What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

I've always been curious on other things you collect besides mopeds.

I collect records (mostly black metal/hardcore/doom/jazz) . Also I started collecting banana republic years ranging from mid to late 70s through early 90s (before gap took it over) whenever it was all still sold as safari and travel gear. I can post some solid pictures if anyone is interested

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

Guns, records, stereo equipment, computer stuff/home servers, motorcycles and cars if those count, vintage camera gear

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

Things from the pre-internet past, analog clocks, radios, I have a battery operated turntable/stereo system that collects itself into a briefcase sized thing, transformer style, cars for sure, the more obscure the better. Memories form a simpler time.

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

Anything that interests me. Generally vintage or antique quirky stuff. I'm always on the look out for old advertising signage, usually paint on metal or enamel. In France, from March to October, there are swap meets every weekend. Usually I'm out every Sunday and can get to 2 or 3 in a day. Some are just crap, others are goldmines. We have decorated our house with stuff bought at swap meets, cool unusual stuff. I've cut back, as the house is done and Covid has put a stop to swap meets. I used to buy stuff and take it back to the UK when I was visiting family. I could list the stuff on ebay, with the auction to finish the day before I leave France. That way I only took what had sold. I would then post the stuff when I got to the UK or I would meet the buyer to exchange. Brexit has put a stop to that at the moment.

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I briefly took an interest to guns years back but got out of that hobby thank God (too much money). I can count on 1 hand how many I own and they are fun to go target shooting with once in a blue moon. For the longest time it was just mopeds and dirt bikes but now I also collect video games however I've pumped the brakes considerably on that as of late. I'm getting to the point where I feel I have enough and as of late have been motivated to thin things down. I recently moved and with this new house and a wonderful wife I think I'm content!

I enjoy collecting / hunting thrift stores and get my fix sometimes by searching for stuff my kids want. Like my son has been into pokemon so I hunt places to find pokemon figures for him.

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Vintage electric advertising clocks. I have them hanging all over my house. Lots of Coke and Pepsi clocks.

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

I don’t collect anything.

Like I said before, I believe in living for the moments. Experiencing something, being fulfilled by that for a season, and moving on.

If unique experiences could be put on display, I’d like to think my “collection” would be impressive.

My dad is a hoarder. I am disgusted by people having posessions just for the stuff to sit around.

Everything I own comes and goes. My wife thinks it’s annoying. Like I can’t make up my mind. My mind is made up... to keep trying new things.

I do have a wardrobe of t-shirts from places I’ve been or things I’ve done. Not an intensional collection. Just convenient to not buy clothes when people give you free shirts sometimes.

I like having real copies of my favorite books. Vestiges from the past. I like trees more, so I havent bought a paper book in a while.

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

I collect mega tears and belly button lint...

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

I only collect records and bicycles these days. I've stopped collecting a lot of things that have no practical use and just take up space. Collecting things in the era of the internet just isn't that exciting.

For my record collection i still refuse to buy anything online, i could spend a day on Discogs and buy everything i ever wanted and there's absolutely no fun in that.

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I agree 100%. The whole fun in collecting is in the hunt.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I only collect records and bicycles these days. I've stopped collecting

> a lot of things that have no practical use and just take

> Collecting things in the era of the internet just isn't that exciting.

>

> For my record collection i still refuse to buy anything online, i could

> spend a day on Discogs and buy everything i ever wanted and there's

> absolutely no fun in that. (edited)

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

I haven't really bought anything unnecessary in the past year or so. I mainly collect old bicycles, antique hand tools and occasionally petroliana. I rarely go for the nice stuff, I like the stuff that would otherwise end up getting scrapped.

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

punkrock randy /

Slot cars are cool. I need to mount the track to plywood and start building a racetrack scene.

07C75556-08FB-4FC1-9272-F5D8F7FB961A.jpeg

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

I used to collect old cigarette lighters, lawn darts, skateboards, jackets, weird toys, old beer signs, vintage bicycles, and just weird crap in general.

Lost it all over and over. Used to have about 70 skateboard decks, mostly from the early to late 80's, that I picked up from shops when I was on tours, or got new. This was back when they weren't worth anything but the retail price.

