Slow Suzuki FA50

andrew thorsen /

My buddy got an 86 FA50 and we freed up the seized oil pump screw and replaced the piston rings and carb. Put 500 ml of oil in chain case. It runs ok but the top speed is only about 20 mph.

Any suggestions?

Re: Slow Suzuki FA50

Check for air leaks and if the carb was one of those knock-off ebay specials see if the main jet is a proper 78.5. Also burn the pipe out.

Also dump that fa50. That won't ever be fast. Or cool. Or good looking. Get a moby or Peugeot or puch or something else

FA/Z 50's are about is cool as it gets for a noped you knob. Add some base gaskets, buy a pipe, deck jug, carbon fiber reeds, and upjet for an easy 50+. Or just ride it bone stock making the reeds fart at 28mph and enjoy the view.

Mine does 35 on the flat and I've never decked or ported it. The mainrestriction onthese is the airflow. BBQ or torch the exhaust and bang the carbon out and drill some holes in the front of the air cleaner. Also, cutting back on the trans fluid to 300ml. Look through the WIKI up top and read fred's guide and you'll be dialed in.

Dirty30 Dillon /

steve miller Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> FA/Z 50's are about is cool as it gets for a noped

> you knob.

This is true

> Add some base gaskets, buy a pipe, deck

> jug, carbon fiber reeds, and upjet for an easy

> 50+.

This is not.

> Or just ride it bone stock making the reeds

> fart at 28mph and enjoy the view.

This is what you should do.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Performance_Tuning_a_Suzuki

They are tanks that are very reliable. The more shit you do for speed, generally the less reliable they become. I'd recommend upgrading to carbon fiber 3.0 - 3.5 reeds. Then clean your exhaust port/bake the pipe in a fire like he said. I got a FA50 once that did 11mph because the exhaust port and pipe where almost sealed up from carbon deposits.

Samuel Smith Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Also dump that fa50. That won't ever be fast. Or

> cool. Or good looking. Get a moby or Peugeot or

> puch or something else

I've always liked this one

http://garage.1977mopeds.com/build/FA+WOODY

FA50's are coooolllllllll!

they gave away 2 brand new, shiny red ones on "let's make a deal" last night

of course it was 1985

B.s. I have mine just over 40 on the GPS. Decked, base gaskets pipe, carb all that it ain't gonna do 50 but will do about 40

Case oil can destroy your speed if you have too much in

Arnold Palmeroy /

This is an extremely dead thread, but where can one get carbon fiber reeds for the FA50? I got the Boyesen 2 stage reeds but I'm curious if I'm leaving some performance on the table

Jack Rutherford /

Someone here got 70 mph on one. I’d keep working on it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account