Puch Maxi petcock installation?

Hello, I am new to the moped community and purchased my first moped in fall of 2015. Unfortunately one day my petcock broke on my commute and gas leaked out, I got fed up and stored the moped away until I decided to fix it myself after spending a ton of money on some previous repairs.

When I took the old petcock out (see attached photo) It looked to me like something from the tip was broken. I installed the new petcock and tested how the moped runs and it seems that there was no more fuel leakage.

My questions are the following:

1) Does it look like something broke off from the old petcock got stuck in the fuel tank, and if so should I be worried?

2) Just because my fuel does not leak from the petcock gas valve does that mean I installed it correctly?

Re: Puch Maxi petcock installation?

It's broken...you can see what a complete one looks like below

http://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=Maxi+petcock

Just buy a new one. Having a new petcock is more than worth the money

Is it possible that there was something attached in the broken part and inside the fuel tank now?

New one is installed already. However, just because I do not see any fuel leak around the petcock, does that mean I installed it correctly?

Take pic of the newly installed petcock, if its not leaking youve probably done it right tho.

It is possible that a broken of piece might still be in there, but only way to check is to look. I dont think it can do much harm tho, as it wont fit through your petcock let alone your filter in the carb.

Patrick Keaton /

The fuel filters and/or the reserve pipe would be the main problems to worry about. Worse case your reserve would be the same as the on position and/or your fuel would not be filtered.

what you left behind is just the filter end of the petcock tube and if you got time you can shake it out, But can be left in there....I know guys that have left a few of them in there and have no problems but really it comes down to how much you want it out, it will still run fine with it sitting in the bottom of the tank...

I attached a photo of how it currently looks like with the new petcock installed. Here is a website: http://www.treatland.tv/puch-maxi-GOLD-petcock-p/puch-maxi-petcock-ciao-gold.htm

The plastic piece that is close to the nut might even have gotten threw the screw hole...not sure if that is problematic in the long run. The plastic piece at the tip of the petcock was inserted successfully inside.

IMG_7486.JPG

Looks okay

Thank you for the post.

I concur!

The answers to both of your questions is no. You will not harm anything by having the filter sitting on the bottom of your gas tank. It is too large to block the fuel flow. As for installing it, it is hard to go wrong on installing a petcock. I suggest using Teflon tape on the threads, but it is not necessary. Good luck!

Why are the markings on the valve different lettering?

I would believe, on,off and reserve?

Thank you.

Z stands for ZERO or Off R of course is reserve.

R U saying that if you run on reserve the stock "ish "replacement fuel shutoff does not get filtered?

I cant remember what the Original position was for mounting the petcock.

I bought 6,and inline filter's, EVERY bike I work on has gummed up tank.

Not to mention the other Unbelievable things I find in the tank. A spark plug?.. that's a new one!

In that picture I see 3 black lines coming from it on the table...

I get yelled at for bringing carburetor part's in the house 😁

Maybe I'm learning something 2 day. On ,off,reserve, how hard it be? Except!, finding Weird stuff in the tank that shouldn't be there.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account