My new (old) SportBike

Went for a ride on my Aero 50 friday afternoon, came home checked craigslist and saw this staring me in the face. Called the guy and said I'd like to come see it Saturday - Ok fine he says I'm chopping wood all morning lets get together afterwards. So the story goes his sister bought a house very near my brother in west jersey and this was in the basement with a signed NJ title - Owner titled it in 2006 and put maybe 500 miles on it and then it sat idle for 15 years. Sis gives the bike to brother Dan since he rides Harley's. He drains the gas adds new fuel with Stabil , changes the plugs and hooked it up with a brand new battery and she came back to life - These things never come up for sale and this one was repainted which i liked. Originally they are white teal and pink - Went to see it looked it over and it was in very good shape. Asked for a test ride and he said sure - bike was cold and ignited instantly with no weird noises from the valve train - Took it for a 2 mile ride and it felt perfect. Clutch and brakes good headlight tail light gauges all work. It felt glued to the road even with a shot rear tire. Came back smitten and handed over 750 doll hairs- It came with the original owners manual and key. He offers to deliver it to me and a couple hours later it was at my house - these are the pics. I'm so happy . I haven't had a real sport bike for about 10 years when I sold my Ninja. This is a 1989 Honda VTR250 liquid cooled 6spd.

image00000014.jpg
image0000017.jpg
image0000025.jpg

(edited)

Re: My new (old) SportBike

Should be a fun little bike

I hope so - Need to change the oil and filter and will look at the air filter but I have to take the gas tank off for that - I had it out today for 30 miles and it was wonderful but I think the carbs may gummed up a bit - after a few tanks of good non ethanol and some seafoam I'll know for sure

What a steal! I love those....and really dig the repaint! Enjoy!

Too bad it has that hideous paint job. The original livery is so much more interesting. Great little bikes with a nice power to weight ratio. I love them, but they’re kinda hard to find parts for so don’t go logging too many miles on it!

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Too bad it has that hideous paint job. The original livery is so much

> more interesting. Great little bikes with a nice power to weight ratio.

> I love them, but they’re kinda hard to find parts for so don’t go

> logging too many miles on it!

Totally disagree re- the paint job - I do find the original color scheme appealing but the canary yellow pops. Love the white rims even though the front has the weird inboard disc set up. I'd love to find a parts bike as well - 80's Honda machines seem built to last a lifetime - everything on the bike is stout. Across the pond guys have logged nearly 50k miles on them so i'm hoping for many more trouble free smiles. It will be used for pleasure cruises not commuting so it will take many years to log that many miles. (edited)

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I’m ok with the paint, but 3 honda stickers per side is a little overkill.

Looks like i fun little ride. Congrats.

Yeah those are rad rad bikes, they rev so high it's crazy. I've had a few high mile ninja 250... Winging them out doesn't seem to bother them, the ninjas burn a lot of oil at high rpm just gotta stay on top of that.

punkrock randy /

Super jealous, what an awesome deal!! 🤘🏼

Pushrod Fifty /

That's a cool bike, I've never seen one before. I like the belly pan. There are so many cool 90s sport bikes on cl for cheap but are usually 4 cylinder.

Banana slick, Steve!

I dont think that paint looks bad, but man, the OG saved by the bell paint scheme is rad as fuuuc

I'm guessing a kind neighbor had an extra bike cover and left it on my bike while i was gone - how sweet was that - just in time for all the rain we had recently - I left it on for a couple days and then it was terribly wind but dry so I took it off - My rear blinker stalks were a bit crusty and old and both cracked further from the cover pulling on them - damn i was so deflated so until i can find replacements i cut up a plastic folgers coffee can and wrapped the stalks then taped it all. Looks like ass but will do for now.

> Steve Ayche Wrote:

> I'm guessing a kind neighbor had an extra bike cover and left it on my

> bike while i was gone - how sweet was that - just in time for all the

> rain we had recently - I left it on for a couple days and then it was

> terribly wind but dry so I took it off - My rear blinker stalks were a

> bit crusty and old and both cracked further from the cover pulling on

> them - damn i was so deflated so until i can find replacements i cut up

> a plastic folgers coffee can and wrapped the stalks then taped it all.

> Looks like ass but will do for now.

Mabye he didn't want to look at the bright yellow paint and was giving you a hint haha. Just joking. The nice thing about it having a second paint job is now you dont have to feel bad about painting it if you want. I always feel bad about painting something if it is og even if the og colors suck. (edited)

^ Very true, I really like the Yellow, Hi-vis, and I just think it looks sharp with the Honda decals, the og paint on those was really weird, white base with neon pink and green stripes, never cared for it new, it is "cool" now, for being period correct, but I think it hurt sales when new, there are not a lot of these around anymore, you got a great deal.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> ^ Very true, I really like the Yellow, Hi-vis, and I just think it looks

> sharp with the Honda decals, the og paint on those was really weird,

> white base with neon pink and green stripes, never cared for it new, it

> is "cool" now, for being period correct, but I think it hurt sales when

> new, there are not a lot of these around anymore, you got a great deal.

I'm sorry but the og colors were never cool haha. If they are considered cool now I am very uncool. Pretty sure I would feel weird riding a pink 250 crotch rocket around. If I were to have one I would have to murder it out. Have passed up many bikes because of the color and not wanting to put the effort into painting them. I think the yellow is tolerable

I would totally flat black it or wrap it in that carbon-fiber color, but I really like the atomic yellow. I really dig the enclosed front brake housing as well, but I love odd and different. :)

$750.00 for that is basically free... Tremendous score.

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> > Steve Ayche Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I'm guessing a kind neighbor had an extra bike cover and left it on my

>

> > bike while i was gone - how sweet was that - just in time for all the

>

> > rain we had recently - I left it on for a couple days and then it was

>

> > terribly wind but dry so I took it off - My rear blinker stalks were a

>

> > bit crusty and old and both cracked further from the cover pulling on

>

> > them - damn i was so deflated so until i can find replacements i cut

> up

>

> > a plastic folgers coffee can and wrapped the stalks then taped it all.

>

> > Looks like ass but will do for now.

>

> Mabye he didn't want to look at the bright yellow paint and was giving

> you a hint haha. Just joking. The nice thing about it having a second

> paint job is now you dont have to feel bad about painting it if you

> want. I always feel bad about painting something if it is og even if the

> og colors suck.

^This occurred to me yesterday - I was tucked behind the bike adding some electrical tape to the blinker stalks and a neighbor comes strolling down the alley with his dog - she hears me rustling around and she must've gotten skittish and he's saying theres nobody around until he spots me - I say yes she heard me and he says he was the one who left me the cover - I get up to thank him. I'd never talked to him before he appeared to have a chip on his shoulder - his wife owns a salon out her house a few doors down - Very nice guy with said chip on his shoulder evident when we spoke but a nice guy - He says to me you have the cover on inside out and I said i had it like that because of the dirt and grease on the inside ! He felt embarrassed and said i have a couple newer ones from old sportbikes you can have - now i felt like man you don't have to and he insists and drops a cleaner one off with the carrying bag....He wanted to make sure I cover the canary!

vtr250s are sick. bummer about the paint, but still fun.

Steve , I wasn’t dissin’ the color bud. Just meant it was cool, plus that HONDA decal!

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Too bad it has that hideous paint job. The original livery is so much

> more interesting. Great little bikes with a nice power to weight ratio.

> I love them, but they’re kinda hard to find parts for so don’t go

> logging too many miles on it!

^ Wasn't you les I know - No biggy

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account