expressing some form of negation towards life[1][2] or towards fundamental concepts such as knowledge, existence, and the meaning of life.[3][4] Different nihilist positions hold variously that human values are baseless, that life is meaningless, that knowledge is impossible, or that some set of entities does not exist.[5][6]

The study of nihilism may regard it as merely a label that has been applied to various separate philosophies,[7] or as a distinct historical concept arising out of nominalism, skepticism, and philosophical pessimism, as well as possibly out of Christianity itself.[8] Contemporary understanding of the idea stems largely from the Nietzschean 'crisis of nihilism', from which derives the two central concepts: the destruction of higher values and the opposition to the affirmation of life.[9][5] Earlier forms of nihilism however, may be more selective in negating specific hegemonies of social, moral, political and aesthetic thought.[10] Beyond Europe, elements of Buddhist scripture have been identified as among the earliest discourses and critiques of nihilistic thought.

The term is sometimes used in association with anomie to explain the general mood of despair at a perceived pointlessness of existence or arbitrariness of human principles and social institutions. Nihilism has also been described as conspicuous in or constitutive of certain historical periods. For example,[11] Jean Baudrillard[12][13] and others have characterized postmodernity as a nihilistic epoch[14] or mode of thought.[15] Likewise, some theologians and religious figures have stated that postmodernity[16] and many aspects of modernity[17] represent nihilism by a negation of religious principles. Nihilism has, however, been widely ascribed to both religious and irreligious viewpoints.[18]

In popular use, the term commonly refers to forms of existential nihilism, according to which life is without intrinsic value, meaning, or purpose.[19] Other prominent positions within nihilism include the rejection of all normative and ethical views (§ Moral nihilism), the rejection of all social and political institutions (§ Political nihilism), the stance that no knowledge can or does exist (§ Epistemological nihilism), and a number of metaphysical positions, which assert that non-abstract objects do not exist (§ Metaphysical nihilism), that composite objects do not exist (§ Mereological nihilism), or even that life itself does not exist.”

I think that anyone given enough time to ponder life, exisitence, and human consciousness might wrestle with this idea.

My preferred philosophy is that of stoicism.

I think the purpose of my life is to leave the world with something good when I die. I am training my children to be good humans that desire the same positive trend.

It would be my greatest desire to invent or discover something that actually makes a lasting improvement. Not for fame. But to solidly give MY life purpose.

I think it is getting harder and harder in this time because the age of discovery is over. And, we have such effective record keeping and info sharing that stuff isn’t even lost and rediscovered.

It is very hard to find a real individual contribution. Something to satisfy that human desire for purpose which comes from leaving an eternal mark on history.

Going forward, it will become more and more important to be part of collective efforts. Individuals cannot go to Mars like the Wright brothers invented powered, heavier-than-air flight. But, YOU CAN be a part of the team.

Our future human accomplishments can be enormous. If everyone adds the inertia of their life to a mass of other people heading in a good direction.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  What really matters?Topic by: Stephen Keller Stephen Keller 02/05/21 10:32PM
  Re: What really matters?Re: ♣Slew Foot♣ ♣Slew Foot♣ 02/05/21 10:43PM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Stephen Keller Stephen Keller 02/05/21 11:12PM
  Re: What really matters?Re: ♣Slew Foot♣ ♣Slew Foot♣ 02/06/21 08:05AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: baird co baird co 02/06/21 12:14AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Stephen Keller Stephen Keller 02/06/21 10:20PM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Papa _ Papa _ 02/06/21 01:35AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Stephen Keller Stephen Keller 02/06/21 10:26PM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Ryan Graeme Ryan Graeme 02/06/21 04:19AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Stephen Keller Stephen Keller 02/06/21 10:27PM
  Re: What really matters?Re: live ɘvil live ɘvil 02/06/21 07:30AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: punkrock randy punkrock randy 02/06/21 08:29AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: punkrock randy punkrock randy 02/06/21 08:41AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Stephen Keller Stephen Keller 02/06/21 10:44PM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Henry BLKBLK Henry BLKBLK 02/09/21 01:24AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: ♣Slew Foot♣ ♣Slew Foot♣ 02/09/21 03:01AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Glenn Kuehn Glenn Kuehn 02/12/21 07:10AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: ♣Slew Foot♣ ♣Slew Foot♣ 02/12/21 08:06AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Aaron Blair Aaron Blair 02/12/21 10:13AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: ♣Slew Foot♣ ♣Slew Foot♣ 02/14/21 06:36PM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Stephen Keller Stephen Keller 02/21/21 12:18AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Ryan Graeme Ryan Graeme 02/21/21 04:25AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Stephen Keller Stephen Keller 02/21/21 12:57PM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Papa _ Papa _ 02/21/21 08:31AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Steve Ayche Steve Ayche 03/09/21 07:22AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Born to be WillD Born to be WillD 03/10/21 04:23PM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Jimmy Cincinnati Jimmy Cincinnati 03/09/21 09:07AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: punkrock randy punkrock randy 03/12/21 11:19AM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Stephen Keller Stephen Keller 03/12/21 12:05PM
  Re: What really matters?Re: Jimmy Cincinnati Jimmy Cincinnati 03/12/21 12:02PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account