Bernie Madoff

That asshat is dead, good riddance.

Re: Bernie Madoff

Overpriced Parts /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That asshat is dead, good riddance.

Yep Correct! but happy he took down some Hollywood elites and other greedy aholes!

Jimmy Cincinnati /

It's bad policy to celebrate death.

^ Agreed, even his.

punkrock randy /

Fuck capitalism. It creates the worst human beings.

The reason I think we celebrate death, or at least welcome certain shitheads dying is it prevents them from causing further harm. I'd much rather them become decent folks, and maybe madoff did, I have no idea what he's done for years except be in jail, but some I'd argue for sure we actually do benefit from the death of

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I'm not denying the benefit to society but it's unfortunate as to why. Often times it's the wounded in life that do harm to others. I can't attest why he did what he did but I'm sorry we lost another person that possibly did not make amends for what he did or what happened to him. It's easy to be vengeful and very hard to forgive.

You should still show credible regret and fully pay your dues before you are forgiven. I'm not like Jesus forgiving everyone willy nilly.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> It's bad policy to celebrate death.

You need to open your mind a little. Perhaps one of the world's most famous celebrations of the dead is the Mexican “Día de Los Muertos.” This is a massive event that lasts three days, beginning on October 31. According to Mexican traditions, families have the responsibility to keep the memory of loved ones present for as long as possible.

Yea but celebrating death, or celebrating life and death is pretty different from celebrating when someone dies. That takes a pretty special kind of someone that people are glad they're gone. Like scrooge if he hadn't been visited, or the kochs, or Limbaugh, just to be glad to cork the river of vitriol. I get the point, kinda how scrooge was able to recognize the err, and correct it, and alter the future where acquaintances were celebrating his demise. But keeping with story analogies- sometimes you gotta all sing "ding dong the witch is dead"

Jimmy Cincinnati /

You should still show credible regret and fully pay your dues before you are forgiven.

You can do whatever you want to do, but its amazing what happens when someone forgives someone before they "make it right." It can be a very transforming experience receiving unearned grace from someone. Just image a world where instead of people getting vengeance they actually try to figure out where it all went wrong and correct the issue.

But i agree with you guys... he regressed our world. Its a better place with people like him gone but I still choose not to celebrate his passing.

According to Mexican traditions, families have the responsibility to keep the memory of loved ones present for as long as possible.

That seems more like a celebration of the life they had and an honoring of them when their gone. Not really a "he's gone, lets party!"

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> Just imagine a world where instead of people getting vengeance they actually

> try to figure out where it all went wrong and correct the issue.

I think of this often in light of our penal system. There's a plentitude of research and evidence that punsihment to disuade crime is way less than the prison sentences. In that someone is no more or less likely to commit a theft if the punsihment is 6 months vs 6 years. and the time for correction even less. We'd absolutely benefit from helping people in prison become better functioning people rather than just punshing them, treating them as subhuman. it's wild the amount of hateful vengeance people are willing to not just accept but even actively promote against "criminals" - even without regard to the crime.

It's super crazy watching peoples responses to hundreds of inmates dying in sub-sanitary conditions of Covid, look at St Louis, many are not even tried yet - just holding and recieving this really vengeful punishment, which given the current situation is beyond excessive

Or look at minneapolis where the loss of now 2 men's lives are being willingly dismissed as acceptable because they were ivolved in some sort of "crime" - the drugs in his system narrative, or fleeing from cops, you get shot, like a mess with the bull get teh horn kind of mentality without consideration for what that efectively means and the very extreme to which our justice system has strayed from tru impartial justice

TOTAL ASIDE there but it does speak loudly to the concepts of forgiveness, reconciliation, vs vengeance and death

You should be happy that the taxpayers are no longer paying for his room, board, health and general welfare bills. Before incarceration he was only ripping off fellow greedy persons who somehow figured he had the secret sauce to make more $ than was logically possible...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account