Anyone know how to get a good seal on Aluminum car wheels?

2011 Lincoln Town Car Executive "L" rims leak a bit, mostly the left front, loses about 3lbs a day, rears hold well, most have a bit of curb rash, stupid po...lol, but nothing drastic, not in the habit of buying cars with Aluminum rims, for this reason, they do look good, but this thing has the infernal TPS system, (special place in hell for the inventor of this nuisance) right next to the d-bag that came up with auto correct....anyway, have read that using a wheel with a scotch-brite pad on the edges then wiping them with a rag soaked in atf makes for a good seal? I have no idea, would a shop do this? I don't have the equipment to de-mount/re-mount car tires, so wondering if any of the mechanics here have any tips? I love the car, but it should not have this issue, given the caliber of car it is, hell my lowly Tercel loses about 1lb per 13 inch wheel only in 50 degree temp swings...wtf? :) (Steel rims) There is an excellent tire shop near me, but want to know what I'm asking about before I go and part with any $. Thanks in advance. Since i have your attention any recommendations for new tires? Mine have about 35-40% on them, Uniroyal Tiger Paws. said to be great in dry, ok in rain or snow, don't plan to use car in winter, but would like in a yr or so buy a set of premium tires, Michelin or Goodyear's or? Would like a great all season tire, I like how the Uniroyal's handle, but heard they suck in the snow, I don't plan to drive this car in the snow, in but may as well have an all season capable tire, I did drive in a slush storm a bit ago and these tires did just fine, no sliding, hydroplaning etc, half tempted to buy a new set? All opinions considered and appreciated.

Re: Anyone know how to get a good seal on Aluminum car wheels?

I forgot the name of it but we have the black rim sealer that we put on with a small brush after cleaning the sealing surface with the buffer wheel. Any reputable tire shop should have it to avoid comebacks.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Yep. We use a right angle grinder with a heavy duty wire cup brush to clean the corrosion from the bead surface of the rim. Usually that’s all that’s needed. The black brush-on bead sealer gets used mostly on heavily pitted steel wheels, but occasionally it’s needed on a severely skanked aluminum wheel too.

You should be thankful of the TPMS sensors. Get used to it. Anything 2008 and newer will have them as standard equipment. They prevent you from ruining a tire that is low on air, not to mention the unsafe handling characteristics of low tires.

punkrock randy /

I hate TPMS bs. But it is hard to tell when low profile tires have lost air. I used to hit alum wheel beads with pneumatics and wire cup grinder too, amazing how corroded they get. And most tire shop workers probably aren’t going to do it unless they’re told that there’s an issue. I would rarely use bead seal stuff, like Blaine said, typically only if they were very pitted out.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Why all the TPMS hate?

Not cleaning the bead of a rim that needs it is just asking to do it later when they come back complaining, and I wouldn’t blame them. Inspecting the rim is part of the job of a tire installer. If they’re not checking it, they have no common sense.

punkrock randy /

Because they’re expensive and fail frequently. Again, it makes more sense on low profile shit that can go low unnoticed more easily, but it’s still just another piece of electronics that will inevitably fail. Like the bs sensor on my work van that won’t stfu. The tyre absolutely has more than 0 psi, but the sensor won’t believe me. I still haven’t and likely won’t ever own a car w TPMS. Just because new shit sucks my balls imo though. I’ll keep my old yota’s, thx.

Tpm is shit....I will do all I can to avoid buying another car that "new" but I check the pressure myself weekly, and know most people don't, like checking the oil, to me just part of owning a car. Tpm was made a rule for mileage and fuel waste...and because people are lazy, I HATE it, as does everyone I know with a car new enough to have it. The temp extremes here really mess with it. Thanks for the advice, will go to the high dollar tire shop and have the rims re-sealed. Still giggling that the bargain basement Toyota does not have this issue while a "luxury" car does.... :)

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Because they’re expensive and fail frequently. Again, it makes more

> sense on low profile shit that can go low unnoticed more easily, but

> it’s still just another piece of electronics that will inevitably fail.

> Like the bs sensor on my work van that won’t stfu. The tyre absolutely

> has more than 0 psi, but the sensor won’t believe me. I still haven’t

> and likely won’t ever own a car w TPMS. Just because new shit sucks my

> balls imo though. I’ll keep my old yota’s, thx.

You will never go wrong with a 80's or '90's Toyota, some of the best, most reliable cars ever made. There are other good makes of course, but Toyota is hard to beat, especially the older ones.

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

crack?

.no

silicone

Rims are not cracked, if so would replace at the obscene expense they cost new, our winters are hard on Aluminium rims, much salt and god knows what else they put down to melt the ice...and stupid people hitting curbs, damaging the wheels. Steel rims, ftw. I haven't curbed a rim since I quit drinking...in looking at the rims on this car I want to start again! Lol!

Any recommendations for a high quality tire for this car?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account