WTB Puch HK Race clutch

Anyone have one on a shelf? I would like a KS one but I could grind the material off a regular one.

Idk maybe they suck and that is why they are out of stock...IDK

Re: WTB Puch HK Race clutch

They rip, but you’re gonna cook bells

That is good to know. I don’t mind wrecking bells right now I destroy a clutch and bell in less than 100mi with the lightest springs. Hope I can find one or Puch Shop gets more in.

F101BAD4-B292-4183-827F-635BEC43E717.jpeg

. I had a moment last night....felt a bit mad. I need to try something new.(edited)

Maybe I’ll get lucky but I am not holding my breath.

If this is just a fun thing to collect special e50 clutchs then okay but it’s just not worth it.

I don’t know if any more Miller light could explain that the e50 clutch set up is basically a huge restriction.

I think a cvt would please you or something with some gears to select

What? Na, you couldn’t be more wrong.

lol @ rTaco

> Baron Von Hamilton Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What? Na, you couldn’t be more wrong

I know some more beers would really help convince me too.

Maitland Of the Loin /

why you break so many bells?

Minarelli seems to break less bells, but honestly I think its the 20oz oil bath vs 5oz

Rocco I don’t know what in the hell your getting at. Sorry I don’t get on hear and boast much but when you build a fast enough bike to keep up with any of mine we can talk.

Maitland, I have been breaking bells because when the clutch goes it takes the bell with it. Kinda bums me out. Definitely have been putting more oil in, but I think I may try and triple what is called for. I think your on to something there. If a clutch arm wears out it just groves the bell so quick I would not trust it if I had it turned on a lathe. Last one the Kevlar pads wore out and metal from clutch arms groved the bell super badly. My KTM bell is trashed. It is egg shaped with the inside been sanded super smooth by 3 sets of pads wearing out in there. Even had a clutch arm break and push the clutch brace into the bell almost cutting through it. I bought a Tomar clutch and I am not super jazzed on setting it up. Idk if it will work like I want it to. I only see negative stuff in threads. So essentially I am just searching for a solution for my bike to make it more than one rally.

> Rocco I don’t know what in the hell your getting at. Sorry I don’t get

> on hear and boast much but when you build a fast enough bike to keep up

> with any of mine we can talk.

>

> Maitland, I have been breaking bells because when the clutch goes it

> takes the bell with it. Kinda bums me out. Definitely have been putting

> more oil in, but I think I may try and triple what is called for. I

> think your on to something there. If a clutch arm wears out it just

> groves the bell so quick I would not trust it if I had it turned on a

> lathe. Last one the Kevlar pads wore out and metal from clutch arms

> groved the bell super badly. My KTM bell is trashed. It is egg shaped

> with the inside been sanded super smooth by 3 sets of pads wearing out

> in there. Even had a clutch arm break and push the clutch brace into

> the bell almost cutting through it. I bought a Tomar clutch and I am

> not super jazzed on setting it up. Idk if it will work like I want it

> to. I only see negative stuff in threads. So essentially I am just

> searching for a solution for my bike to make it more than one rally.

Genuine ktm pads?! Tomar sounds cool

Ya I have gone through genuine ones. Those made it about 25mi.

Knock off ones made it a block. Like seriously a block. I put genuine KTM springs in it instead of the washer stack. I was hoping for a little more longevity. I even tried to shim them out per KTM specs form the website but they are beyond fucked.

I contacted Puch shop and they said they are going to co tack HK and see if they are going to produce anymore.

I wanted to try the Tomar, but this thread has me worried it will be another waste of my time.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,4243032(edited)

> Rocco I don’t know what in the hell your getting at. Sorry I don’t get

> on hear and boast much but when you build a fast enough bike to keep up

> with any of mine we can talk.

>

> Maitland, I have been breaking bells because when the clutch goes it

> takes the bell with it. Kinda bums me out. Definitely have been putting

> more oil in, but I think I may try and triple what is called for. I

> think your on to something there. If a clutch arm wears out it just

> groves the bell so quick I would not trust it if I had it turned on a

> lathe. Last one the Kevlar pads wore out and metal from clutch arms

> groved the bell super badly. My KTM bell is trashed. It is egg shaped

> with the inside been sanded super smooth by 3 sets of pads wearing out

> in there. Even had a clutch arm break and push the clutch brace into

> the bell almost cutting through it. I bought a Tomar clutch and I am

> not super jazzed on setting it up. Idk if it will work like I want it

> to. I only see negative stuff in threads. So essentially I am just

> searching for a solution for my bike to make it more than one rally.

My e50 with all the same parts as you is definitely way slower then your build that is highly correct without a doubt. now If I add a small 6 speed manually transmission to that, let’s just say it would be wicked cool.

You can buy all the aftermarket e50 clutchs u you want buddy lol

It is rad to see all the different clutch’s that got made for the e50 just hoping for that lil extra performance gain

Don’t worry I have an e50 clutch fetish too just don’t tell my friends.

Someone should make a stronger bell, iv broken a few but one had a crack starting on it before it blew apart.(edited)

Clutch.....anyone? Clutch?

grr I have a hk kickstart but its in a bike that I haven't put the tuning time in on. if I ever decide i'm over that motor i'll hit ya up.

