Express broken spring/kick start converted

Well the spring on my 1980 NC50 Express finally broke. I wanted to avoid the kick start conversion, but the expense of a new L cover is more than I want to spend.

Broken Spring

I found an old thread on doing the conversion. The nice thing is this did not involve any tapping, just a trip to Ace hardware.

Here is a picture of the starter drive sprocket with the washers inserted. The washers replace the spring removing the ratcheting feature of the sprocket. I used some lock washers and squeezed them flat. Lock washers seem to be the only thing I can find with the proper inner and outer diameter. I did use two different ones to fill the space.

Here is a pic of the L cover with the main spring removed. I had to drill out the centers of the button head bolts holding the plate down. I still ended up cutting the side off the nuts with a dremel and was able to remove them with some channel lock pliers.

I replaced the safety torx head bolts with some regular button head bolts. I also used a little blue loctite when I put them back in.

Here are all the pieces in place and ready to be joined to the rest of the crankcase.

Lastly here is the finished product. I took advantage of the fact that I had the L cover off and gave it a few coats of white paint to pretty it up a bit.

Using the original arm with the footpeg removed, it works good although I am using may hand to spin it. I am looking for something, perhaps from a different bike, to use as a proper kickstart.

Re: Express broken spring/kick start converted

Nice man. She's ready for that kit now!

get a nc or nx kick start arm. i might have one if not get a hold of rick ems he has a ton of honda nu stuff.

Mariano Ulibarri /

Thanks man. I know my NC50 spring isn't going to last forever!

2min 48 sec

Yep, seen that one thanks. Just not too keen on the welding. The washers seem to be an easier and equally effective solution.

Way to go, I never would have fucked with all that, is the kick-start (with stock parts) really crazy expensive? Just wondering, no exp with these bikes. <Always impressed with people who can fab things!

i posted that video was posted just to show you an option for your kickstart lever.

Oh yeah, I see what you are saying. Thanks for that. I am not sure how he did it though. Simply reversing it and flipping it over won't position the foot pedal properly on the kick starter.

It very easy and only costs a buck or so for the two washers.

you take the c-clip off the end, flip the lever, and weld it back on

peddy 001.JPG
peddy 002.JPG
peddy 003.JPG

Okay, I get it now. I never heard any welding mentioned. Thanks!

bye the way I just tried an nu50(urban express) kick lever on the nc50 one speed motor and it doesn't work the kickstarter shaft on the urban motor is bigger than the nc motor.

Go to know. I think someone in this thread already recommended something like that.

Steven,

I have a ‘77 express (NC50). I was reading this blog and none of the pictures of the work you did on the inside are in here. The outside finished are in here. Did the spring to retract the pedal as you wind it to pull the brake leaver to start it brake on yours or the spring that winds up the stater in the front of the case. I saw a video on the kick start for the front spring broken. Mine is the retract spring to wind it up. Can’t find anyone that carries it except in the Netherlands. LOL

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account