My apartment (and 80 other units) burned down in 1995, destroying them all. Probably coulda retired if I still had them and sold them off. A lot of them would be worth thousands today.

Beer signs and other large collectables all had to go when I was unemployed and moved into a friend's house in early 2000.

Got to the point of realization that I don't need 20 vintage bicycles. Cut that down to 4 custom ones I liked to ride. And two are for sale.

Still got a pile of lighters. Really fancy ones. Some worth good money. They're in a box somewhere and I use bics.

I've got too many jackets for the weather in southern California. Mostly gas station type jackets. I'm a sucker for a Red Cap jacket with a cool patch.

Now I've got a bunch of moped and small motorcycle engines. Didn't think I'd become a "collector" of minarelli engines, but until I build bikes for them, they're just taking up room in the garage.

For a while, it looked like I was collecting mopeds. The more obscure, the better. Now its just the ones I want to ride, and even 3 is too many. (Plus my race motorized bicycle, my Testi Grand Prix...)

I try not to collect anything anymore. In the end, it's just stuff I don't need, and don't use.

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

Mold, spores and fungus....

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

I am pretty much a hoarder. I love all yard sale, fleamarket, dump, Craigslist, finds. If I think its cool and mabye I can make money from it I will buy or take home. I actually have been cleaning up my yard and shop. It's hard to get rid of things you love but gets to a point when the things can give you anxiety. I love gasoline and things that use it. How many cylinders on your property, haha. I will make a new thread about this.

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

I used to collect old video games and consoles. I purged the collection in pursuit of vintage dirt bikes. Was stuck on vintage dirt bikes for a few years and kinda faded out and sold the lot only keeping my IT250. Got back into video games for a while because I found an NES in the garbage with like 30 games, but realized recently I don’t even watch tv anymore, let alone play video games. So I sold them to my brother.

Outside of mopeds now, I guess it would just be pins on google maps, photographs, and memories of abandoned places I explore. Mopeds and urban exploring are my two main hobbies. They’ve always intrigued me, but I really took off with both of them this past year and I feel like I’ve found my place.

BB07EF07-6195-4D66-A613-17451D5DD510.png

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

Over 100 film cameras. At least one of every camera polaroid produced. A few large format, lots of medium format, hassleblad, plaubel etc. Still mostly 35mm tho with my leica m7 at the high end down to shitty plastic stuff from the 50's.

Over 20,000 negatives

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

hardcore and powerviolence 7"— I like to focus on overseas pressings from the early 90's. got a pretty good collection of latin, italian, and japanese hardcore. I have a small collection of vintage hardcore t shirts too, but I actually wear them regularly, so I guess that's less of a collection and more just my wardrobe.

I used to be more of a collector, but the house I bought is small and I've been in a purge since. down to 2 mopeds, 2 motos, and 1 bicycle.

I started buying more art in the last couple years and that's been fulfilling and feels more rewarding to look at then boxes of shit on my shelves

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Broken dreams, pocket lint,

And amassed tools...

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

Tweaker trash /

> Matt Mulligan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I used to collect old video games and consoles. I purged the collection

> in pursuit of vintage dirt bikes. Was stuck on vintage dirt bikes for a

> few years and kinda faded out and sold the lot only keeping my IT250.

> Got back into video games for a while because I found an NES in the

> garbage with like 30 games, but realized recently I don’t even watch tv

> anymore, let alone play video games. So I sold them to my brother.

>

> Outside of mopeds now, I guess it would just be pins on google maps,

> , photographs, and memories of abandoned places I explore. Mopeds and

> urban exploring are my two main hobbies. They’ve always intrigued me,

> but I really took off with both of them this past year and I feel like

> I’ve found my place.

The a pretty cool idea! Let me know if u ever when go adventure around Worcester!

I collect pins because the are small, don’t take much room and are full of memories & color

image.jpg

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

> The a pretty cool idea! Let me know if u ever when go adventure around

> Worcester!

>

> I collect pins because the are small, don’t take much room and are full

> of memories & color

Worcester mass? I’ve got at least one I’ll be checking out up there this spring/summer. Massachusetts is kinda iffy though. They like to lock up photographers for even being near abandoned buildings... let alone in them. They’re very protective of things they don’t take care of. 😂

The only physical pin I have is one I picked up off the floor in a bando and pinned to my bag. I think it’s a blood donation one, there were dozens of them just rusting away. I figured It’s a way to remember the place when it finally caves in and they won’t miss it. 🤷‍♂️

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

Garrett Bernhagen /

Classic Lego.

