WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

Mark Younggren /

Honda hobbit front headlight bezel preferably yellow. The little circle plastic piece shroud that has one screw on the front side. Don’t need whole front assembly. I believe all PA and Camino Honda’s have the same piece.

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

Express fits too, but will have to paint.

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

I believe you can 3d print that part, too. I've seen the file for it somewhere.

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

Mark Younggren /

Painting isn’t a problem. I saw a 3D printed one for sale but hesitant on quality/strength never felt with 3D printed stuff

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

I've got a 3D printer and that bezel model kicking around here some where. I've never printed one before so I can't speak to the strength but I'd be willing to give it a try make sure it fits on my Hobbit. If it seems pretty sturdy I'll send it to you for cost (basically just the shipping).

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

Mark Younggren /

Wow. Jessie that would be awesome and much. Very curious to see the quality

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

If they are decent quality you could sell a lot of them, I have never seen one without at least some damage.

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

We'll find out in ~8 hours 🤙

PXL_20210219_164154778.jpg

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

^ I don't pretend to know how that works, but I think it is cool as hell, is it "printing" in plastic? I work at a plastic company, but we only do injection molding/over molding. Unless Honda or their sub-contractor saved the og molds, this is prob the only way to come up with new. Best of luck.

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

Mark Younggren /

Awesome. The anticipation grows by the hour to see how it turned out.

What material did you use?

How do you feel it will look when painted?

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

Sorry for the late update - had a little bed adhesion issue and had to start the print over an hour or so in, but it just finished and looks pretty good! I printed it at 20% infill and it seems pretty solid. Lighting in the garage is crappy so I'll test fit it on my bike in the morning and update again.

I printed with PLA, which isn't the most durable plastic, especially if it's going to sit in the sun. I think ABS would probably be a good material for making lots of these but that requires an enclosure around the printer, so maybe that's something I'll look into in the future.

That said though, I think if you hit it with a couple coats of filler/primer, paint, and maybe a clear coat it would look good and definitely hold up way better than raw PLA. I'll dig through some of my other prints and see if I can find something I've painted before.

PXL_20210220_051216418.jpg
PXL_20210220_051206255.jpg

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ^ I don't pretend to know how that works, but I think it is cool as

> hell, is it "printing" in plastic? I work at a plastic company, but we

> only do injection molding/over molding. Unless Honda or their

> sub-contractor saved the og molds, this is prob the only way to come up

> with new. Best of luck.

Sure is - this is an FDM printer, so it prints in thermoplastics. The filament looks a lot like weed-wacker line on 1KG spool, which gets fed into a hot end that heats it up and extrudes it one 0.2mm layer at a time.

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

^ Cool! :)

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

Mark Younggren /

So it printed in the yellow color?

That seems pretty close in color to the actual Honda yellow paint?

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

It's "brighter" than stock....

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

Yeah, I can pretty much guarantee that's stronger than a stock honda deal. Those are like glass.

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

They are now, I wonder if they always were, plastic gets brittle over time, these bikes are antiques after all, plus they always seem to hit the ground in a crash?

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

PETG would be the way to go for sure if you're printing these.

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

Just dry fit the 3D printed bezel on my bike - it fits "okay". I only say "okay" because the top of the bezel doesn't really sit completely flush with the housing, but it's pretty close. All the screw holes line up though, so if you can track down some hardware it should work just fine.

As you can see it's definitely a "brighter" yellow compared to the rest of the bike like Stephen pointed out, so I'd suggest painting it. The edges could probably stand to be sanded too - because of the angle it prints its a little "jagged", but it doesn't look terrible imo.

I could print another one in black if you want - I have a stock black bezel on mine and I like it.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah, I can pretty much guarantee that's stronger than a stock honda

> deal. Those are like glass.

To be honest I actually think it is. Not gonna lie I was kind of nervous about breaking my stock bezel while taking it off to fit this one haha. Before I owned a 3D printer I paid entirely way too much for it because I bought the bike with the original completely smashed (as these things do).

PXL_20210220_163441486.jpg
PXL_20210220_163324304.jpg
PXL_20210220_163406202.jpg

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

Looks pretty damn good!

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

Mark Younggren /

Wow looks great. A little blemish on middle left? What would be the process to get it to stock color you think? Sand paper and some rust oleum

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

> Mark Younggren Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Wow looks great. A little blemish on middle left?

Think you might be seeing the screw hole?

> Mark Younggren Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What would be the

> process to get it to stock color you think? Sand paper and some rust

> oleum

Yeah I mean the layer lines are pretty hard to see, so I don't think you need to do too much sanding. Just a little bit around those jagged edges if you want those smoothed out (tried to get a better picture) with maybe like a 100 grit. My go-to for priming is the Rustoleum Sandable Filler/Primer. You can wet sand it with high grit automotive sandpaper to get a super smooth finish, but it's probably not necessary. I wouldn't know where to start to get a color match on the yellow paint, though.

Like I said if you want it in black (or maybe white, depends on your bike's accents) I could print another one off no problem, and then you don't have to worry about color matching it all. Just hit it with a clear coat or two to help protect it.

I think Nick's right PETG is probably the best material if I were to keep making these. I'm might see if I can find a roll that's close in color to the Hobbit yellow but I wouldn't hold my breath. (edited)

PXL_20210220_200500392.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210220_200728971.jpg

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

No to figure out how to print the entire headlight bucket...

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

> Jessie Paull Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Mark Younggren Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Wow looks great. A little blemish on middle left?

>

> Think you might be seeing the screw hole?

>

> > Mark Younggren Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > What would be the

>

> > process to get it to stock color you think? Sand paper and some rust

>

> > oleum

>

> Yeah I mean the layer lines are pretty hard to see, so I don't think you

> need to do too much sanding. Just a little bit around those jagged edges

> if you want those smoothed out (tried to get a better picture) with

> maybe like a 100 grit. My go-to for priming is the Rustoleum Sandable

> Filler/Primer. You can wet sand it with high grit automotive sandpaper

> to get a super smooth finish, but it's probably not necessary. I

> wouldn't know where to start to get a color match on the yellow paint,

> though.

>

> Like I said if you want it in black (or maybe white, depends on your

> bike's accents) I could print another one off no problem, and then you

> don't have to worry about color matching it all. Just hit it with a

> clear coat or two to help protect it.

>

> I think Nick's right PETG is probably the best material if I were to

> keep making these. I'm might see if I can find a roll that's close in

> color to the Hobbit yellow but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I just ordered a red that I think is pretty close. Didn't seem to find a yellow. Paint is the best option for sure

Re: WTB Honda Hobbit Front Headlight Bezel

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> I just ordered a red that I think is pretty close. Didn't seem to find a

> yellow. Paint is the best option for sure

I'd be curious to hear how the red looks when you get it.

It's funny I just returned a roll of filament to Amazon the other day that in hindsight was probably a close match to the Honda yellow, but it wasn't what I was looking for at the time. It was PLA anyway, so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for PETG to try out.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account