Re: Want to Buy. These puch factory tools

For everyone on interested I’m looking into not now will take a few weeks, planning on making 25 sets of each, only gunna make them if it’s cheap enough for people to buy them/ to make them

Cool! Yeah I dunno how I feel, it would be cool to have a set of the tools but I'm so used to doing it with plastigauge and I kinda think it's more accurate?

I do want to make a set of dummy bearings, that would help a lot. Been waiting for a good chunk of alu to show up in the trash at work...

Overpriced Parts /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Cool! Yeah I dunno how I feel, it would be cool to have a set of the

> tools but I'm so used to doing it with plastigauge and I kinda think

> it's more accurate?

>

> I do want to make a set of dummy bearings, that would help a lot. Been

> waiting for a good chunk of alu to show up in the trash at work...

It’s not accurate at all

Plastic gauge is night and day from using the factory tools, after using the factory tools for 35 years you’ll see what I’m talking about

Don't you silly machinists know that Ken knows more than everyone else about precision tooling

i*ll buy a set.

wish i could find my ZA bearing puller.

lost in the shed again and it been too cold to find them.

I have never used these tools, but read up on the procedure, why should the tools be cheap? To do it right costs, and for someone to make a set of precision tools costs, so if I were to need these I would pay a premium for them to be what the factory specified. While this hobby is getting more expensive all the time it is still far cheaper than most, and to keep a dwindling number of bikes on the road, the "right" tools are important. I will put my hat in the ring for a set I will likely never use, if it helps them get made, will keep them in box unless I come up on a Z-a50, but most likely to sell or pass on/loan out in another 10-20 yrs, to keep the marque alive and further the hobby. PM/email me with price if they are to be built.

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> Don't you silly machinists know that Ken knows more than everyone else

> about precision tooling

I'm no machinist, but I could see a plastic gauge being "compressible" ? I'm not skilled enough to know, but I would take a factory spec tool any day, like the old AC/Delco ad said, "they don't just fit, they match" :)

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> I have never used these tools, but read up on the procedure, why should

> the tools be cheap? To do it right costs, and for someone to make a set

> of precision tools costs, so if I were to need these I would pay a

> premium for them to be what the factory specified. While this hobby is

> getting more expensive all the time it is still far cheaper than most,

> and to keep a dwindling number of bikes on the road, the "right" tools

> are important. I will put my hat in the ring for a set I will likely

> never use, if it helps them get made, will keep them in box unless I

> come up on a Z-a50, but most likely to sell or pass on/loan out in

> another 10-20 yrs, to keep the marque alive and further the hobby.

> PM/email me with price if they are to be built.

They shouldn’t be “cheap” but priced within reason, like repros should not be unobtainium prices. They’re a precision tool that needs to be manufactured accurate, but there’s not much to them, they’re not a complicated measuring device that should ever need to be calibrated. They’re really just a big awkward version of locking calipers.

That being said, a small batch is going to be more costly than mass production and it takes time as well. I would still be a buyer up to a certain premium. I have a few ZA’s and snag any I come across regardless of condition, so a set of these would be especially handy to have.

Yeah plastigauge is not a plastic gauge, it's like clay that smooshes out, I'm sure there youtubes on it. Fancy pants pro race engine guys I've talked to like it because it takes everything into account and gives you the real clearance the bearing is seeing.

The nice thing about it is that you put everything together and torque it all down so you are taking into account all the gasket compression and everything. Just torquing the screws can be .005 of change. You gotta do a little math but it's pretty easy.

The way I do it, I dunno how it's not accurate, I put 2 little pieces on the shims across from each other on both bearing shafts, the only time it's annoying is if I'm already too tight, in which case you gotta repeat it a couple times. I do the crank end float with a depth gauge and only have had to pull a bearing off once.

This is where the plastic bearing slugs could come in handy as long as they are super accurate. But then I guess slight variations in actual bearing brands can end up throwing things off.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

The crank bearings on a really low mile ZA bike i just got are very growly, and I'd really like to replace them...what is the OEM brand bearing that Puch used? Would be really nice to have a set of these for whenever I attempt it

if someone is looking to actually make these, I work at a machine shop and ive talked to benji before about treats buying them. if someone wants to team up to make these then have them sold on treats send me an email (on my profile)

Nick Brethouwer /

I'd be down for a set. Let me know what the price is figured out to be when you move forward.

> Wolf Wizard Wrote:

> if someone is looking to actually make these, I work at a machine shop

> and ive talked to benji before about treats buying them. if someone

> wants to team up to make these then have them sold on treats send me an

> email (on my profile)

I emailed you

Steven Whitright /

This has come up a few times so I try to not get my hopes up but in case helpful mark me down as another person who’d be interested

I'd be interested in a set too, please mark me down for one. Thank you

RZ Namllow /

My long shot in the dark paid off..

A fellow MA member sold me set. I am much obliged.

Mark me down for a set.

Emailed treatland they said they have multiple people working on these tool already so I don’t feel a need I need to make them, hopefully if work out for the others working on them

> MPB Dylan Wrote:

> Emailed treatland they said they have multiple people working on these

> tool already so I don’t feel a need I need to make them, hopefully if

> work out for the others working on them

But no one has come thru yet. First to the finish line right?

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> > MPB Dylan Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Emailed treatland they said they have multiple people working on these

>

> > tool already so I don’t feel a need I need to make them, hopefully if

>

> > work out for the others working on them

>

> But no one has come thru yet. First to the finish line right?

True but I’m not gunna spend a bunch of money and time making a big batch of them to then not sell them

treats is not giving out a time frame when "just stay tuned". I would bet I'm not the only one on here that would prepay a deposit on the purchase for a "guaranteed" delivery date. I don't understand all the secrecy about these tools. I have precision ground components for spray systems produced regularly with no issues. I create drawings, submit them to our vendor and I have pricing within 24 hours. Once quantities are decided I have pricing and a finish date. And the components are available on that date. I realize the investment and risk and the small quantities driving the price up but there has to be a way to make this happen. Am I missing something? (other than an original set to make the drawings from)

For me to make them out of aluminum and have a steels middle tube it will cost I’m guessing around 150$+shipping, that’s for the pair of them

That is a very fair price for the set. I might have a line on an original set from another MA person but still very interested.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account