Sachs 505 surgery

Matthew Andrade /

I'm going to be opening up my sachs 505 1a and want to replace crank seals and what not but while I'm in there can anyone else recommend what to replace the bike I think has 2000 original miles and I doubt anything has been done to this extent. Couple questions I have, what should I use to seal the case back up? Do I put oil back in the case? How much? What kind? Any other tips you might have would be appreciated.

Re: Sachs 505 surgery

- Replace seals, bearings, and gaskets. Bolts are optional. Bearings/seals can be bought through either treatland.tv or your local bearing shop. Gaskets also treatland.tv or make them yourself using the proper thickness of gasket paper; thickness really only matters with the base gasket. A thinner or non-existent base gasket with increase compression, but you would need to modify the piston to match up with the ports.

- The case halves don't require a gasket however you should use some sort of gas/oil proof sealer (ie: yamabond, rtv, etc). Most places that sell sealer you can ask someone that works there and they can point you to what you need.

- You will need to remove the clutch basket in order to replace one seal/bearing set. Be sure to keep everything in order when removing it. Best plan is to run twine, string, etc through each piece as its removed.

- There is a donut shaped piece at the base of the clutch pack. Take it which your hand and smack it down on a flat surface. This allows the spring inside to reset itself; sometimes they get funny.

- Once the engine is assembled and bolted back together you will need to add ATF to the crank case through the clutch cover. Remove the small plastic (sometimes metal) flat screw thingy from the clutch cover. Fill the case until some fluid leaks out from the hole. Replace the screw.

- Setting timing is easy on a Sachs. When bolting the stator plate back in just center the screws in the slots of the stator. Then install the magneto and bolt it on.

- There are links and plenty of info in the wiki (click here) including links to all the manuals you need.

- I don't remember the spec offhand but replace the decomp unit with a ball bearing and bolt. A small spring between bolt and ball is optional. Be sure to use some sealer on the threads of the bolt.

...If you need anything else feel free to ask. Also check out the Lover's of Sachs Mopeds facebook page.

Matthew Andrade /

This is prob a newbie question but how many seals and bearings do I need and are they both the same size? Also any special tools required for this operation? Typically how many miles will overhauls like this last?

Its all in the manuals that I linked to you but...

Seals: 2 on crank & 1 on main gear

Bearings: 2 on crank & 1 on main gear

I'm actually working on a couple wiki entries for Sachs regarding rebuilds. They're super easy to do but I know how pictures and some step by step can always help. Look in the Sachs parts manuals to find the parts numbers. I don't remember them offhand.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hijack this guys thread, but I'm currently rebuilding a 1980 Sparta Deluxe with a Sachs 504 1a. It only has 450 original miles on it, but yo the best of my knowledge it has not been used since the early to mid 1990s though I was assured that it ran when it was put away. Should I look at undertaking a similar project and replace all of the seals and bearings, etc as well before trying to start it up?

Chris Elliott Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm sorry, I don't mean to hijack this guys

> thread, but I'm currently rebuilding a 1980 Sparta

> Deluxe with a Sachs 504 1a. It only has 450

> original miles on it, but yo the best of my

> knowledge it has not been used since the early to

> mid 1990s though I was assured that it ran when it

> was put away. Should I look at undertaking a

> similar project and replace all of the seals and

> bearings, etc as well before trying to start it

> up?

Id recommend read Fred's Guide (front page of the wiki) for a great overview of what all you need to go over before firing her up. Id recommend doing that so you at least know what you're starting with. If it was sitting in the elements at all or was stored with liquids in it I would drain it completely, check the tank for rust, hook up a fuel filter, refill the case with art then try to see if it runs... even if only briefly.

504s also require 3 each of seals and gaskets. Feel free to email me at pandamopeds13@gmail.com if needed.

Sounds good, thanks!

No problem.

Hey man I found your email on this thread.

I'm rebuilding a 505 1A and putting in a D crank piston and cylinder etc.

I'm replacing the bearings and seals on the crank right now, but I'm nervous about the spacing between the pieces on the clutch side of the crank.

Per these diagrams the pieces on the crank go small washer > bearing > bigger washer > seal > washer with holes > bushing.

My issue is after I place all the pieces on, the bushing pushes everything down too tightly and I feel like the bearing isn't spinning freely as it should. Ideally, the bushing should catch on the thicker part of the shaft that the bearing sits on, and not compress the pieces below it, but the pieces below it extend beyond the lip of the thick part of the shaft.

Maybe I have the bearing on backwards? I thought they should go on with the lips facing inwards however I think I read somewhere that the lips should face outwards? If this is true then it may fix my problem.

Let me know any advice you have on this, I'd like to get it right the first time.

Feel free to get back to me here or @ 937-657-1179 if you're willing.

Thanks,

Ryan

> Josiah McCoy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Chris Elliott Wrote:

>

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I'm sorry, I don't mean to hijack this guys

>

> > thread, but I'm currently rebuilding a 1980 Sparta

>

> > Deluxe with a Sachs 504 1a. It only has 450

>

> > original miles on it, but yo the best of my

>

> > knowledge it has not been used since the early to

>

> > mid 1990s though I was assured that it ran when it

>

> > was put away. Should I look at undertaking a

>

> > similar project and replace all of the seals and

>

> > bearings, etc as well before trying to start it

>

> > up?

>

> Id recommend read Fred's Guide (front page of the wiki) for a great

> overview of what all you need to go over before firing her up. Id

> recommend doing that so you at least know what you're starting with. If

> it was sitting in the elements at all or was stored with liquids in it I

> would drain it completely, check the tank for rust, hook up a fuel

> filter, refill the case with art then try to see if it runs... even if

> only briefly.

>

> 504s also require 3 each of seals and gaskets. Feel free to email me at

> pandamopeds13@gmail.com if needed.

i think your bearing's just not on far enough. also the washer behing the bearing is super duper paper thin. you might have the wrong washer in thre. also I dont think you actually need that washer behind the bearing anyway

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account