Garelli Clutch not engaging

Thomas Sparks /

So I have a 1980 Garelli that usually runs well, but a lot of the time when I have the clutch engaged and I pedal to start the bike it doesn't engage the motor at all and just spins the back wheel as if I wasn't pulling in the clutch at all. If I slowly crank it, it will catch and the motor will turn over but its not enough to get the bike started. Any rapid pedaling will cause it to slip. Any suggestions of places I should start to look for problems? Thanks.

P.S Here is a video of a guy who is having the same problem as me.

(edited)

Re: Garelli Clutch not engaging

Peter Turenne /

One of two things comes to mind either a full clutch rebuild but usually that's if it won't disengage or the piece on the inside of the clutch cover that pushes on the plate is broken off. But take it one step at a time I'd say check your clutch cable tension and see if it is pulling the clutch arm all the way in. When I installed a new carb on my bike after replacing all the cables I thought my carb tuning was to blame for not starting promptly. Turns out my tension on the clutch arm was loose enough to give the effect as if it was engaging sometimes able to start it but giving me a work out every time I started the bike. It's always important to trouble shoot in steps in order to save time money and headaches down the road for what may be a simple fix.

Sounds to me like you just need to tighten up your starter cable.

If it's almost tight enough, you should be able to just use hollow adjuster bolt. If you don't have enough throw left on that, you'll have to take up some slack and reposition the knarp.

JR

Peter Turenne /

Yup what JR says

Kevin Bishop /

Rubber clutch bushing dissintegration maybe

Do you have a VIP or noi engine?

Thomas Sparks /

Thanks for all the advice guys. I was able to tighten up the cable and solved the problem right away. Must have come loose with use. Thanks again.

What is a ?..knarp ?.. I'm rebuilding a 1979 and there was no clutch, starting cable... so I'm trying to retro fit a universal cable to just get her to kick or burp. Thank you Robert.

> Rob Healy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What is a ?..knarp ?.. I'm rebuilding a 1979 and there was no clutch,

> starting cable... so I'm trying to retro fit a universal cable to just

> get her to kick or burp. Thank you Robert.

This

malossi-knarp-373640C-2.jpg

Thank you, cable end stop. Got it, will be on the bench tonight. I'm ignorant to that term. But it's a good name for a cat.

Knarp knarp knarp.

I go fishing for bass and all I catch is knarp.

Dont get greedy with your adjustments

20161015_005956.jpg

I hate garelli

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account