Honda Trail 90 front rim on an 83 Passport

I picked up a Passport for a good price several weeks ago and started going over it. It needs tires, tubes, rim strips, headlight and tail light bulbs, battery, starter solenoid, neutral switch, fork lock, ignition switch, front fender, front springs, and there's a hole in the head near the exhaust, the front rim is bent.

I had picked up some Trail 90 rims last fall for yet another project for a good price and the rims look to be the same, so I thought I would try to swap them. The Speedo gear under the brake plate would need tweaking, but when I went to install the wheel, I discovered that the axle bolt on the new rim was larger.

IF the press-in bearings on both rims could be swapped I could save tracking down a front rim on eBay or a pair of rims from an Asian country.

Any idea how to tell if the rims are identical and the bearings can be swapped? And, of course, I could just buy C70 bearings and try it...

Re: Honda Trail 90 front rim on an 83 Passport

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I picked up a Passport for a good price several weeks ago and started

> going over it. It needs tires, tubes, rim strips, headlight and tail

> light bulbs, battery, starter solenoid, neutral switch, fork lock,

> ignition switch, front fender, front springs, and there's a hole in the

> head near the exhaust, the front rim is bent.

>

> I had picked up some Trail 90 rims last fall for yet another project for

> a good price and the rims look to be the same, so I thought I would try

> to swap them. The Speedo gear under the brake plate would need

> tweaking, but when I went to install the wheel, I discovered that the

> axle bolt on the new rim was larger.

>

> IF the press-in bearings on both rims could be swapped I could save

> tracking down a front rim on eBay or a pair of rims from an Asian

> country.

>

> Any idea how to tell if the rims are identical and the bearings can be

> swapped? And, of course, I could just buy C70 bearings and try it...

I have C70 wheels on my trail 90... wanna trade?

It certainly can't hurt. I actually have 1 front wheel and 2 rear wheels plus 2 pipes that I can't use. None of the wheels have brake plates. We could meet near Mansfield if you are from Columbus.

the only things that'll get you are:

-axle size: you noticed this, you can swap bearings in a wheel usually and use a larger axle, but you obviously gotta match axle size to whatever forks you've got

-width: obviously can't be too wide or narrow, but alot of this you can adapt with adding or removing washers and spacers

-brake plate stop: this is usually the killer, if there's a tab to hold the brake plate on the forks, it's gotta match the brake hub. i think yours might have a bolted on brakestay though correct? In that case, it's easy.

For rears obviously chain sprocket size and spacing come into play but fronts are easy.

and duh match the diameter, but really it should be quite doable. people make all sorts of wheels work:

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It certainly can't hurt. I actually have 1 front wheel and 2 rear

> wheels plus 2 pipes that I can't use. None of the wheels have brake

> plates. We could meet near Mansfield if you are from Columbus.

I just realized you said the axle is a different size which is weird, these cub wheels have the same axle size and bolted right onto my CT90; I'll have to measure the axles

I think the trails with the telescopic forks are maybe different, but you're right it looks like they should all be 12mm diam axles.

Simple solution, grind the fork drop outs bigger if there's enough meat on them, or grind the axles flat on each side to fit the drops, like some bicycles have.

Like this

Axle-FRONT-135mmwithFLATS-CRMO-YELLOWZINC-WATERMARK__95789.1485121061~2.jpg

^that's what I did to fit my electric hub wheel

Pushrod Fifty /

Just buy a new rim from dratv or ebay and lace it in. A few years back I brought a new front wheel on ebay for my Cub. It was only 150.00 and it worked out perfect and the quality was excellent. It looked identical to my C70 front wheel.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account