1969 Motobecane SP93 (dual-variated top tank)

IMG_1555.jpg
IMG_1561.jpg
SP93PedalTransmission.jpg

I bought this moped up while I was in the UK in 2009-2011. Over the course of a few years I gradually sourced new old stock parts from leboncoin, french Ebay and Marc at lesolex. NOS parts included: fuel tank, forks and seat. The frame and tank were powder-coated gloss black back in 2012. The dual-variated transmission is driven by a 70CC AV10 motor with PHBG carb and le partie CDI. The exhaust is an old Ninja G3 which was formerly fitted on the People's Champ of Creature fame (way back). The completed build won Best Top Tank and Best In Show at the 2015 Moped GP, largely because I also took it out on the track for some hot laps :)

This particular model was designed by Motobecane to compete with the small motorcycles flooding the European market from Japan in the late 60s. I believe it is the longest frame of any of the mopeds Motobecane built. That. combined with the motorcycle style front suspension, and overall weight, make for an extremely smooth ride. The current tuning allows the bike to hit the low 50s easily and hills are no problem with the dual variated relay box.

Thanks to Fred, I think there are a few of these floating around these days in the US. For sure none as beautiful or high performing though. Not pictured, but included in sale: second set of forks with all the spares sourced from Brian in Bristol for a complete rebuild, unpainted side covers which might be original or maybe hand built by some French farmer in the 70s.

Asking: $1200 - I can bring this to the Puddle Cutter Rally this weekend if needed.

Re: 1969 Motobecane SP93 (dual-variated top tank)

IMG_1556.jpg
IMG_1560.jpg

What a beauty!!!!

spencerrrrr r /

Ah man, Id do terrible things for this bike. GLWS

^ This, what a beauty!

So pretty! Bring it back to Philly and I’ll put money in your pocket.

I swear that tank looks like it is on backwards! LOL!

wow i can't believe you're selling that! i feel like 1200 is too cheap, hope it goes to a good home.

Love love love that bike, buddy. Find it a good home!!!

♣Slew Foot♣ /

That is an awesome bike Ian I wish you were on the right Coast again that would be the second bike I would have bought off of you that is amazingly awesome good luck with sale

Awesome seller free bump

Nice big frame and tank.

What is the fuel capacity?

Are you willing to ship?

I have had good luck with uShip in the past. I am happy to meet your shipper and help with loading at my house.

Fuel tank capacity is 8.4 L (2.2 g)

Full Specifications Here

Remember this thing from our rally, thing was jammin! Hope it goes to the right home, it’s such a beauty. You did such a perfect job on this, really wish I could justify it rn.

Thanks Jack; miss you bud

Beautiful bike.

Oooooooooooo

Kinda pretty interested... ❤️

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ /

1200 not enough for this one of a kind piece

Re: 1969 Motobecane SP93 (dual-variated top tank) - Sold

This has been sold

Josiah Radebaugh /

I'd take this over a Magnum any day! Not a TSM or TSMR though

Re: 1969 Motobecane SP93 (dual-variated top tank) - Sold

DAMNIT. I need one of these for my collection. :(

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account