QT50 headlight coversion to halogen bulb, how?

Okay, I now have three QT50's and one sort of working headlight. I can't afford to buy three $70 headlights from OEM. A guy posted that I could do a halogen conversion, but he never said how. I went to O'Reilly's auto parts today and found several 12volt halogen bulbs with three prong connectors that looked like they would fit into the headlight base perfectly. Does anyone know of a model # and a method of doing this correctly? I think it would be very valuable to every QT50 owner to know this information. Perhaps tomorrow I'll go down there and experiment with one of the bulbs.

Re: QT50 headlight coversion to halogen bulb, how?

Get any 3 prong halogen bulb and any 3 prong female connector. Take a dremel to your original sealed bulb and cut out the existing bulb, and enlarge the opening so that your new halogen fits in. There are many options, all will work. Once you have an appropriately sized hole, insert new bulb and secure it using your favorite method. I used electrical tape and then duct to hold it in, but you could use jb weld or anything else too. Then you wire in the 3 prong female to your wiring harness, plug it in and whammo, you've got a 7$ headlight!

Frank Horrigan /

you know im going to let you in on a little secret. Walmart sells 12v halogen lights two for 18.99

super easy to set up and they rule.

cool. But wouldn't the three prongs on the end of the bulb fit into the female that's already wired into the bike? It sure looks like it would! I guess I can take an eight dollar risk. Thanks. Only bummer is having to buy a Dremel tool. what attachments do I need to get with it to cut out the old bulb and enlarge the opening? I'm taking a shopping trip to Wal-mart tomorrow and wouldn't want to get home only to realize I still can't do what I need to do. I looked at clip on lights at W-mart a few nights ago and there were some halogen lights for $19 a piece, but I didn't see any two for $18. maybe at a different store they would have them. Still I think I'll try the conversion method first. I like the idea of using the original headlight.

Take the end of the bulb(outside) and grab it with some channel locks from the back. Turn it until the soldier that holds the bulb into the lens casing brakes free, at this point the bulb will spin in the headlight lens. Now smack it by the prongs good a few times with the channel locks until the bulb brakes inside the lens housing the just pull the busted bulb remains out and shake or vacuum the broken bulb glass out. Now a buy a mid 1990's Chevy truck bulb, it has a o ring on it and it fits the hole perfect. silicone it after its in. Now just cut and crimp female wire connectors on the harness and plug onto the bulb. QTS are 6 volt, if you swap out the stator ass. out from a razz its 12 volt and will run the halogen bulbs better.

the stator ass.? razz? I didn't understand anything you just said in that last sentence. I'm new to all this moped stuff so I'm not fully aware of all the lingo. Please translate for me because I'm anxious to get the headlights working on my bikes. I have two running QT50's that need headlights, and possibly two to three on the way.

Stator assembly from a Yamaha razz scooter. You don't need it to do the bulb swap

Im kind of having the same problem, but all i have is the case for the bulb and wires that is it. Know where to find a ring and cover?

Maybe ask on here and someone will have one for sale. I haven't quite taken assessment of all the parts I can part with just yet. I now have a total of 5 QT50's. A very generous and awesome guy way out in the country gave me two QT50's with spark and good compression but missing the extras like lights and horns and covers, a Suzuki FA50 and another Suzuki with 50 in the name but I am at a loss for it right now. Looks similar to a Yamaha Champ with the white plastic that runs down the middle top portion. Plus he gave me one and half QT50's just in parts. So that's 5 and half bikes for $125. I was so completely excited but now I'm a little overwhelmed. Once I get everything sorted out I'll see if there's an extra ring around, but seriously ask around here first. You'll probably get it sooner that way.

Got a right hand mirror in all that? Would love to buy one.

unfortunately, no mirrors at all. I am looking for one as well. Anything else you need?

I bought the 12vt halogen bulb. the three prong connector, and tried EVERY configuration of wiring it into the headlight wires and nada, nothing, no light at all! WTF? What did I do wrong? Luckily the auto place took everything back. I am so confused. I am about to cry and give up. I found the two halogen lights at wal-mart for $19. I would like to try and keep the original lamp if I can. I just found the service manual, I have the wiring diagram already, and I found a post about using Honda Passport lens's instead. I found one for $20. I just need to save up to buy one now. I hate this!

years of expensive therapy...... :) thanks anyway! I have a aftermarket bulb in my bike, when I get it going will see how it works, I' am anal about keeping things stock though so will be on the lookout for a stock replacement unless it works really well. I did not do the conversion, not going to take it apart unless it does not work. Best of luck with your bikes!

Michael Blennerhassett /

I got a 12v 60/55w h4 bulb but no luck it won't work at all does anybody now what I should e looking at to try and trouble shoot this? Do you think the bulb is too big?

Ps the headlight has never worked on the bike while I've owned it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221425240945?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT they have 20 but not listed on Ebay message ( the vintage spoke) $20 plus shipping and the bulb is replaceable for $3 or you might find a 12v bulb to fit?

Michael Blennerhassett /

With a bit of die grinding I've managed to get my h4 bulb to fit and it looks good thanks for the help

Will a 12v bulb work on the QT's 6v system? Trying to replace/repair my headlight as well

Jack Rutherford /

I’m gonna say that Kris Rose never got the bulb in. 12v will work in 6v system just not as bright.

Jack what would be needed to use led's? Headlight, taillight, and signals. I just picked up a white mj50.

punkrock randy /

Yeah, my Champs headlight finally died, time for me to find a solution too :-/

Cut out the back of stock bulb, (carefully) and get a car Halogen and pigtail connection, swap over, or spend the $ for the stock replacement, buy two, they are fading away. Or remove whole Bezel and all and use Harbor freight led tractor light. I would go stock, even though it is more expensive, but that's just me. last one lasted 40 odd yrs....

Jack Rutherford /

> Rob P Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Jack what would be needed to use led's? Headlight, taillight, and

> signals. I just picked up a white mj50.

I've never done the LED lights so no sure what is involved but there are plenty of posts about it.

There's a 6v three pronged halogen bulb that I've used from eBay several times.

Treats has a couple different qt50 headlights for $30ish as well. And I think they have replaceable bulbs.

^^^ I have the Treats chrome one on a QT 50 and it does have replaceable bulb. No wiring mods necessary.

punkrock randy /

I’d be sad to stop using factory painted bezel, still in such good shape. Chrome one on treats does look good tho if I had to.

Jack Rutherford /

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I’d be sad to stop using factory painted bezel, still in such good

> shape. Chrome one on treats does look good tho if I had to.

Treats headlight works on lb50 and lb80 and probably works on champ too

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account