Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I think Stephen’s point needs addressed.

>

> Humans and civilization has not been/is not so predictable.

>

> I mean, yeah it is, but here’s my point.

>

> Nature vs Nurture.

>

> In my household, we have individuals that possess a “nature” to eat one

> cookie and be satisfied, someone that sees an extra cookie and thinks it

> should be shared, and two that would gladly steal, fight, whatever to

> get it for themself.

>

> We cannot selectively breed more social humans. Theoretically we can,

> but not ethically.

>

> However, when society creates enough pressure to reinforce the “good”

> behaviors. Eventually competition will yield it’s result.

^ This is and can be the case with individuals/family units, but when it steps up to true power, like what a government or a big business has over people the pressure to reinforce "good" dries up, it is all about the bottom line, and holding on to positions of influence.

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

A study was recently done where a bunch of children were put into a very large room together. These children were all given T-shirts when they enter the room, some red and some green. After a couple of hours, the children with the red shirts began to gather together and the children with the green shirts began to gather with one another, with zero prompting. Pretty soon the room was completely divided into two groups, one with red shirts and one with green shirts. After a while, the children with red shirts began finding faults with the children with green shirts, and vice versa. It is human nature to align with those you have the most in common with.

If you think you’ve got it bad here, think about the genocide going on in Turkey against the Armenians. Or go spend a few weeks in Somalia, or South Africa. You narrow minded fools with your tunnel vision.

More food for thought:

If you have a roof over your head, you have more than 93% of the worlds population has. If you have $10 in your pocket, you are wealthier than 98% of the worlds population. Yeah, we’ve got some issues, but maybe the US isn’t so bad after all. (edited)

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

^ not incloned to agree with you on much, but I can there, we are quite fortunate here, it's hard to believe it's better than 90%, but I know it's up there.

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If you think you’ve got it bad here, think about the genocide going on

> in Turkey against the Armenians.

The Armenian Genocide happened 115 years ago.

(edited)

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

punkrock randy /

🎶“I’m a straight, white male in America, I’ve got all the luck I need.”🎶

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

Aah, yes, the mass killings occurred during WWI. But somehow you think the prejudice has vanished? You think the tensions aren’t still there? You think the Turks aren’t still killing off Christian Armenians? You think there isn’t a systemic problem in Turkey, but there is in the US? You’re naive, and a fool.

Quit pretending you know what’s happening in the big world outside your grammas basement, Bas.

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

There currently is no genocide happening in Armenia, unlike you stated. I am well aware of the intricacies of the Armenian genocide as we have a large Turkish and Armenian communities in the Netherlands. The blatant way in which Turkish people deny it ever happening is quite frankly pretty scary.

Oh and both my grammas are dead, so it would be kinda weird if i lived in one of their basements.

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > live ɘvil Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Born to be WillD Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > >3) you make it out again like you're somehow the victim of others

>

> >

>

> > >looking for an argument. maybe people argue with you because you're

>

> >

>

> > >always inciting argument

>

> >

>

> > He openly admitted that he loves to argue in some of his earliest

> posts

>

> > here. Go back and look if you dont believe me.

>

> Hahahaaaa. And you don't lilolll????????

Just agreeing with Will. No argument here.

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If you have a roof over your head, you have more than 93% of the worlds

> population has. If you have $10 in your pocket, you are wealthier than

> 98% of the worlds population. Yeah, we’ve got some issues, but maybe the

> US isn’t so bad after all.

Seth's view: If you're one of the 10% who is comfortable, be grateful and don't rock the boat

Progressive view: If >90% of the world is suffering uncecessarily, change it

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

also apparently seth's view: Racism is natural, so accept it?

Like what if the green shirts started abusing the reds, and you could stop it, but didn't - because it's always been like that or something?

I guess my issue with your points, which seem to be "hey, it could be worse", is that you use that to erase the point that "it could (should) be better"

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

What if someone feels that the red shirts and the green shirts willingly separating, is “abuse”? (edited)

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

hmm. good question. what if.

very curious your thoughts, what would happen?

what do you think would happen, and how does it relate to the broader discussion of racism in america?

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

Hey Will, I didn’t put my views into my post. You did. Or at least what you assume my views are. What an ass.

I actually use my extra resources to help the 90%, not the 10.

My view of the shirts, is that a superior attitude exists naturally in all of us, and it is up to us individually to keep that in check, or segregation occurs. Look inside yourself, and realize you ain’t all that. We all got work to do. Quit pointing fingers, when the real problem exists in every one of us.

My view: “Im blessed to be doing well. I’m gonna do what I can to help those less fortunate.”

Progressive view: “We’re gonna take what we decide you don’t need from what you’ve earned, and give it to those we decide need it more than you, because they are unwilling to earn it themselves.”

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

Dirty30 Dillon /

"Quit pointing fingers"

..........

"THE PROGRESSIVES ARE GONNA TAKE MY MONEY AND GIVE IT TO SOMEBODY ELSE"

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

Thanks seth. It makes a lot more sense when you explain it versus how it came off initially in the context of the discussion.

Introspection and self improvement is definitely key. I think we can also look outside ourselves and desire better from others also.

I am greatful for all I have, what I truly want is for others to have access to the same opportunity and comforts I do. Further, I am aware that racism is one of the hurdles that is preventing that. I see your point of self-accountability, and agree that is also a hurdle for many, but i want to detach the two. That people of equal motivation reap equal benefits, regardless of class, race and religion. And I am aware that while it's improved immensely there is still far to go, and I agree that individual actualization is important but I don't believe it is sufficient to address the systemic problems

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hey Will, I didn’t put my views into my post. You did. Or at least what

> you assume my views are. What an ass.

>

Seth..i honestly have decided he has no clue that most of his posts are made exactlty as you said.....he adds in what he decides you said rather than what you really said.. (edited)

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

I definitely am guilty of considering the context of a statement and the history of a persons views and trying to understand the motivations behind their posts.

But picture the optics: a discussion on race inequality, you make a statement with example of kids and shirts that "It is human nature to align with those you have the most in common with."

that was your response, without explanation further. in a discussion about racism, you made the point "it is human nature to align with those you have the most in common with" and said no more. consider the optics and how that response was recieved, versus how you expected

Not to mention, that wasn't actually the conclusion of the study (assuming you must be talking about the Bigler studies) which concluded that 1) children notice differences, 2) those differences are easily translated to prejudices through stereotyping, and 3) perhaps most importantly that if ignored kids will create their own justifications for why differences exist to explain biases they see.

In the context of race in america, what that means is we need to have those discussions, not ignore race, and actively dismantle the biases, otherwise kids see the difference, see that black kids are treated differently in schools, or are expected to do better in sports, or are more frequently in trouble, whatever, and they make up their own explanations to why that is justified. It's not justified, and we need to address it to dismantle it.

Re: How many people think the USA is messed up place?

1

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account