Puch Maxi Points Won't Open

So I've got a 77 Maxi & I'm having trouble with ignition timing. It was running perfectly until I messed with the flywheel.

I decided to put the treats 12v lighting coil on it. I removed the flywheel with a puller, removed the old coils and added the 12v coil. Wired everything up properly and now it won't start. I don't think I'm getting a spark. I loosed up the stator (& the points on accident) a little when installing the new coil to get the old headlight/tailight wires out of there. I'm thinking when I loosened up the stator & points I must have messed up the timing somehow?

I've watched various youtube videos about finding TDC (which I believe I've found) and setting the point gap. I loosened the points and inserted a cereal box sliver in them then tightened them to set the point gap. However, when I turn the flywheel it seems like the points are not opening anywhere. I've even tried to set a bigger point gap with a screwdriver and then turned the flywheel, points still don't seem to be opening in any position.

Any tips? The spark plug also dropped a foot or so when I was installing the new coil, it looks fine but could the shock mess it up at all? Any other ideas of what could be wrong? I never had an issue with it not starting until I messed with the flywheel and now I'm mad at myself for putting in this 12v coil!(edited)

Re: Puch Maxi Points Won't Open

loosen points and set all the way clockwise. if they do not open then ? they are worn . flywheel not in keyway. or broken. take off flywheel and take a look. check were points ride on flywheel lobe see if lose rivet no good

They open when I loosen them, but when I tighten them back up with cardstock between to set the gap then put the flywheel back on and twist it I can't tell when they're opening to set the timing. Therefore I don't think they're opening when tightened. Worked perfectly before I took it apart and tried to install the light coil...

john cervini /

It sounds like when you tightened the points they closed on the cardboard too tight then when you took the cardboard out they closed all the way. There shouldn't be any real pressure on the cardboard when you set the gap. It should slide in and out of the points easily. But also make sure the flywheel is lined up on the woodruff key too.

points are so fun......

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Rob O'rien Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They open when I loosen them, but when I tighten

> them back up with cardstock between to set the gap

> then put the flywheel back on and twist it I can't

> tell when they're opening to set the timing.

> Therefore I don't think they're opening when

> tightened. Worked perfectly before I took it apart

> and tried to install the light coil...

The flywheel needs to be on when you set the point gap.

You need to hold the points on the notches with another screw driver while you tighten and hold the cardboard in there it can be a pain in the ass

Rob, did this ever get resolved for you? I’m having the exact same issue and I’m not sure what to do!

> Blake Johnson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Rob, did this ever get resolved for you? I’m having the exact same issue

> and I’m not sure what to do!

I literally just had this happen to me today. Loosen the points (it's just the one screw above the plate that doesn't move) and rotate them all the way to the right. Then set your point gap at TDC

The kid said he removed the strator plate to instal the new light coil so even if it does start the timing is probably not correct.

Timing is really important to learn and once you catch on it's actually a lot of fun to test your brain on different ignition especially unkeyed cdis that don't have a firing mark.

Post a pic of the points for all we know is the heel is junk.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account