Mind your beeswax

I was packing up some more of my garage stuff today. Ran across a few old chunks of wax from years ago. All old, filthy, oxidized looking.

Melted it all back down and cast clean, fresh smelling ingots of beeswax.

Bees are AMAZING!

Ever read a book about beekeeping?

I did once. An old guy was going to let me take over his hives. But, all the hives died before I had a chance. Still want to do it some day.

EC3C0887-259B-44D0-98ED-242CA45E2FF7.jpeg

Re: Mind your beeswax

Bee's give me the absolute heebie jeebies, I know they are important and endangered, but I could never ever intentionally have them around! No, not allergic, just a really irrational, but very powerful fear.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I have hosted a hive in my Batavus covered by a woolcoat they made the hive in the lining of the coat a squirrel lives in the pocket.

Best alarm system EVR...

They will recognise usual folk like me they will swarm on occasion but no hostile actions no stings. I am allergic but don't fear them.

There’s some hornets and wasps that act a little aggressive.

I have never been stung per se, but have stepped on a honey bee, lawn mower launched a yellow jacket into my armpit, and rode a motorcycle into something stingy.

I just put out calm vibes and the bees sniff around, then move on.

Honey bees are a wonder and treasure. I have eaten more honey in my life than in a million bee lives. So, if they sting me, I guess I probably deserved that.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> There’s some hornets and wasps that act a little aggressive.

>

> I have never been stung per se, but have stepped on a honey bee, lawn

> mower launched a yellow jacket into my armpit, and rode a motorcycle

> into something stingy.

>

> I just put out calm vibes and the bees sniff around, then move on.

>

> Honey bees are a wonder and treasure. I have eaten more honey in my life

> than in a million bee lives. So, if they sting me, I guess I probably

> deserved that.

They do not like dark colors such as black, brown and blue. I guess they associate those colors with bears and we all know bears love honey too. I accidentally stumbled across an in ground nest while working on a shed. Guess what? I got stung because I had on a black shirt. As soon as I took off the shirt they left me alone the rest of the day.

You do know that they have found honey thousands of years old that was still good in the Egyptian pyramids right?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yep the color thing. I almost always wear black they recognize you aren't a bear and your cool. I think that that hive virus made the reflectors of my bike how they find their hive. It was pretty huge about 400 bees.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

>

> You do know that they have found honey thousands of years old that was

> still good in the Egyptian pyramids right?

Yeah I know. ITS AMAZING

Like, how many foods could outlast a tire pile?

^^Twinkies.

I met a girl who had bees

she was a keeper

holy shit that's awesome. you think they knew? or just luck

Not only did they know - they knew because scout bees had watched a youtube video on opening sugar laden drink containers, came back to the hive and danced out the instructions for their friends.

It’s prolly fake. It’s like the swallow/coconut. I don’t know if even two bees can lift a bottle cap. Regardless of where they grip it.

I watched it again, change my mind to: they were lucky. The cap was barely on and the bees were just rooting around for sugar when they got it tipped. (edited)

> Papa _ Wrote:

> Not only did they know - they knew because scout bees had watched a

> youtube video on opening sugar laden drink containers, came back to the

> hive and danced out the instructions for their friends.

>

> It’s prolly fake. It’s like the swallow/coconut. I don’t know if even

> two bees can lift a bottle cap. Regardless of where they grip it.

>

> I watched it again, change my mind to: they were lucky. The cap was

> barely on and the bees were just rooting around for sugar when they got

> it tipped.

Double luck that someone was taking a video. Right? I do agree with the latter. (edited)

> live ɘvil Wrote:

>

That is just insane...

We use the shit out of honey. I buy from a local producer, and I usually buy two gallons at a time. We go through about a gallon a month. I prefer to get it unfiltered, so it’s full of wax bits, suspended throughout. I love needing to chew my honey.

Once I get moved out to the farm on the river, I plan on learning to keep bees and produce my own.

Make some mead!

There is a local meadery (is that a word?) in town. I have yet to try it. I need to

I was super excited to try mead. It was,imagine this... kinda too sweet.

IMO, there are better ways to make alcohol and better uses for honey.

We made mead often in college. We had a big hut fire pit camping area up in the woods behind the school. We named it Herot, after the mead hall in Beowulf. Many nights shit got a lot too crazy cuz some mead got everyone wrecked.

But we'd go out, get a gallon or so of honey, which was around 40 bucks. Throw it in a 5 gallon bucket with some champagne yeast and fill it with water or iced tea sometimes, like lemon zinger tea worked out well. you gotta shake it the first few days and then let it chill for like 2-4 weeks up in the woods with a lid and bubble lock.

Then we'd just crack it open and dunk a mug in, all the yeasty shit settles to the bottom. It was actually pretty damn tasty, and cost half as much as a keg or several boxes of franzia. Get like 20-30 folks and a fire and tell tales of bravery and reknown around the great hall. Then start fighting and kicking down trees and singing shanty songs and fantasy metal and shit got weird. pretty fucking weird.

We'd have one or 2 backup ones going at a time so it was like every other week you could get obliterated for 2 bucks apiece and it was good and also felt good making your own grog. (edited)

♣Slew Foot♣ /

On those pesky job interviews.

After the discussion of what's a payphone or zeppelin mechanic. They get to that where do you see yourself in 5 years my response was unerringly drinking deep of my flagon of mead atop a pile of my vanquished enemies.

I got the job. It was the screenprinter.

I love you guys.

I made wine. Turned into distilling. Using corn and some added sugar to brew a simple mash and then cooking out white lightening, one drop at a time.

Now I want to try WillD’s mead.

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> On those pesky job interviews.

>

> After the discussion of what's a payphone or zeppelin mechanic. They get

> to that where do you see yourself in 5 years my response was unerringly

> drinking deep of my flagon of mead atop a pile of my vanquished enemies.

>

> I got the job. It was the screenprinter.

That rules.

On forms for emergency contact or whatever I put my wife. relation? "Champion of my heart"

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If it is just to pick up my corpse. My older sister.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account