Motobecane Magneto cover - CAN'T REMOVE IT!

Working on my '78 Moby 7, and trying to get the cover off the flywheel to replace my condenser, but can't find the tool I need to remove it. Anyone have a source for the square drive wrench 100023? Anyone have a suggestion for a standard tool that will do the job, or a dimension for the "square drive" itself (looks like about 20mm or so)?

1215788966_magneto.jpg

Re: Motobecane Magneto cover - CAN'T REMOVE IT!

I use a 3/8" socket driver and strike it with a hammer shile holding the flywheel with a strap wrench. Remember it's left handed threads so it's Righty loosey and lefty Tighty.

Rusty

remember the nut is reverse threaded (CW to loosen). I used a piston stop to immobilize the magneto and a 3/8" socket with handlebars slid over the handle for a lever to break it free the first time. after that you can just get it off with the socket. impact drills are a bad idea according to me. map gas and PB blaster are also a bad idea according to me.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

^^^i second that. just use your ratchet and stomp on it. bam. done. also, use a piston stop.

make sure you're not leaning over your bars when you try to break that nut free, I almost took at my eye and may or may not have lost consciousness for a second.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

HAHA

Thanks- I knew there was an easier way to do this!

I personally had to hack off the sides of the nut so that it was rectangular which allowed me to use a wrench to turn it.

Good way to get it off, but a bit destructive. Would have to buy a new one most likely afterward.

I am struggling with this right now, and I think I am going to have to cut it out. Where can a i buy a new nut, and perhaps cover?

https://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=novi+nut

if you cut the edge a little with an angle grinder you might be able to knock it free with a chisel in the correct direction,

Pushrod Fifty /

It takes a 10mm square drive.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It takes a 10mm square drive.

That^ is a hair more than 3/8" . So , any 3/8" ratchet or breaker bar should fit with a very slight amount of play . Just right . ;)

For what it's worth, the Peugeot 9759 wrench is the closest tool I could find. It's a double ended 10/8 mm square drive. Mostly fits the 11 mm reverse threaded Novi nut. Also useful for Volvo cars.

Peugeot.9759.jpg

Richard Eberline /

Its a 10mm square drive socket and a 3/8" drive Rachet is to small. Pushrod told you in this post. So it is a 10mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now that I have a proper square socket, they seem to come off a bit easier, but here's what I've done numerous times. use a 32mm bicycle headset wrench, center it on the dome of the flywheel nut, take a sharpie and trace the inside of the wrench. Next use a cutoff tool/die grinder and cut the dome of the nut to fit the cone wrench, blast it with penetrating oil, give it a little heat, and it will usually come loose, I've done some REALLY stuck ones this way.

3/8 inch socket driver in an electric impact is the only thing I use. Haven’t ruined one yet!

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> 3/8 inch socket driver in an electric impact is the only thing I use.

> Haven’t ruined one yet!

I tried with my Craftsman impact and didn't work. I had to fill the cylinder with rope and then use a ratchet with a long ass pipe on it to bust mine off. I've done it with 3 AV7s now with ease

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account