Re: Back in the game!

So fucking cool.....more pics as you get into her please! At 54yo we all have some "cosmetic issues" ;)

Found this today. I'll just leave this here.

81-Offensive-Ads-From-The-Past-21.jpg.optimal.jpg

For those of you that can’t read the print...

FA3B3591-8225-4AC9-AB8D-2A1F597CC1F4.jpeg

I don’t think that type of advertising would go over very well today.

It reminded me of a story an older guy told me. He was driving in the thick german fog and ran off the road, hit a tree, was ejected through the windshield and walked away.

For anyone that has driven an old VW, that’s a hard story to picture. That car fit me like a shoe.

A VW is also the kinda car where people advocated not wearing seatbelts because sometimes “it’s better be be thrown free from the crash”. 😬

Too bad your so far away from me, I still lots of old type 1 parts around.

Hans Potgieter /

Really nice car

My first car was a 76 beetle. Exactly the same color as yours. Drove through whole of southern africa with it. Sometimes people could not believe that I got to some places with the only 2 wheel drive bug. Bugs are really good in sand but not so much in rocky areas.

Have fun and enjoy.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I don’t think that type of advertising would go over very well today.

Right click on the image I posted and tell me the name of the file.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> For those of you that can’t read the print...

ha, wow. I totally thought it was gonna be about a kid and safety but there's not much safety in those things so... sterotypes about women being shitty drivers makes sense

Hi, how are you enjoying your car? I'm just looking at one on Mpls cl, same yr, not quite as nice as yours, but rust free....but $14,900! Yikes, but they are getting rare, and Maxi's are going for over a k now....I want another air-cooled, but here's the thing, I drove one about 15 yrs ago, and was astonished at how primitive it felt compared to a modern car, and until recently I have been the "beater king", but my '94 Tercel is like leaps and bounds ahead of the beetle, but still want one, I guess my question is, are you able to enjoy it as you thought you would be able to? Are you happy to have made the purchase? I totally trust your opinion as you are prob the only person I have never met whom I would buy any mechanical thing from sight unseen, as I know you "get it". I just bought myself a Lincoln Town car, cuz, you know, I deserve it, so not buying any cars anytime soon, but an air-cooled is a dream to have once again, and curious about your thoughts on it now, vs. when we had them as kids. I so miss my '71 super convert....

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Stephen, Nothing really new to report. I only got to drive it around 15 miles before I had to return to VA. I had her completely tuned up by my mechanic before putting her back in my garage in NJ.

No question, the ride can be a little scary when big trucks pass you, I just grip the steering wheel a little tighter to keep her in her lane. I’ve owned several aircooled VWs in my lifetime, so I knew what to expect.

The best recommendation I can make is to buy one completely restored. Generally speaking, most restored cars on the market have more money into them than asking price. Now that I’m older, I’d rather someone else do the resurrection.

I’ll repost when I get her down to VA. (edited)

Larry Picarello /

Great find, enjoy it where the weather is more kind!

Hope your health issues are OK!

My classics of choice were SAAB 96 & 95 two-strokes, but those are usually rusted beyond repair or priced crazy.

I'd love a later than that Saab 93 turbo.

punkrock randy /

What year did they start doing strut front ends? Here u go Stephen, not too far from ya.

https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/d/vinton-1972-vw-superbug/7311987071.html

'71 1/2

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> What year did they start doing strut front ends? Here u go Stephen, not

> too far from ya.

>

> https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/d/vinton-1972-vw-superbug/7311987071.html

If it says super beetle then it has front struts. My beetle is a 74 standard so solid beam front end. Some of the early super beetles have a flat windshield. All the later beetles have that damn ugly curved front glass.

That one in the pic looks to be a flat window super, with standard front fenders grafted on, and totally wrong front bumper, you can tell by the slotted "grill" in the front apron, and the shape of the hood. The curved windshield started in '73 on the Super Bug. Many people have no idea there is a difference betweens a Super and a Standard, so if you are going for collector value you need to be up on this stuff, if you are just looking to have one for the sake of having one it does not matter so much.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account