No anti-vaccine posts

Hey everyone. As you know, this forum is moderated and while "off topic" is a broad category not all topics are welcome. Sometimes in the past the political conversations have gotten too overwhelming and we've had to remove some of those threads. Lately the category that concerns me is misinformation about the COVID-19 vaccines.

The COVID vaccine is how we all get back to normal. The CDC has declared that it's safe and effective. Unless we can all get vaccinated it's very unlikely that we'll have another big moped rally season!

Here's the information page on COVID-19 at the Center for Disease Control. That's where you should be going to find information on this topic, not random blogs, and certainly not a moped forum.

I'm going to remove any threads related to vaccine misinformation, so please let's all just move on to other "off topic topics" like scooters, or video games, or the definition of a sandwich.

sandwich chart.jpg

Re: No anti-vaccine posts

What source did you get this chart ^ from?

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What source did you get this chart ^ from?

I honestly don't remember. I saved it to my hard drive years ago. The metadata in the file says I downloaded it from Slack, so it must have been posted by a co-worker. (edited)

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> What source did you get this chart ^ from?

Google "Sandwich Alignment" and it should come up. That chart has led to literally hours of debate in my workplace.

Yeah, there is not much normal about most of the people that post in this off topic forum. I don't understand how a lot more is not deleted, well really I think I know why, but I am not getting into that. Off topic is about as mature as Romper Room!

Some people like to swim in the clean, sterile water of a pool.

Some people prefer mud in their toes and lake critters nibbling at them.

OT is like the filthy, contaminated fun that lets you run if you want and enjoy watersports intoxicated.

That said, I’m getting vaccinated.

So you “cancelled” the debate.

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

I'm pretty sure this isnt a vaccine post.

but sandwiches lack the same fervor, people can't pretend theyre the victim of some government coverup cuz they dont want to admit that a poptart is a sandwich.

Personally I'd go back to the history of sandwiches, many of these like burritos vastly predate the earl of sandwiche's contribution to gastronomy, and thus can only retroacively fit the sandwich definition

Foundatons of restaurant management and culinary arts- a primary resource in intro hospitalities courses- would call it anywhere that a bread serves as a finger-food wrap of other ingredients. It serves the base purpose, with similar properties and a grain based bread (or mimics therof I think equally acceptable): I think a barstool is equally as much a seat as a traditional chair, though i would still call it a stool, equally as a poptart is a sandwich even though i'd be silly to call it so.

Likewise it could be argued that while some vegetables are fruits, all fruits are vegetables. It's a subset. And for most intents and purposes the coloqial social definition of a andwich, like vegetable, is NOT all inclusive, thus it doesnt fit in most social contexts. Yet still, in it's most rigid base definition, it fits.

That's not to say I'd call it one, in our daily lives we'd call a strawberry a berry not a vegetable and a poptart a pastry rather than a sandwich, and even tho it's not common understanding to include nontraditional 2 bread slice foodstuffs,

> Mike Scouty McScoutington Wrote:

> > live ɘvil Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > What source did you get this chart ^ from?

>

> Google "Sandwich Alignment" and it should come up. That chart has led

> to literally hours of debate in my workplace.

I can see that. But when one looks at the menu at any restaurant, only two or three on the chart would be listed as a "sandwich". I can understand after considering a sandwich opting for something else on the chart. (edited)

> Dan Dan Wrote:

> Yeah, there is not much normal about most of the people that post in

> this off topic forum. I don't understand how a lot more is not deleted,

> well really I think I know why, but I am not getting into that. Off

> topic is about as mature as Romper Room!

Life cant be all serious all the time. Its not healthy.

> - rwc - Wrote:

> So you “cancelled” the debate.

There is no debating misinformation. Read again:

> Simon King Wrote:

> Hey everyone. As you know, this forum is moderated and while "off topic"

> is a broad category not all topics are welcome. Sometimes in the past

> the political conversations have gotten too overwhelming and we've had

> to remove some of those threads. Lately the category that concerns me is

> misinformation about the COVID-19 vaccines.

>

> The COVID vaccine is how we all get back to normal. The CDC has declared

> that it's safe and effective. Unless we can all get vaccinated it's very

> unlikely that we'll have another big moped rally season!

>

> Here's the information page on COVID-19 at the Center for Disease

> Control. That's where you should be going to find information on this

> topic, not random blogs, and certainly not a moped forum.

>

> I'm going to remove any threads related to vaccine misinformation, so

> please let's all just move on to other "off topic topics" like scooters,

> or video games, or the definition of a sandwich.

^ Agreed.

Lol, slight disappointment. That was by most replied thread in 15 years. But your sentiment is correct.

I started it with the best intentions, just to show how the vaccine affected me. After that, it quickly went downhill.

I did get alotta support too, thanks for that guy's.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> I'm pretty sure this isnt a vaccine post.

>

> but sandwiches lack the same fervor, people can't pretend theyre the

> victim of some government coverup cuz they dont want to admit that a

> poptart is a sandwich.

>

A poptart is a ravioli.

