Motobecane Treats CDI Brake Light Help!!

Hey-

I can't figure out how to get my horn and brake lights wired with the Treats CDI. I have stared at the wiring diagrams over and over and when I hook it up that way the headlight and tail light are off and only come on when I press the brakes. It's like everything is reversed. I have tried every imaginable thing I feel. Can anyone help?

Re: Motobecane Treats CDI Brake Light Help!!

Do you have a light switch? Sounds like you have wired your main power through the wrong end of your harness. pics?

Hi Mikey - thanks for your help. I dont have a light switch (the one that is on the headlight itself). I combined the three white wires like Myron's chart said to do if your switch is broke. Should I get a switch of some sort? I'll take pics later today.

Pic of Myron's

2016-03-23_08-39-21.png

I assume you connected the yellow lights wire from the CDI to the white wire in your harness? Or did you run a split to both brown and white? Do you have a multimeter?

Hi Chris,

I ran yellow from CDI to voltage regulator and then red off voltage regulator to white and brown. If I keep it that way - headlight stays off until I press brake. If I remove brown altogether from power headlight and taillight stay on but no brake light. I really appreciate you taking time to help.

Matt

With brown connected, does your horn work?

no - the horn does not work with brown connected.(edited)

I'm no electrical guru, but here is how I would tackle this: First, I would disconnect the brown or violet connector on the horn to eliminate it as a variable. Then I would take a multimeter, and with the bike off, check continuity at each section of harness in both the white and brown circuit, using one probe at the connector that is connected to the stator/regulator-out wire (B0, W0). So you could start with the black probe at B0 and check continuity with the red probe at the B1 connector that connects to the wire with the B0 end. (Also, all of your buttons should have continuity through them when not depressed.) So if you are looking at Myron's wiring diagram, you would have the black probe at the female connector of B0 (the C-shaped end with 'small' underneath) and the red probe at the B1 female end (the red circle in B1 is touching it). If B1 shows a good reading, continue to B2, etc... If everything has good continuity all the way to their grounds, I would then check for good voltage on the white circuit with brown connected to the regulator and the bike idling. So, with W0 connected and your multimeter set to AC and at least a 12V setting, I would connect the red probe to one half of the W1 connection and the black to W2 and see what kind of voltage you get there. If it's good (probably not 12V at idle but maybe around 6-9V, I'm not sure of what range it would be exactly), move to the next connector in the harness... If not, move toward the next connection in the harness toward the stator/regulator, and finally the voltage out of your regulator to W0. You could also try keeping track of everything in a spreadsheet, and have a look through the 'Troubleshooting' section of the Electrical wiki . Good luck!

Motobecane-12V-Wiring-Diagramcopy.jpg
2016-03-2412.53.09pm.png

Firstly - the master switch on Motobecanes is sadly a piece of crap - best to hard wire the lights direct to the regulator and have lights on all ways.

The NoviPhone horn is 6v - so wired into the CDI accessory coil will make it very short lived - time to buy a 12vac horn - wire it directly to the accessory and put in a switch wired so it is 'ground to sound'.

I've had the same problem with my moby and found a lot of posts about this exact situation without some sort of solution.

I noticed after wiring exactly like this diagram , the entire light circuit was essentially turned into the brake/horn circuit. I figured this was because on the original magneto, there was a dedicated coil for each type of lighting circuit, and on the Treats le partie they now share the same one.

So what I ended up doing was taking out the brown wire from the split, and directed the ground from the headlight back into the brake/horn circuit via the purple wire, kind of wiring the circuit in series, which worked perfectly (my horn was out, so I bypassed that from the kill switch and horn itself). I'd assume if your stock switch & horn works you could direct the ground from the headlight back to the brown wire.

I don't know if I went about it right way, but hopefully it could work for others with the same problem.(edited)

Richard Camacho /

I have this exact problem on my 1979 motobecane 50v . Install the treats cdi as per the directions I found on line.the white wire and the brown wire were wired to the yellow wire from the stator and voltage regulator. When you turn on the lights the horn and brake light doesn't work unless I disconnect the white wire then my horn and brake light work. I cant fine anyone knowledge to figure it out to many negative suggestions but no action.

not sure if my text went through, here's what I was thinking regarding the wiring for your setup

image0.jpeg

Richard Camacho /

Thank you ollie I got the drawing my question is did you disconnect the black wire in the bucket with the narrow female that goes into the light switch or the one that goes directly to the headlamp.

My light switch wasn’t working so I bypassed it by connecting all the whites together (just like in the drawing earlier in the thread).

I’m guessing that one black is coming from your headlight and going to the light switch and then another black going from the light switch to ground on the frame. Try connecting the black from the headlight into purple going to the taillight. In other words, lifting headlight from it’s ground in order to get the brake switches working like were. Hopefully that gets you in the right direction.

Which Novi 120X version do you have? 2 coil or 3 coil - totally different wiring diagram for each.

Richard Eberline /

I have wired several mobys with the le partie CDI. No problems and everything works as it should.

Stop messing around with the original harness and switches, just hardwire the head and tail lights, wire up the brake switches and wire up the horn switch. DONE.

POWER is from the yellow wire after the regulator.

The anemic NoviPhone horn is 6vac and will fry with the 12v from the CDI going to it so get a horn that is loud enough to be heard.

Basicwithbrakes.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account