Choke Trouble on Dellorto SHA 15

I have been trying to install a brand new Dellorto 15.15 Sha lever choke on my puch however after installing the throttle cable, I can push down the lever choke but it doesn't release when I pull the throttle or try to push it back. The only way i can get it to release is to open the top of the carb and it will click back. I figure i am putting it together incorrectly

I am been assembling it like like this:

After opening the top of the carb I run the throttle cable down into the carb and put it through the slide. There is the metal choke lever which sticks out from the carb top, i am not sure what to do with it and i think this is my issue.

Looking inside the carb i can see that the choke lever/ choke flap has a slit in it for the lever that come off the top of the carb. I figure that when I click the lever choke the lever from the carb top locks into place the choke flap at the slit, however there is no way to get it to unlock. When i open the top i am essentially disengaging it by pulling out the lever from the slit and the choke flap falls into place.

Am i missing a part or just being stupid and putting it together wrong. I opened it one before this and may have lost something i guess.

Nick

Jerry Franek /

Sit down and play with it to see how it works. I dremeled the engaging tit down a little to give it sort of a "hair trigger" to allow it to come off choke more easily.

Re: Choke Trouble on Dellorto SHA 15

Take the slack out of the throttle cable until the choke disengages when you twist it all the way open.

Jerry Franek /

Yes, right as usual ^^^.

You can shorten the lock lever edge to reduce the engaging feature, good stuff here.

After talking in the Moped Army Chat I moved the throttle cable inside the spring, which seemed to not do anything but after taking off the air filter and building it up a few times, all is well and choke engages and disengages when full throttle! Thanks all for the help and the advice on dremeling.

While we are on the subject of fixing (don't want to start another thread), does anyone know how to take out an engine rod (the rods that cylinder sits on) that is stripped? I cant do the 2 nuts locking trick and have started to use vice grips with no luck, but didn't want to go to far and get in more trouble. PB blaster?

-nick

The stud is stripped on the head side or on the case side? Both of you methods should work. You might try pb blaster, though it shouldn't be in there that tight.

Ned Renner /

Saabsonnetguy nailed it, adjusting the cable was the cure for me. Thanks!

just for the record on the sha, the throttle cable does not go thru the spring

Hi, Let me state first that I am a novice. I have a similar problem -but not exact- with my choke lever. I can close the choke fine but when I engage the throttle it wont release. However, its because the lever is leaning up against the part that sticks out-(sorry for my ignorance don't know what to call it.)- it stops it from springing back. The lever doesn't go far back enough to allow for the sticking out part to release. As soon as I push the lever out of the way by hand the sticking out part releases fine so I preety sure the throttle cable is ok. I think the lever doesn't go down far enough or spring back far enough -but don't know how to correct it. And i am not sure if that is the reason my bike wont start. Can the choke malfunctioning cause my bike not to start up? So frustrated... stranded. 1977 bianchi bianchimatic. Dellorto sha 14 12...

Post a pic close up.

chk1111.jpg
chk1.jpg
chk11.jpg

hey and thanks. Kinda got it to move back and forth but it can't be right. Moped still won't start. The only way I got it started today was a squirt of fluid where the spark plug lies with the choke open. ( spaying starting fluid in the carb throat did nothing.) The pic with my finger holding it closed so that it doesn't touch the lever. The other pic it's brushing up against it. I got it to work once or twice but it still is touching and not working correctly. Sorry, I've only had the bike for a short time and I'm not exactly a spring chicken...old dog am i

Maybe the spring has lost it's tension ?(edited)

Captain Janeway /

Your spring should be riding flush against that edge inside, not sitting up on the brown area. Tighten it down or see if the spring's broken.

Thanks again. I will move it against the edge tomorrow to see if it helps. Do I tighten it tight or just enough? It seems to work better on the looser side. Could be the spring. How would you test for that?

> roy cordero Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks again. I will move it against the edge tomorrow to see if it

> helps. Do I tighten it tight or just enough? It seems to work better on

> the looser side. Could be the spring. How would you test for that?

Tighten it . If it still works , OK . If it doesn't work , something has to change so it will .

Has spring sprung?

Hey and thanks. I moved the spring and tightened the nut. Seems to have done the trick although it still rest up against the lever. But, alas, she still won't start unless i spray fluid in spark plug hole. Then I have to keep giving it gas to keep it from stalling out. thanks again for you knowledge.

Captain Janeway /
IMG_20190616_123314276.jpg

Look like this?

If you have spark and fuel, clean the carb again

When you clean the carb , insure that the idle jet is clear . A small wire from a wire brush should help .

I will clean the Carb with emphasis on idle jet. I'll get back to you tomorrow, Thanks again.

Cleaned the carb as much as I could without messing with the throttle cable and I guess that isn't enough. Used wire and carb cleaner. Same as before. No start. I'm hesitant about taking it completely off the bike because It's a tricky step to get it back on right and i'm not sure I can do it right. choke still sticks a little but that part works- just not the bike...

Whats the spark plug look like?

Whats it look like afyer trying to start?

Is it wet?

If the plug is not wet, try injecting a small amount of gas into the intake or combustion chamber and see if it starts.

The plug is wet. I think my problem is fear. I need to take the carburetor off the bike and clean it really good -but getting the throttle cable attached and the assembly- is a little scary... I'm new at this. Yesterday I shot some starting fluid in there and it did start but i had to give it gas to keep it going. Thanks again for all your help.

If your plug is wet after trying to start then its getting fuel to the combustion chamber. Be sure you dont have a float problem that is flooding carb. Does gas ever run out of carb? Remove air box and filter to see.(edited)

When I was cleaning it today I tilted it and a lot of gas leaked out. Not sure if thats a good thing or what you are talking about. Excuse my ignorance before i say this, do you mean I should start the bike without the air box and filter? Would i notice gas leak then? Is that your point? Sorry again, newbie...

Yes

Yes

Yes

A carb needs to be reasonable level for it not to leak.

You induced a temporary leak by tilting carb. Thats gonna happen.

Carry on.

Are you removing the float bowl from the carb when cleaning it ?

Or are you simply cleaning the outside of the carb ?

I didn't remove the float bowl. I cleaned main jet and idle jet and two more holes. Using wire and carb cleaner. Looks clean but...Maybe I should take the float bowl out and clean where where the "thing-ama-jig" sticks into. Thanks everyone

> roy cordero Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I didn't remove the float bowl. I cleaned main jet and idle jet and two

> more holes. Using wire and carb cleaner. Looks clean but...Maybe I

> should take the float bowl out and clean where where the "thing-ama-jig"

> sticks into. Thanks everyone

Main jet is within float bowl.

Be very careful with bowl gasket when taking apart. DO NOT spray carb cleaner or any other cleaner on rubber or plastic parts.

Thanks, I didn't know that the main jet was in the float bowl. You are talking about where the pointed end of the float boat connector rests? Pardon my ignorance. And thanks again. Ill try again tomorrow.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account