Yamahopper Speedometer is stripped

At least that is what I assume it is. Let me explain:

A couple of weeks ago I was able to hit well past top speed going downhill. Now my speedometer needle is all over the place. I've seen it go all the way around 360 degrees well past zero at normal cruising speed.

I don't think it is the cable, because I hear a grinding sound coming from the display.

I also think this problem is adding way more miles to my odometer too.

For those who know, does it sound like I have located the problem? Can I buy a new replacement part or do I need to begin the hunt for a used part or entire ignition box?

Re: Yamahopper Speedometer is stripped

Have you fixed this yet? I have the same exact problem and it sounds very annoying once I hit 20 mph. Mine is a 79 so there is nbo odometer just speedometer, and the needle goes crazy on it while it makes that awful sound. Have you found a solution yet?

just dump the cable, who needs a speedo? I have an 1980 so no odo either, so no real need for a cable...mine did not come with one. (cable) was thinking of velcroing a gps where the "dash" is.

i have the same problem just disconected the cable. the noise realy got to me. i would like to know how fast im going though.

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

Take a look at the speedo gear drive in the wheel hub more than likely stripped (plastic) I think they go for 12 bucks at bikebandit. I'm going to look at mine today cause it's actin a little wierd in the dash if I find somethin I'll get back

Old thread but maybe this will help someone. The speedometer itself is removable, but hard to find, and expensive. The issue is that there is a little spiral wind up spring that is supposed to stop the needle from doing the helicopter and that spring probably got too much tension on it and snapped loose. That’s what happened with mine anyway. Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to repair.

I’ve got spare speedo parts, let me know what you think you need and I’ll get ya hooked up the best I can. (edited)

Elliot Banker-Sumner /

If you would be willing, I need just the "base" of the actual speedometer itself. mine is locked up. Not the part with the gears, but the part with the metal disk that is permanently attached and as the cable hook up.

> Elliot Banker-Sumner Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If you would be willing, I need just the "base" of the actual

> speedometer itself. mine is locked up. Not the part with the gears, but

> the part with the metal disk that is permanently attached and as the

> cable hook up.

Maybe PM him . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account