I needa setup the tomar, like I bet its sweet but the it seems like the handful of people who have tried it are pretty quiet about it. I got a set of the vdm straight cuts to set it up with, just needa do it. from reading the instructions the air gap it needs is pretty small actually, so its built with close clearances in mind

the straight cut gears on treats are super nice, $$$$ tho. the bell is thicker and nicer metal and seems robust. I have the ktm diameter set, no experience with standard size. ive got a while on mine now after getting the kinks out. like a year and a half of rallies and being ridden often. been rocking a v1 hammer on e50 hub with derbi white springs and the relining from jwclutchworks. that's been pretty solid, bell looks fine last inspection. launches hard and lasting so far.

prior to putting that in I had the ktm in and slipped wayyy too much, shitty and loud and slow off the line. I had ktm dialed in for a bit and then snapped a bolt and had to recalibrate for different length bolts and never was the same.

Right on man. That is the struggle. My solution to straight cut gears without dropping all the cash was turning 3 bearing reverse cut gears countershaft into a 4 bearing. I modified the shaft to a accept a bearing. Worked pretty well. Reverse cut gears put less stress on everything. Or at least I am told that, this is how the motors can run 3 bearing instead of 4.

Let me know if you decide not to run it. I definitely want to try a KS one.

Thanks!

^i also usually rock shorter gearing, 16*45 or smaller up front. If I remember correctly from a previous thread if yours weren't you geared fairly tall? 18*45 or 40 or something. Like that slipping long like that is what I bet cooks bells. Hi stall with short gearing and the amount of time it's slipping and heating up the bell isn't as long as it is with taller gear

Outside of the actual straight gears themselves the actual bell material on the treat set is much nicer than I've seen on oem bells. Idk how factory KTM compares, I've only experienced China KTM. On the vdm site it looks like they have cnc'd bells, I bet those could be had with reverse gear or with no gear. I've no experience with their bells, the set I got was just the clutch gear & main gear on shaft. The treats ones are rad if the bell could be had independently of gear.

Yea slipping an hk generates a ton of heat and the Kevlar will glaze if it over heats.

I am geared fairly tall 15x35 but nothing crazy. I had it at 17x36 for a trial and it was way too much. 15x35 has good takeoff with decent top end.

But ya I don’t plan on over slipping the HK clutch if I can get one. No 8k stall in the plan.

Who knows I may play around more with the Tomar Clutch here in the next couple weeks. If I get it to work I’ll do a write up. Would be nice to have more info out there. I have always heard rumors of how awesome they are, but no one has done a decent write up.(edited)

> Right on man. That is the struggle. My solution to straight cut gears

> without dropping all the cash was turning 3 bearing reverse cut gears

> countershaft into a 4 bearing. I modified the shaft to a accept a

> bearing. Worked pretty well. Reverse cut gears put less stress on

> everything. Or at least I am told that, this is how the motors can run

> 3 bearing instead of 4.

>

> Let me know if you decide not to run it. I definitely want to try a KS

> one.

>

> Thanks!

Normal cut gears throw the bell and countershaft towards the clutch cover ( this puts a load on the circlip and can make it pop out) If you run a normal cut gear in 3 bearing case it will throw the counterahaft against the case wall and just heat up. Revere cut don’t put out less stress it just chages the direction of the stress and removes the weight load where it’s not wanted.

A 3 bearing puts the load on the external bearing on the output shaft. Not needing the bearing on the inside. If it works fine with 1 bearing it would have less rolling resistance with 2. If your talking about snap rings and not circlips then yes. That was another reason why I ran the reverse gears. One major reason people run straight cut gears in high powered bikes is so you don’t have to cut a grove in the case and run 2 snap ring bearings and keep the crank form walking.

But ya, looking for a HK clutch. If you want to go against my crack pot ideas bump my build thread on this bike and we can talk there.(edited)

Jeremy Homser /

The hk clutch is the same as the stock Demm Smiley clutch. The hk guys just made the kick start adapter for it and sold them for Puch. The pads are a bit fragile if you use a strong clutch spring. I made an article in the wiki about them in the Demm section. you should check it out. You can still get the clutches without the kickstart adapter on ebay italy. They are listed for a Benelli. In the us they also came on some Benelli G2 bikes

Jeremy Homser /

Jeremy Homser /

Nevermind im tripping. I thought you were talking about the old style hk clutches.

Jeremy Homser /

Crap i meant MK Clutch. Shit im tired, just ignore me

All good man. Thanks for thinking about it.

You don’t know man, maybe you should try the mk. That mk would be good to add to your clutch collection.

No the mk was straight dog doo doo. My vote is to reline a braced 2 shoe with leather. Sounds like a joke, but actually works amazing.

Have you tried a lighten bell?

I just recently cut the clutch pedal engament part part off the treats 6.0 clutch to lighten it.

C31BBA17-6954-4AC7-A508-B07BAF22D387.jpeg

cut at the the red

I also cut the clutch bell down with angle grinder and drilled some holes in it(edited)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account