1978 carabela

Patrick Corcoran /

I just took this out of the original crate. I’m struggling with selling or riding. Any thoughts??

6AAF676F-3530-4FD7-AF3A-65E14D5534F6.jpeg

Re: 1978 carabela

Wow now that is cool

Patrick Corcoran /

Thanks

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Holy shit.... thats a time capsule of a moped....

Patrick Corcoran /

I actually have no idea what it’s worth. There are ZERO miles on it. Do you have any idea what I could get for it?

You will do far better on ebay on something that nice! There are serious moped collector's that would pay a price that your bike is worth being in true "mint" condition. A NOS Carabela moped is truly rare, NOT like a NOS Puch or Tomos moped.

Wait until some "Einstein" chimes in to say "its just a moped, 5-600$ tops"

NOT true in this case

Patrick Corcoran /

Yeah. I’m new to this. I thought the puch brand was the big seller. I did look on eBay and didn’t see anything like it

Fantastic! Worth a lot!

Super cool, I'd ride it myself, but I'm goofy like that, if you want to sell it don't, you will get more for it with 0 miles.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

*takes deep breath*

Every seal in that motor is dry rotted.

that's a display piece you got there. +1 to dry seals... but man it's beautiful, riding it would be a blast but i'd park it in my living room

kevin smellaflange /

prolly 6k

woulda kept it in the crate but dont touch a single thing on it

auction that baby, some orthodontist somewhere had one as a kid and will gladly fork over a few grand for it

or keep it forever, either one

main question for me is the story behind finding it?

was it in the back of a warehouse, a trailer, i wanna know more about the hunt for it

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

same^^^

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's still a moped, and only .1% of the population cares that it was new in crate.

Besides, you kinda fucked that up by taking it out.

$1500 is probably the limit of what even an avid carabela fan would spend given that all of the soft peripherals need to be replaced.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It's still a moped, and only .1% of the population cares that it was new

> in crate.

>

> Besides, you kinda fucked that up by taking it out.

>

> $1500 is probably the limit of what even an avid carabela fan would

> spend given that all of the soft peripherals need to be replaced.

Two old Italian guys I know from the local coffee shop always ask me about my garelli and love to talk about italian bikes they had as kids back home

one drives a caddy, the other a vette

I could probably get way more than 1500 from them if I had an old Italtelai for sale

just gotta find the right person

regardless, this bike is rad(edited)

Overpriced Parts /

If it’s a 30mph model I’d ride and enjoy it but if it was a slower more restrictive 20-25mph model (there should be a tag or plate on it that says what model) I wouldn’t put gas in it, either way I probably wouldn't sell it unless money was really needed for family,

campeona del mundo /

shoulda left it in the crate.

Worth a minimum 4000 dollars if it were mine. Hold out for the right price.

Maitland Of the Loin /

I'd buy it to ride it

You're unlikely to get a premium for this bike, unless you get lucky to find a very specific buyer. You could end up waiting 20 years and have to spend months plastering an ad all over every collectors forum to find collector interest. And like people said above, collectors are not very interested in mopeds unless it's some rare, famous breed.

Unfortunately, Candelabras are a rare, but not famous. When mopeds were a thing back in the 70's, tons of companies and entrepreneurs got into the moped manufacturing biz. Gas prices spiked and the US was freaking out about a global gas shortage that (they thought) would last forever. This means there are a dizzying amount of random makes and brands of moped (just look at the number of categories in the pictures section on the wiki). Lots of "rare breeds" but most of them are not worth any more than what a dude with 500 bucks, a vintage attitude, and glutton for punishment(and with a lot of free time) would spend on a motorize vehicle.

As far as I know, Candelabras were made in Mexico, so they are not a true European import and I imagine that makes them much less sought after as far collectors go even within the already limited moped collectors market.

The crate is cool, the zero miles on the odo is cooler than 500 miles on the odo, and the bike itself is a middle of the road Minnelli. Find someone who wants a display piece in their winter lodge and is green enough to pay over the standard $600 moped price tag. I say this is worth 800-900 with a little bit of leg work. 1,200 if you're very very lucky.

> campeona del mundo Wrote:

> shoulda left it in the crate.

+10

The pic of it crated will be almost as good though. Keep the entire crate, you might need it to ship it in when it sells on eBay for $3000

+10 on the old motor seals but, I'm sure it will start, run and ride for awhile as is.(edited)

> Patrick Corcoran Wrote:

> Yeah. I’m new to this. I thought the puch brand was the big seller. I

> did look on eBay and didn’t see anything like it

That just means more $$$$

I have a 78 Carabella Carrera top tank. Way more desireable than the step through. Mine has 15 original miles on it. If I were interested in selling it, I would think 1200-1500 would be the best I could hope for. I think the fact that yours is a step through offsets the 15 miles and you should expect about the same price range.

carabela.jpg

All of the above being said....ride it! Enjoy it! Save the crate though.

What about the Kaplan motor bike museum? I bet he would also make you an offer

« Go to Topic — end of thread