IMG_0689.jpg

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

Overpriced Parts /

I collected flashlights until all the relatives and friends said oh you collect flashlights

so for birthdays and whatever they gave me generic that you could buy at any store flashlights,

No’ I collected mining Type lights and railroad type lights and the same flashlights like from from the titanic kind of flashlights that only have one Of if I could find it.

I don’t want anything because the batteries leak and corrode everything everything of the 500 lights I have maybe only 50 that any good anymore,

I should’ve said nothing that way people wouldn’t give me anything which at the time is Japanese Taiwanese or even China in their infant years junk!

it just ends up more in the trash and I’m throwing away more than I ever collected

Eclectic vintage guitars and amplifiers other than motor stuff was my hobbies but now because eBay and Internet you can’t go to a music store or a swap meet and get anything for a good price!

I’m going to hang on to the few I have because I enjoy them even though at one time I had a dozen 60-70’s fender and Gibson guitars and a dozen 70s fender amplifiers before they sold them,

If I had them right now and posted them for sale right now I could’ve bought a brand new house!

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

Johnny Braaapp /

Vinyl

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

Tweaker trash /

> Matt Mulligan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > The a pretty cool idea! Let me know if u ever when go adventure around

>

> > Worcester!

>

> >

>

> > I collect pins because the are small, don’t take much room and are

> full

>

> > of memories & color

>

> Worcester mass? I’ve got at least one I’ll be checking out up there this

> spring/summer. Massachusetts is kinda iffy though. They like to lock up

> photographers for even being near abandoned buildings... let alone in

> them. They’re very protective of things they don’t take care of. 😂

>

> The only physical pin I have is one I picked up off the floor in a bando

> and pinned to my bag. I think it’s a blood donation one, there were

> dozens of them just rusting away. I figured It’s a way to remember the

> place when it finally caves in and they won’t miss it. 🤷‍♂️

Haha if your with me we can do anything I promise budddy!

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

A Boy Named Britchez ... /

Pre-1900 playing card singles with an interest in the Russell Morgan (bicycle) brands.

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

Shawn Manthey /

Russian nesting dolls, been collecting them for about 10 years now

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I Used to collect discontinued airline route playing cards like pan am Hawaii. Circa 56. Decks marked with no longer existing countries like Siam.

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Tukes hat's belts kitsch. Chinese Japanese porcelions.

Carved scenes in frames w white cranes. Hawian shirts.

Juggling and martial Arts weapons. Vintage firearms pre 1864. Cast iron scales. Lamps...

Re: What does everyone else collect besides mopeds?

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I collected flashlights until all the relatives and friends said oh you

> collect flashlights

>

> so for birthdays and whatever they gave me generic that you could buy

> y at any store flashlights,

>

> No’ I collected mining Type lights and railroad type lights and the same

> flashlights like from from the titanic kind of flashlights that only

> have one Of if I could find it.

>

> I don’t want anything because the batteries leak and corrode everything

> everything of the 500 lights I have maybe only 50 that any good anymore,

>

> I should’ve said nothing that way people wouldn’t give me anything which

> at the time is Japanese Taiwanese or even China in their infant years

> junk!

>

> it just ends up more in the trash and I’m throwing away more than I ever

> collected

>

> Eclectic vintage guitars and amplifiers other than motor stuff was my

> hobbies but now because eBay and Internet you can’t go to a music store

> or a swap meet and get anything for a good price!

>

> I’m going to hang on to the few I have because I enjoy them even though

> at one time I had a dozen 60-70’s fender and Gibson guitars and a dozen

> 70s fender amplifiers before they sold them,

>

> If I had them right now and posted them for sale right now I could’ve

> bought a brand new house!

I do flashlights too, but never really thought about it until reading this, just kind of obsessed with them, they are one area where modern tech has really helped out, Cobb ftw. Got to store the batts separately. Kind of dumb, but letting them corrode just ruins stuff, and my memory is such I don't think to check them all every year! :)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account