A sandwich is open on 3-4 sides, depending on how it's sliced, and it can be lifted or hinged open to add or subtract ingredients.

A poptart is sealed at all four sides, like a ravioli. Nothing else can go in, nothing can come out.

A pop tart is NOT in the jelly donut genus. Unlike the jelly donut, a poptart doesn't have a filler hole.

Pop tart, hot pocket, ravioli, calzone...

Sandwich is not just food though.

Any two like items with a different item in between is called a sandwich.

It could be a ridgid piece of foam with fiberglass/resin compostite sandwich

It could be two dudes and a woman; love sandwich (see Nerf Herder for details)

But, I agree with the structure purist. If the outside is not separated, creating stratifications, and if the outermost layers are not the same; it is something other than sandwich.

> baird co Wrote:

> > Born to be WillD Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I'm pretty sure this isnt a vaccine post.

>

> >

>

> > but sandwiches lack the same fervor, people can't pretend theyre the

>

> > victim of some government coverup cuz they dont want to admit that a

>

> > poptart is a sandwich.

>

> >

>

> A poptart is a ravioli.

>

> A sandwich is open on 3-4 sides, depending on how it's sliced, and it

> can be lifted or hinged open to add or subtract ingredients.

>

> A poptart is sealed at all four sides, like a ravioli. Nothing else can

> go in, nothing can come out.

>

> A pop tart is NOT in the jelly donut genus. Unlike the jelly donut, a

> poptart doesn't have a filler hole.

>

> Pop tart, hot pocket, ravioli, calzone...

Ravioli I can't get on board with, pasta is unleavened and boiled, but calzone? absolutely. a pop tart is a calzone. I think that really fits nicely.

Also in terms of what I personally would call a sandwich, socially, i'm ingedient purist. I'd call a hoagie a sandwich for sure, and a wrap, maybe not but I would put it 100% in the sandwich section if I was making a menu. If you're hungy for a sandwich, a wrap hits that, but you're not hungry for a hot dog, and certainly not a choco-taco.

So I think after a little interospection, beyond my acceptance that all could be defined as a sandwich, my personal defnition - that which I'm willing to refer to as a sandwich - is set by the mood and fulfillment. If I was hungry for a "sandwich", which 'wich would fulfil that desire. and it comes does to wanting a meat and chease and "bread" - ingredient purist.

With that in mind tho, a plain grilled cheese isnt really in my sandwich category, I dont know if I'd really consider it a sandwich, it's it's own thing. closer to like a patty melt than to a ham and cheeser. But PB&J is totally a sandwich. sure makes you thing.

A rose by any other name...

In the Netherlands 2 pieces of bread with one topping (cheese, meat or chocolate usually) is the most common type of sandwich. Which in my mind is the most purist approach, none of that fancy lettuce and tomato garbage. (edited)

i just went and made an egg sammy. this thread, got to me.

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

Isn't cheesecake more a pie than cake?

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

A lot of people like buttered bread to go with their spaghetti. I hate trying to keep spaghetti on a fork, so i fold a wad of spaghetti in my butter bread. Spaghetti sandwich? Hell yes.

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> A lot of people like buttered bread to go with their spaghetti. I hate

> trying to keep spaghetti on a fork, so i fold a wad of spaghetti in my

> butter bread. Spaghetti sandwich? Hell yes.

What? No meat balls?

My german experiences have involved a lot of open face sandwich eating.

By that standard, anything on a piece of bread counts.

And what about these freaky keto attempts at bread surrogates? lettuce buns. baked cheese...

Goes back to stratified food layers. That’s where I logically draw my line.

Honestly the more I try to rigidly define it, the more I come up with exceptions

and what I'm coming to is how much this parallels.... MOPEDS!

Specifically, it's a shared social understanding of a definition within a group, it's the shared understanding which dominates the definition.

Like does an MB5 belong on moped army? yeah. it's not a sandwich by rigid definitions, but its totally got all the right elements to be of interest to this group. Likewise that survivalbike Motoped thing, or even a SSR Laser5, they DO fit most of the rigid definitions and totally are outside the scope of MA.

And there are certainly those who disagree, and many who will violently defend their version of a rigid definition, but in hte end it's not rigid, there are guidelines for sure, which cover the vast majority of examples - but there are always fringe individual examples are either knwn or understood by the community, not always by rigid rules, but by community understanding and shared experience, to be, as we would call it, a sandwich.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> and what I'm coming to is how much this parallels.... MOPEDS!

Sounds to me like you've ready to make the moped version of that alignment chart!

In the UK, you can have something called a chip butty. It's usually 2 slices of white bread or a bap/roll, buttered, warm chips (fries) and ketchup in between the slices. Heaven.

I mean this as kindly as possible but holy shit what a great example of why English food is garbage.

Do the fries on a chip butty have vinegar on them?

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> I mean this as kindly as possible but holy shit what a great example of

> why English food is garbage.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that sounded disgusting! :)

Hey, the french do the exact same thing but put chips in a baguette, but the french call it l’américain sandwich.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed by simon.