Garelli clutch rebuild

Baltard Drought /

So I searched the wiki, and moped repair forum. I see that I can replace the clutch rubber.... bushings? with 1/4" fuel line. My clutch has no intact peices left, are these supposed to be flush?

Re: Garelli clutch rebuild

The original bushings are 7 mm deep, 6.5 mm ID, 10.5 mm OD

Baltard Drought /

Awesome thanks! would these being gone cause me to stall unless moving at 10 mph or more?

probably

you only really need 3 of em... but yeah, brian is dead on. from my experiene, you dont have to be exact either

make sure you have proper fluid levels, and 30w non detergent. check to make sure your lip is intact

The pieces of the old bushings are probably somewhere in your clutch box, and/or disintegrated into your oil, causing clutch problems. You may have to disassemble everything and clean it all super-thoroughly, install the correct amount of non-detergent oil, and maybe replace the clutch rubber along with the bushings. The worn/torn rubber pieces get caught in between the clutch parts and hub, and also block the hole in the hub that allows the oil to get to the shaft. If you couldn't find any bushings, they're probably torn apart and caught in between parts.

I have a 1976 garelli rally sport and have the clutch box torn apart right now. The bike wouldnt idle or run at slow speeds so i dropped the engine to see what i could find. From what I see, Im missing 3 bushings, a starter lever, and a pivot pin. Does anyone know where I could get these parts? I live in minneapolis.

Thanks Brian!

This is too funny... So, I'm taking my NOI engine apart to replace the bearings and when I took the clutch apart I was looking around for these "bushings" and all I could find were little chunks of melted rubber. Ha! This thread explains it though, and why I had trouble idling. So the replacement "bushings," can it be any kind of rubber fuel line, doesn it have to be a specific kind of rubber? Also, if I'm visualizing this correctly, we're talking about cutting pieces of fuel line and standing them in between the clutch hub and the starter disk? Around where the spring goes?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot /

the bushings are #11 in the attatched drawing, they slide onto the "nubs" on the clutch hub. i used clear fuel line tubing. just make sure they can easily pass thru the starter plate.

1278463777_garellisportclutch.jpg

Some idling problems are the .. 30year old rubber clutches.

Let me know I have some new ones.

So there should be 8 of them, one for each nub?

6 bushings.

6 out of the 9 posts/nubs get bushings. See the photos on page 20 of this manual:

http://www.mopedcentral.com/images/AmericanGarelliServiceManual.pdf

Cool. I've never seen that manual before. The photos are much better than that 77-78 manual.

Dude, there are pieces of rubber everywhere throughout the engine. They're in the bearings, in all the gears, it every hole and corner. What a fucking stupid idea to make a clutch out of rubber.

Yeah that manual is Wasatch better than the one most people know. Has schematics of a 3, 4, and even 5-speed engine too.

Not the most popular clutch setup.

Be careful with the Clymer Manual 1976-78...there are some questionable repair instructions in there.

Be sure the driven gear is removed and cleaned, especially any lubrication hole going through the gear to lubricate the crankshaft.

1278550120_cimg0771.jpg

Weird, my clutch doesnt look like yours :)

1278561781_poo1.jpg

Beautiful... I'm always tempted to venture into that performance mod. You're the man Mike

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot /

i'd really like to do this,now that my garelli is kitted.what mods need to be done to the minarelli clutch bell for this to work?... a wiki article would be awesome... if spacers become available again, i'm down!

2x the wiki. How could you keep this knowledge to yourself?!

Patrick Murphy /

Could any one please help me I'm looking to know what is the size or the diameter of the clutch spring for my garelli m50 please many thanks Patrick Murphy

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account