Removing Hobbit rear wheel nut

Today has been a terrible day for my mopeds, mostly because of me doing dumb things. I tried everything to get the rear wheel nut (the one that holds on the brake plate) off of one of my bikes. I tried channel locks, clamping it in a bench vise and turning it, hammering a corner with a screwdriver to get it to turn. In a stupid final effort, I ground off the corners to make it 6-sided, and put a socket on it. The socket fit really well, but it didn't move. I even tried an impact, which rounded it off even more.....

Any ideas, or am I never getting this off? (edited)

0423142106-00.jpg

Re: Removing Hobbit rear wheel nut

That is a freewheel for a bicycle. There is a tool for it. Go to a bicycle shop with the wheel.

Looks like a total loss I'm afraid. all you can really do is unscrew the left hand bearing cage cup and let the bearings and the teeth fall out. Then you can get rough with it. Heat it with a hand torch and force it off.

Be sure to use plenty of anti seize on the new one.

I actually just made this today. I works very well but I doubt that its fool proof. I have seen other special tools fail on these stubborn bastards.

Some times you still have to go caveman.

Hondas especially suck cause they are an oddball size and only have two flats on the back to wrench on.

(edited)

Geez. I am not looking forward to replacing my rear brake. It needs it badly too.

Some times its best not to take a chance with trying to crecent wrench it off and just clamp the double "D" lug portion of the free wheel in a good strong vice. You may only get one good shot to not wind up with a newb made mutation and nothing left to grab onto.

Ha Ha, now Bill has to endure the grins of accusation from the countermen at a bicycle shop as he stammers out his story of failure.

Countermen with machines far more primitive than our own but no doubt still turning to the right.

Emil Kniemel /

What do you need? Chain whip?

Emil Kniemel /

Boom. Vice:

Emil Kniemel /

Cheetah. Your tool is to separate the freewheel further correct? You can just remove the whole shebang for a brake job?

That is a bitch to remove. I nearly did the above deed. I would spray some "deep creep" by sea breeze wait a day or two , heat it up and turn it in a vice. You don't need a chain whip. If ya know a great bike shop esp one that does mt bikes thats small and local perhaps the head wrencher who probably also motocrosses will try his hand. I def would procure a new one.

I should replace mine...

Hammer on that 7/8 12pt socket, impact it off with hand on the wheel / rim.

another user wanting help

https://mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?6,3134772,3136443

https://mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?6,3054245 - hobbit final drive disassembly

i have used a 4ft breaker bar and a new adjust wrench don't use a cheap one. these can be really hard to remove.

i've done it by myself a few times with a breaker bar and jumping on the bar... one time I had to pay a shop to get it off because it was NOT coming off... those things are stubborn sons of bitches.

I also used a breaker bar, adjustable wrench, and hand torch heat.

Yeah I've done the vice, hasn't worked unfortunately. I think I destroyed it too much for the vice to hold onto it anymore. I might try hammering a smaller socket on it and trying a breaker bar. Afraid it'll just round off again, though.

Has anyone welded a nut to this to remove it? Or would the torque needed to break it free just break the weld?

Emil Kniemel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Cheetah. Your tool is to separate the freewheel

> further correct? You can just remove the whole

> shebang for a brake job?

No I built it big and beefy to properly wrench the whole freewheel off in one chunk. The last pic is just to show how the wrench fits on the flats.

Cheetah, there's flats on the back too? You know of any tools that can get to those (besides your special tool)?

Or will wrenching there just remove the freewheel and not the weird nut thing that threads on the axle?

Think of the double "D" lug on the outside and the flats on the inside as the rim on a car. It is all one piece. It comes off at the same time, together.

The rest of the stuff, the chain gear, the ring with the writing and two holes is the separate parts.

When removing one of these things from the axel, pay no attention to the directional arrow. that is for removing the bearing race and spocket from the center "rim".

These things have right hand threads and screw off like normal.

You can see how I used a huge chisel on the flats in the past to get this one off.

sorry for my confusion, but.

2 of those chisel marks are for righty - loosie?

only 1 is lefty.

"These things have right hand threads and screw off like normal."

the video Emil Kniemel linked confirms lefty loosie.

this is one job i've dreaded, for exactly this reason.

that and maybe finding oil inside.

i'm running out of excuses to attempt this, thanks for the write up.

Really really get the deep creep shit first and let it soak in. That stuff is insane.

I was younger then and like many was swayed by the directional arrow on the bearing retainer and probably tried to turn the thing to the left with many many hammer blows. As you have noted the one "lefty" hammer notch, this was all it took as I could see the part "winking" when I finally hit it in the right direction.

You will not find oil inside your brake drum. A leaky output shaft seal will always deposit oil on the lefthand side of the wheel hubs bulkhead where it runs and collects out the left side of the bike at the bottom of the tranny.

You shoes feel slippery because of glazing no doubt.

Note the tranny side of this wheel, Oil cant get to the other side where the shoes are.

My fellow mechanics have often found when loosening troublesome bolts it is often advantageous to TIGHTEN it more because that will give you the good rocking motion effect.

Also if a nut is coming out hard/stubborn, it wont hurt to do a couple turns out, then turn the nut back in. two or three out, one in to keep the threads clean.

all while using heat/penetrating oil

Emil Kniemel /

eff it.. ill just never change my rear brakes.

Can you sell me you cable then?

Its not that bad!!!! I tried the vice thing.. didn't work.

hammered on socket, and AIR IMPACTED off, not breaker bar lol

SOLUTION FOR OP

get a welder to weld a nut on it...

thats about a free fix. (edited)

Why can't you replace the cable? The knarp just screws of the back and it comes off.

Emil Kniemel /

i think he thought i wasnt gonna use my rear brake so he wants to buy the not to be used cable.

but yeah, i like hobbit rear brake cables.. trying to get some ahrdware for one myself.

Yeah I think I'll ask a friend to weld a nut on. Either that, or try cheetah's hammering method. I've taken these off before, but this one is just especially bad for some reason.

Steve Helmer ((Psyclomoteur Montreal) /

I didn't have any trouble getting the axle nut off of mine. The problem I had was getting the freewheel off of the nut. I tried every trick in the book to get it off.

It would not move.

I took it over to my uncle's auto shop and gave him a challenge.

He tried the same tricks as me with no success.

Finally he took a grinder to the inner race of the freewheel and expertly cut it in half without damaging the threads on the nut.

That thing was a SOB.

I gave my uncle a 12 pack of Bud.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account