I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

This bike had been sitting in a yard a block away from my house for the last 30 years or so judging by the plates (last registered 1992). It had a tree growing through the front wheel. Well the house was sold and the new owners didn't like the yard art so they cut down the tree and threw it out. My girlfriend, roommate and I loaded it in my truck last night (only took us an hour) and I decided I need a new front wheel ASAP. I'm gonna restore it over the next few years. Never had a Norton but I did have a Royal Enfield in high school that I miss. I always liked Nortons more anyway. (edited)

norton 850.jpg

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

Score!

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Those are fetching good money these days! I cant wait to see what you do with it, i hope she makes a nice rat beater. Just promise to remove the windjammer.

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Those are fetching good money these days! I cant wait to see what you do

> with it, i hope she makes a nice rat beater. Just promise to remove the

> windjammer.

Oh yeah that's going on Craigslist for $5 as soon as I get a chance to take it off.

I already broke the locks on the storage compartments to find them full of mouse shit. Was hoping to get super lucky and find the keys to the bike in them

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

Definitely a score, looks surprisingly good given how long it's been living outside.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just promise to remove the

> windjammer.

I realise it's got to go, it is pretty fugly, but weirdly I kinda like it.

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

Helluva score right there. My old boss had one a couple of years ago. Bought it as an investment, they went up in price and the stupid cunt lost money on it!

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

Overpriced Parts /

I love a 850 Norton commando!

I restored three of them!

The last one I restored when 85 to 90 mph like nothing! made me enough money to buy a really cool Plymouth satellite Sebring plus!

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I love a 850 Norton commando!

>

> I restored three of them!

>

> The last one I restored when 85 to 90 mph like nothing! made me enough

> money to buy a really cool Plymouth satellite Sebring plus!

You don't happen to have any front wheels laying around by chance do you lol

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

Jimmy Cincinnati /

You might be better off buying just the rim and relacing the wheel

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

Very nice score.

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

Overpriced Parts /

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Overpriced Parts Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I love a 850 Norton commando!

>

> >

>

> > I restored three of them!

>

> >

>

> > The last one I restored when 85 to 90 mph like nothing! made me enough

>

> > money to buy a really cool Plymouth satellite Sebring plus!

>

> You don't happen to have any front wheels laying around by chance do you

> lol

No just sold my last amal carb parts so I got no stock anymore

My who had a cycle shop died years ago so I gave up motorcycles, I may be able to contact the person who got what was left of our Triumph, BSA, Norton stock, I’ll let you know.

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

Pushrod Fifty /

Awesome find. My favorite Brit bike.

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

Someone will pay way more than $5 for that windjammer.

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Someone will pay way more than $5 for that windjammer.

The windshield is missing and it's filled with an absurd amount of mouse shit (edited)

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > live ɘvil Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Someone will pay way more than $5 for that windjammer.

>

> The windshield is missing and it's filled with an absurd amount of mouse

> shit

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

^ True, a pressure washer could make short work of that, it's a classic accessory, back when it was "the" thing, though I never thought I would see one on a commando...

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

Looking closer at that pic, is the rear brake on the left?

If the controls were all swapped on a bike, I would probably die.

Not saying to change a thing. Just, damn that would be weird.

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Looking closer at that pic, is the rear brake on the left?

>

> If the controls were all swapped on a bike, I would probably die.

>

> Not saying to change a thing. Just, damn that would be weird.

Ive ridden an older Ducati twin that was made the same way. It takes getting used to.

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Looking closer at that pic, is the rear brake on the left?

>

> If the controls were all swapped on a bike, I would probably die.

>

> Not saying to change a thing. Just, damn that would be weird.

Yep it's right foot shift left foot brake. I'm somewhat used to it since I had a Royal Enfield in high school and I've had some hand shift mopeds with left foot brakes. Those are worse because there's nothing on the right and I always wind up trying to shift with the rear brake instead of my hand

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

thats awesome but i dont envy it, i'd probably try to sell, no title and a ton of work without cheap parts, it's just alotta chores. still it'll be fun if theres no pressure to make space or anything

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> thats awesome but i dont envy it, i'd probably try to sell, no title and

> a ton of work without cheap parts, it's just alotta chores. still it'll

> be fun if theres no pressure to make space or anything

Yeah I just couldn't stand to see the bike scrapped or something. I got a front rim for $50 before shipping off of the Norton forums, I think a lot of the bike is salvageable. It's definitely going to sit in the same spot for a while as I acquire parts but I just bought a house on almost half an acre with a shed so there's plenty of room to store shit

Re: I found a Norton Commando 850 in the trash

Mike Scouty McScoutington /
Triumph.jpg

I recently got my hands on this 69 Triumph for free dollars. My grandfather's good friend bought it new and then after about 10 years got very sick and was no longer able to ride. My dad and uncle had the bike running sometime around 81 or 82 but it has been sitting since. The wiring is shot and it needs new rubber and cables all around but should be a fun project.

Right foot shift is for sure going to take some getting used to.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account