Re: protect your palladium!

Papa _ /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

That’s pretty cool stuff Will.

I worked (for Brinks) in the OPM refinery. I was there for the merger with NTR and watched the place close when NTR went down for smuggling gold out of Columbia.

The place was mostly geared up for silver recycling. In processing stuff, they handled a large amount of gold and a tiny bit of PGM. I took the tour a few times and geeked out on how they did their jobs.

I also practiced floor sweep gold panning. Our vault wasn’t high traffic. But carts that were used by the refinery passed through with their stuff. They had a floor cleaner zamboni thing to run everywhere and collect dust but they fired the guy that drove it and stopped going into our vault.

When I say vault, I’m talking about a half football field size area. So, after about a year, I had and estimated 1.5 oz of gold and 4-5 oz of silver.

The mix is still sitting in a crucible, waiting for a furnace, so I can refine the gold by the inquartation method. Still don’t know what I will make with the finished product. Some kinda souvenir.

Anyhow. One last thought. We had pallets of Rhenium at one point. Like 1/3 of the world’s annual supply. It was super valuable and then the price dropped. I thought it was cool. Researching Rhenium took me to a video about modern turbofan design. Amazing stuff. Some people are way smrat.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account